DVD drive not reading DVDs

Deepak

B3D Yoddha
Veteran
I bought a new DVD combo drive (Sony). Few days back I tried playing DVDs. I used Nero Showtime, WMP, DivX player and some more players but none could play any DVD. Not even India coded DVDs. Is there anything wrong with that drive? What to do? Is there any way to run other region's DVDs? Any crack or something?

The drive should come pre-programmed for the region in which it was bought, but, as always, hardware may end up in the wrong region. In most cases you can flash a universal region code firmware or use a tool to deactivate the region code or simply change it or reset it. To do this it is extremely important that you get all the correct information about your drive model. Using the incorrect firmware will most likely make it unusable. In some cases, especially with Lite-On rebadged (which many Sony are), you can use a relatively safe tool to flip the region switch without changing firmware. This is good because the region-free firmwares are hacked and cannot be completely trusted.

You may also want to look into making Windows (XP) region free. Even with a region free drive, Windows wants to lock in a region, but this can be deactivated or reset.

Have a look here for region free firmware and tools, but be very careful in getting the right software for your hardware:

http://www.digital-digest.com/dvd/downloads/firmware.html
http://firmware.inmatrix.com/

All DVDROMs I have bought have come unset when delivered, including the drive in my Dell systems. PowerDVD offers the functionality of both displaying the current region and resetting it (using up one of the five allowable changes in the process). I guess other DVD player software has similar features.

I also believe windows XP device manager can do the same if you open up the panel for your Sony DVD drive. Should be a tab for region coding in that window.

There's also region free firmwares floating around the web that can be flashed to your drive, you can find a link to one good source from www.inmatrix.com for example.

It is still not playing any DVDs. The title is misleading, actually it is reading DVDs but not playing them. When I click on play nothing happens.

Interestingly when I attached it to my friend's PC it worked flawlessly, it played every DVD. He says it is an OS problem, so what should I do? Any suggestions?

Deepak said:
It is still not playing any DVDs. The title is misleading, actually it is reading DVDs but not playing them. When I click on play nothing happens.

Interestingly when I attached it to my friend's PC it worked flawlessly, it played every DVD. He says it is an OS problem, so what should I do? Any suggestions?

Try to uninstall the drive and reboot. Also make sure that DMA is enabled.

do you have any dvd software like windvd or powerdvd, I know I couldn't play dvd's in media player untill I installed one, I used the demo and when I uninstalled it they still played in media player

pegisys said:
do you have any dvd software like windvd or powerdvd, I know I couldn't play dvd's in media player untill I installed one, I used the demo and when I uninstalled it they still played in media player
Exactly. It doesnt sound like you have a proper dvd decoder installed Deepak. Everything you mention having installed in your first post wont do it.

kyleb said:
Media Player Classic has a built-in decoder and penty of other handy options as well.
Well....the one bundled with the K Lite codec pack does anyways.....:cool:

OK! I'll install PowerDVD later. Another peculiar thing happend....sometimes if a bad CD is put into it, the tray pops out and then it refuses to go back in. I am forced to restart the PC then.

Back