Egg on ATI's face?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Higher than you? Lower than ATI or NV employees who frequent these boards? Lower than consumer reports, higher than Fox News?

If I ran a website that purported to be a general interest site providing objective or rigorous analysis of 3D, I'd damn well be more careful about my behavior, ditto if I spoke for my company on these boards, rather than remaining anonymous and speaking for myself.

By nature, analysis of 3D invloves questioning whats presented to you - thats what a responsible 3D analysis site should do.

damn,
can we have that X800 Pro preview already ? i am tired of all the speculations and arguments over minor issues. bring on the main dish ffs

DemoCoder said:
Higher than you? Lower than ATI or NV employees who frequent these boards? Lower than consumer reports, higher than Fox News?

If I ran a website that purported to be a general interest site providing objective or rigorous analysis of 3D, I'd damn well be more careful about my behavior, ditto if I spoke for my company on these boards, rather than remaining anonymous and speaking for myself.

And this is what Dave is doing asking the questions "I'm questioning why they would use a Linux based demostration instead of putting the effort into the primary target for consumers right away and hence have a better showing in reviews. I can see that WMV9 is hardly likely to be the highest priority for initial drivers, but I would have thought MPEG / DVD decoding would have been. Given the length of time we've heard boards have been available internally how long does it take to support a single codec under windows and hence how long will it take for them to support all those they have advertised?"

Personally I appreciate this kind of questioning because it's thinking beyond the PR that companies would have you eat on a daily basis. Would you appreciate ATI or Nvidia running a benchmark that no one heard of or was used by 2% of the population but neglect to show the one that is used by 98 % of user base? I think not, so why not question the what and the why to this issue, seems like a legit question.

DemoCoder said:
Higher than you?

I don't see how.

If I ran a website that purported to be a general interest site providing objective or rigorous analysis of 3D, I'd damn well be more careful about my behavior...

I don't see what behavior Dave needs to be "careful" about? I see no lies, deception, etc.

If I ran a website that purported to be a opbjective...and therefore had an obligation to its readers, not to IHVs, then if I were an IHV, I'd be damn well more careful about trying to pass off lies and deception to said web-site. (Read: Entire NV30 debacle.) And I'd expect to be questioned when things are done / marketed in a non-traditional way.

DemoCoder said:
What I find curious is your own bemoaning of various fan-boys on the forum and yet you only moan when they appear to have particular allegiance to one company. Equally (if not worse) vocal and even stupid members who have an opposing allegiance appear to go completely unchecked by you.

Because they don't run a website that claims to be objective. I hold you to a higher standard than them.

This is such a non sequitor as to actually qualify, I am very sorry to say, as troll-like. Either that or there are many more ati fanboys running websites than I'm aware of.

DaveBaumann said:
DemoCoder said:
I saw this working under OpenGL on Linux. Current DX drivers probably don't have a custom DXVA/VMR component.

Then why not do that rather than write something for Linux?

Programming resources are often not all that fungible. NV for whatever reason --maybe they see it as a competitive advantage, maybe they have a high opinion of the future growth of Linux, maybe as a market-leader they feel a responsibility to be inclusive-- seems to have a larger Linux team than ATI. It would make sense to me to ask why they don't use their Linux resources to do something else Linux-associated, rather than why they don't use them to do Windows coding.

Joe DeFuria said:
DemoCoder said:
Higher than you?

I don't see how.

If I ran a website that purported to be a general interest site providing objective or rigorous analysis of 3D, I'd damn well be more careful about my behavior...

I don't see what behavior Dave needs to be "careful" about? I see no lies, deception, etc.

If I ran a website that purported to be a opbjective...and therefore had an obligation to its readers, not to IHVs, then if I were an IHV, I'd be damn well more careful about trying to pass off lies and deception to said web-site. (Read: Entire NV30 debacle.) And I'd expect to be questioned when things are done / marketed in a non-traditional way.

Agreed

DemoCoder said:

You would be more careful then what/who? Dave? DC, your hardly one to be chiding about bias. Next too chalnoth your one of the most unrepentant nVidia fanb*ys here at B3D. I don't think that Dave could be more unbiased without becoming a wet noodle in terms of making his own personal judgments. Just where would you point out for an example that he is behaving inappropriately exactly, which post? [sarcasm]I can't wait for your Beyond3D diatribes to start if the NV40 is shown to be less desirable then the R420.[/sarcasm] Suddenly you will break into whining about leaving and not coming back. (like you did when the geforce FX series was such a flop compared to teh R300 series.) You've always be an nVidia fanb*y and if you had your own site .. it would only be more of the same.

All of your recent harassments directed towards Dave suggesting that he is bias are nothing more then a pathetic effort to stifle him from making any statement regarding unfavorable features of the NV40 with regards to the R420. I suppose though if things were inverted you would have nothing but praise for his reporting. What can he do if the R420 is generally a better product then the NV40 other then say so anyhow? It is the nature of his investigative job. Otherwise he might as well pack up and shut down B3D. You are being ridiculous in your assertions regarding his objectivity. It is your unbridled fanb*y bias that makes you see what he says as being un-objective in his assessments. This has been going on for some time and I think you ought to stop your absurd lamenting.

No, the original drivers were't 100% functional. Unless you think, for example, locking up my system when a game uses point sprites is "100% functional

Perhaps you just don't know how to set up your computer because the only driver problems i have ever had with my 9700pro are morrowind and nwns .

As for both of them going the same one . One company doesn't keep adding "bugs" to their drivers to get speed increases .

Doomtrooper said:
Dungeon Siege has it own frame counter, and shown in the top left corner .
Edit: I see you thought I was playing at 10 fps, think again ;)

Actually, I forgot how beutiful that game really is... lol. I'm currently running at the max res. which appears to be 10x7. Using 2xAA/4xAF and not dropping lower than 48fps and keeping steady at 60fps! :oops: That was a shocker for me... lmao, as I am on a FX5200U. :LOL:

Great game though, my kids and I have really gotten into it since yesterday. I installed it shortly after you replied.

Thanks man, ;)

Sabastian said:
DC, your hardly one to be chiding about bias. Next too chalnoth your one of the most unrepentant nVidia fanb*ys here at B3D.
While it may be fair to say the Demo Coder is more apt to correct misinformation that puts Nvidia in a bad light, to call him a f*nboy is absurd. Maybe he just like to challenge the herd like mentality that forms in such discussions. The label “f*nboyâ€￾ is really thrown around a lot. Lets reserve it for when someone makes arguments that have no technical merit and let cooler heads prevail.

The very same person you are protecting is the very same person who in this thread made that accusation against Dave because Dave caught him out, I would say that is definatly a fan type response, when they cant win an argument technically they abandon all reason and accuse the other of being Loyal to a particular IHV.

Democoder has brought this response on himself by attacking Dave.

nelg said:
Sabastian said:
DC, your hardly one to be chiding about bias. Next too chalnoth your one of the most unrepentant nVidia fanb*ys here at B3D.
While it may be fair to say the Demo Coder is more apt to correct misinformation that puts Nvidia in a bad light, to call him a <bleep> is absurd. Maybe he just like to challenge the herd like mentality that forms in such discussions. The label “<bleep>â€￾ is really thrown around a lot. Lets reserve it for when someone makes arguments that have no technical merit and let cooler heads prevail.

Nope the guy is desperate to put nVidia in as much of a positive light as possible. Fan... applies. He was always even before the launch of the NV30/R300 but that is going way back. Sure he makes technical arguments but that does not stop anyone from labeling chalnoth in a similar manner. I am tired of DCs childish complaining about the bias nature of B3D. He is getting silly about it and it is all to do with his sour grapes regarding his favorite IHV failing to beat the competition. Sure, I even read his posts for there technical merit but his slant is always there. I can put up with that but this incessant ranting about the supposed unwarranted bias Dave and B3D have, is at its core, the fan in him crying because his favorite company is being put in an unfavorable light in comparison with another rival. What are you supposed to call that anyhow? Sure it is a harsh label but warrented IMO.

Sabastian said:
I am tired of DCs childish complaining about the bias nature of B3D.

That's really my only complaint about DC. His IHV bias is obvious....which there's nothing wrong with in and of itself BTW. But when you have that bias...and then at the same time routinely slap at the "B3D community" with his perception of being biased one way, and then take jabs at Dave's integrity when everyone on the planet will attest to the objective nature of the content on the site, etc....it's just hypocritical IMO, and it does get annoying.

DC is certainly a valuable member of this community...it's just this particular trait that's irksome to see.

Joe DeFuria said:
Sabastian said:
I am tired of DCs childish complaining about the bias nature of B3D.

That's really my only complaint about DC. His IHV bias is obvious....which there's nothing wrong with in and of itself BTW. But when you have that bias...and then at the same time routinely slap at the "B3D community" with his perception of being biased one way, and then take jabs at Dave's integrity when everyone on the planet will attest to the objective nature of the content on the site, etc....it's just hypocritical IMO, and it does get annoying.

DC is certainly a valuable member of this community...it's just this particular trait that's irksome to see.

I don't deny he is technically inclined, far more then most. But an unwavering allegiance to one particular IHV even in light of undeniable facts is often referred to as what? I am not going to go on and on about this as I really don't care much about the label thing. I have to agree though the problem I have with his decorum as of late is the prodding at Daves/B3Ds integrity in a pathetic attempt to stifle Daves/B3Ds judgments regarding 3D hardware/Drivers etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back