Dungeon Siege III

Lighting and particles were a strong point of the PS2 weren't they?
Particles were. Lighting wasn't normally, but BGDA managed 2 dynamic shadows per object, with no pixelation because they were stencil shadows and not shadow maps.

But this is all a matter of aesthetics anyway, and not a technology competition. A game doesn't look good just because it ahs some features or not. BGDA looked beautiful. Coming off that, DS was pretty bland with visibly lower poly models, less smooth framerate, less sophistiaced shadowing and lighting, etc. The only effect I remember appreciating was the transparent foreground objects, meaning you could walk into a house and see inside. That was cool. Otherwise it didn't have much to make it look attractive, especially compared to incredible achievements of BGDA on PS2. I also remember DS2 looking less attractive than the improved Snowblind Engine in CON.

Unlike previous DS games that lacked artistic flair and visual appeal, this one is covering everything from the looks of it.

Well, with Aesthetics it's going to come down to personal tastes quite a bit.

For myself I don't find BGDA all that compelling compared to Dungeon Siege. Mostly because of the very small and limited view area, relatively barren scenes, small levels, etc. I'll admit character models were definitely well done, but it completely fell apart when it came to the world and surroundings, IMO.

Dungeon Siege actually brought about a world that felt somewhat alive (at least more so than pretty much any other 3D rendered game up to that point) with expansive levels, absolutely claustrophic vegetation at times, huge verticality (first time seeing a waterfall pouring into a gorge had me just sitting there panning the camera, and moving around to see it from all angles), etc. And I really don't remember the lighting appearing significantly worse, though it may have indeed be technically worse.

I'm thinking this is just a point where our artistic tastes diverge a bit. As I feel, other than character models, DS had more artistic flair and visual appeal than BGDA.

All that said, I actually like BGDA more due to the more engaging gameplay, although its extremely limited view was hugely frustrating. To put it into perspective, I can remember the gameplay of BGDA as if I played it yesterday, but virtually nothing of it's graphics (I had to boot it up just now to see). While it's the exact opposite when it comes to DS. Forgetable gameplay but absolutely incredible visuals for the time, all IMO of course. :)

Regards,
SB

Well, with Aesthetics it's going to come down to personal tastes quite a bit.
I think that's true, for me, I'd rather have a small area very well done, than spread resources too thin. The lighting and particles made a huge difference to BGDA, with resources being more focussed. Big expanses of fairly uniform graphics, even if creating a fabulous scene, don't float my boat so much.

I've very much missed the particle and lighting effects of the PS2 titles this gen. DS3 is looking very nice in that regards, spanning both our tastes! I just hope they nail the gameplay. As you say, BGDA's game experience is very memorable. so few games have managed to reproduce it in the same way. Too many are PC ports, like Sacred 2, where the gamepaly just isn't as tight an involving. Considering how the hardware has improved, it seems odd that the gameplay has more often than not taken a step backwards from last gen.

I love the original DS, but the gameplay was all about building a large party (8 characters, or 7 and a mule). So far, I haven't seen more than one AI controlled henchman in DSIII, so that's a bit of a concern. Doesn't mean I won't like the game, of course, just that it bears more similarity to Diablo and BGDA than Dungeon Siege.

When I play DS these days, there are a number of mods I like to use:

Dark Elves & Light Elves 3.0
http://lisa.siegenetwork.com/elves/

Dungeon Siege Revived
http://www.star-tac.net/ikkyo/revived_beta/revived.html

Legends of Ultrae
http://www.siegenetwork.com/q?dir=Downloads&req=file&id=385

See Far LoA
http://www.siegenetwork.com/q?dir=Downloads&req=file&id=413

You can run with all of these mods together and get several new playable races, new weapons, substantially improved UI, much higher draw distance (hard to play without the See Far mod due to all the fog), and an entirely new single player quest for the MP map. Good times!

I love the original DS, but the gameplay was all about building a large party (8 characters, or 7 and a mule). So far, I haven't seen more than one AI controlled henchman in DSIII, so that's a bit of a concern. Doesn't mean I won't like the game, of course, just that it bears more similarity to Diablo and BGDA than Dungeon Siege.
That's probably the right course for a controller based, direct control game. PC point-and-click interfaces make group management easy and lends itself to party-based RPGs like Baldur's Gate. The console experience took the Baldur's Gate style and reworked it into more of a Gauntlet style, which was definitely more fitting.

Yeah consoles aren't really suited to a RTS style RPG (Dungeon Siege, Baldur's Gate, etc.) but are very well suited to action RPGs (Diablo, BGDA, etc.) as long as you tailor the game to console controller limitations.

I'm interested to see exactly how they are going to change the gameplay for DS 3 compared to the first two. Or if they are going to do something to make it easier to control multiple characters at a time, RTS style.

Regards,
SB

Gas Powered Games made a DS for PSP. It played just like BGDA or Untold Legends on PSP. I'm sure they'll lift those same mechanics, with a *Whack* button and the other buttons used for spells, with the stance shifts on the shoulder buttons.

Gas Powered Games made a DS for PSP.

Yeah. And then they went and called it Throne of Agony which meant that every time I played it I just pictured some bronzed hero stuck on a toilet with a bum like a Japanese flag after a bad curry experience.

Just hope i can wear a helmet asap or have other hair cut because the main character is one ugly mofo looks way to much like justin bieber with that hair.

Damn, while the graphics look decent it looks like they are abandoning almost everything that differentiated it from the all the other Diablo clones at the time. Moving to be more like Diablo and less like Dungeon Siege.

Kind of sucks that they appear to be abandoning the party based RPG/RTS based gameplay.

And dear god I hope they give us a proper PC UI. That inventory management system is a horror show compared to the simple elegance of the previous Dungeon Siege games.

I'll probably end up getting this anyway though as I'm a sucker for the mindless fun of Diablo style games.

Regards,
SB

Played a few hours in coop with the final retail (PS3) last night and had a good time. It's not a perfect game by any means--it's got its issues--but at the end of the night we both agreed it was a lot of fun.

So some random thoughts of the good, the bad and the ugly:

- The graphics on the PS3 version are mediocre at best. Occasionally the frame rate dropped during busy scenes, but it was never unplayable due to this.

- We played as the duo Reinhart and Lucas. It seemed like a good match up once we started leveling up and unlocking abilities.

- My initial impression with the abilities, proficiencies, talents and deeps was...confusion. I don't think the game does a very good job of teaching the player what the everything really does. Yes, you get a wall of text during the tutorial, however I had a bit of a hard time making sense of it all. After a few hours it all makes sense though.

- This game is surprisingly deep in its RPG elements for a console RPG. And it's not on an Oblivion level, but it's much deeper than Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance (my console RPG standard for fun).

- Reinhart starts off slowly and awkwardly, but once you get a few levels in he gets some really wicked spells--especially the one we called the "Pain Mat". It's a spell that not only slows down mobs that walk over it, but does damage. :)

- We had one boss fight that lasted a good 10 minutes, and it felt fairly epic once we downed him. The cool thing is we were totally changing up tactics, switching positions and complimenting each other along the way. It was a really good boss fight. I hope the are more like it!

- Gold is shared, doesnt matter who picks it up.

- Loot appears to go whomever the item is fitted for, no matter who picks it up.

- We played on the normal difficulty and (once we got past the demo area) we wiped a few times. Once during a mini-boss fight, once where we both got rushed in a hallway and another because we were laughing too hard (we were just having a good time with it all).

- The ability to revive someone by holding the R1 button over their body is cool and helps to avoid frustration. If you get hit by something during the rez, the meter goes back to 0.

- The chatty Mass Effect-like wheel is fine I suppose, but something about makes it feel boring. I cant put my thumb on it just yet.

- At first loot didnt appear to show up on the character, but I finally got a pretty awesome magic globe and in my characters hands you could see the fire--it was cool. :)

- There are side quests, they are fun, they are typical of what you'd expect for this genre (kill someone, get this lost ring, kill someone, I lost my husband, kill someone, FedEx, kill someone).

- So far the environments have been enjoyably varied.

- If you're playing local coop and the other play steps away, after 1 minute of sitting idle his player will begin to follow you where you go.

- If there is a way to give each other something we didn't see it (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist!).

- Reinhart is a badass!

- Pressing the Left Stick IN sucks up all the loot (sans items) near you. I didnt see this stated anywhere in the game, but it was in the reviews guide SE sent over.

- The really good loot is also rewarded to the players who explore. :)

in short: I'm having a really good time with the game via local coop despite it's issues. :) If you got any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Pleased to hear it! Shame about the visuals, as what's been shown so far has been very promising. I guess they overreached a bit. Sounds like it's well worth getting for us dungeon crawler geeks.

How do you target spells and archery? In the demo I used the melee character. I thought the visuals were so-so, but that the game seemed like it could be fun.

Is this game worth it for just single player? I tried the demo on pc so no worry about visuals and frame rate, but just not sure there's enough meat there to justify buying this one.

Is this game worth it for just single player? I tried the demo on pc so no worry about visuals and frame rate, but just not sure there's enough meat there to justify buying this one.

I tried the demo on PC to yesterday using a gamepad and I immediately fell in love...and insta bought it on steam!!

I love those type of games :D and will play it single as well...I don't have any worries...cool thing: for just 5Euros more, I got the special edition with Dungeon Siege 1 and 2 as a bonus on steam!!!

Great!

Back