Dirt has better graphics than GTHD & Forza2?

Doesn't Dirt only have one car on the screen at a time?

It should be a lot better in that case.

In one of the gametrailers user movies (origin gamespot), there one can clearly see several cars onscreen. You can also see the position number saying x/8, meaning 7 AI cars + youre car. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Though, this kind of makes the game fun to play. Sometimes. Other times its pure frustration. Sooo, it's a little from "yes this is fun" and a little from "but NO it isn't real and doesn't even look real" and it does ends up turning out a fun game, usually. Or did 10 years ago with CMR1.

:???: Who knows.

Well the physics in DIRT is looking good so far. But of course no car game so far is 100% when it comes to physics and realism, not yet. So far for greatest realism then there is GTR2 (PC) or Forza2 as the only real options.

But the game isn't out yet and all we have is videos so it is a bit hard to judge the final level of realism and physics this game will deliver! ;)

Edit: I mighr add that the game has different realism settings (arcade mode, 'realism mod', etc) and the settings for each recorded game session/dev interview isn't known!

Color me jaded, and though I haven't seen the finished product yet, I think the new Flatout has some of the best crashes and damage I've seen. Better than Burnout or Motorstorm, IMO of course.

If you haven't seen it, take a gander.

Well, maybe they started working on Overlord before they started working on Dirt - at least Overlord is also scheduled for Summer, where the two other ps3 games are targeted for fall and winter.

iirc overlord is developed by the dutch team triumph studios (makers of age of wonders), codemasters is only publishing it.

GTHDvsRealLifeXanavi.jpg

can you the tell the difference? if not then i dont think Dirt is better than GT-HD (Not yet GT5).

and you shouldnt compare this to either GT-HD or Forza, you should compare it to Motorstorm.

can you the tell the difference? if not then i dont think Dirt is better than GT-HD (Not yet GT5).

and you shouldnt compare this to either GT-HD or Forza, you should compare it to Motorstorm.

First many of the shots are post stamp size which makes it look better than the HD video. Second it is in replay mode which means 30fps and added effects like motion-blur, depth of field and higher detail and better lightning (real ingame play vs replay mode).
Third there is only one car to render and the track detail is below average, prebaked shadows and more (meaning more rendering power to render the car). Considering that in DIRT you can race with 8 cars all visible on tracks with far more detail than GT:HDs track.
So think about it, GT:HD has only one car (youre car) meaning no AI calculations, physics for only one car, only one car rendered. So of course the car could look better.
Really it is much like a techdemo, where a high detail object is rendered, but in a game you could not have multiple of those high detail objects and would have to scale down on the details! ;)

First many of the shots are post stamp size which makes it look better than the HD video. Second it is in replay mode which means 30fps and added effects like motion-blur, depth of field and higher detail and better lightning (real ingame play vs replay mode).
Third there is only one car to render and the track detail is below average, prebaked shadows and more (meaning more rendering power to render the car). Considering that in DIRT you can race with 8 cars all visible on tracks with far more detail than GT:HDs track.
So think about it, GT:HD has only one car (youre car) meaning no AI calculations, physics for only one car, only one car rendered. So of course the car could look better.
Really it is much like a techdemo, where a high detail object is rendered, but in a game you could not have multiple of those high detail objects and would have to scale down on the details! ;)

GT5 will even look better with having more cars on screen. GTHD is just an early demo with hardly any polish.

There is no higher detail in replay mode. Only thing that is added is DoF. Shaders, lighting, models are all the same.

GT-HD demo is built from PS2 assets and a PS2 engine with bumped up detail so it's nothing that should hint to how the final version of GT5 might look.

Do you think the final GT5 will have reduced detail with more cars on screen?
That is ridiculous. (you might also check the SPU utilization shot from GT-HD demo which showed only a fraction of the availbale processing power used for that demo)

There is no higher detail in replay mode. Only thing that is added is DoF. Shaders, lighting, models are all the same.

Ahh my wrong no change in car detail. But lighting can make or break how an object looks mostly independent of how detailed it's mesh or how detailed the textures are.:smile:

GT-HD demo is built from PS2 assets and a PS2 engine with bumped up detail so it's nothing that should hint to how the final version of GT5 might look.

Do you think the final GT5 will have reduced detail with more cars on screen?
That is ridiculous.

Depends on how many cars will be onscreen, if they will use non prebaked shadows, high detal trees instead of billboard trees and if they will do it at 1080p at 60fps. Many things to take into account.

(you might also check the SPU utilization shot from GT-HD demo which showed only a fraction of the availbale processing power used for that demo)

If I remember it correctly it was the PPE (2 threads) and 1 or 2 SPEs used for the GT:HD demo, thats quite a bit of the Cell's available resources (taking into account no AI and physics for one car). And by the way was it clear that the bars was for each thread/SPE becouse most things about it was speculations! ;)

No it's not.

For starters the track isn't even in a previous version of GT.

The version based on GT4 has been completely scraped, GT-HD is the "premium" version that was going to be released alongside the updated version of GT4, the technology in GT-HD is the GT5 engine at an early state of development.

Nebula said:
Depends on how many cars will be onscreen, if they will use non prebaked shadows, high detal trees instead of billboard trees and if they will do it at 1080p at 60fps. Many things to take into account.

It already runs at 1080p / 60fps, even at this early stage of development (more than 1 year before the actual game comes out!)

If I remember it correctly it was the PPE (2 threads) and 1 or 2 SPEs used for the GT:HD demo, thats quite a bit of the Cell's available resources (taking into account no AI and physics for one car). And by the way was it clear that the bars was for each thread/SPE becouse most things about it was speculations! ;)

...with the little detail left that those SPEs / PPU were very far from being fully utilized.

-

I'm quite aware that this track is not part of any GT on PS2 so far, but the environements / grass and track textures as well as some other objects seem to have their origin in the predecessor.

No it's not.

The version based on GT4 has been completely scraped, GT-HD is the "premium" version that was going to be released alongside the updated version of GT4, the technology in GT-HD is the GT5 engine at an early state of development.

The track graphics remind me a lot of GT4 with some enhancements. I think this track was going to make it in the original GT:HD which was nothing more than an enhanced GT4 engine. Or a track that was probably going to make it to GT4 and never made it.

I doubt there is anything in GT: HD that will be downgraded. I doubt it uses much from the PS3's capabilities and I even doubt this is the GT5 engine in work. I see nothing technically too advanced to suggest that the full game will suffer from less detail. Quite the opposite actually its technically nothing impressive.

What I see is Polyphony Digital's talent at using well their assets and creating great lighting. I am confident that GT5 will look much better than this.

Actually it has in one form or the other - if I'm not mistaken, it's the Grindelwald track from Gran Turismo 2. How similar they are, I'm not sure. It's been years since I played GT2.

Nebula,

On the difference between replay and in-game graphics - didn't nAo just recently already enlighten you on all the differences?

It already runs at 1080p / 60fps, even at this early stage of development (more than 1 year before the actual game comes out!)

Yes the game runs at 1080p at 60fps but if you read my post a bit slower you might have understood it.
You see I was talking about if the game will be able to mantain the 1080p res and60fps if they add more cars, non prebaked shadows, high detail trees that are not cross/star shaped billboard trees. And might as well add better lightning to that list (for ingame play). :smile:

...with the little detail left that those SPEs / PPU were very far from being fully utilized.

Link to prove that?

Actually it has in one form or the other - if I'm not mistaken, it's the Grindelwald track from Gran Turismo 2. How similar they are, I'm not sure. It's been years since I played GT2.
Still, GT2 is not a PS2 version of the game so my point still stands. ;)

I will have to try it now to see if it is the same as I cannot remember it either.

Nebula,

On the difference between replay and in-game graphics - didn't nAo just recently already enlighten you on all the differences?

I don't think I have spoken with nAo about GT:HD, you might be refering to another game and another discussion, cheers! ;)

I don't think I have spoken with nAo about GT:HD, you might be refering to another game and another discussion, cheers! ;)

You're right, my mistake, it wasn't you. It just happens to be very disturbing having the same old debate with nearly every member every now and then... after all, we all read the same forum and there aren't that many new topics/post. Or maybe I read too much and should get a life. Oh well.

It's in the GT5 thread, page 7.
Cheers Phil

I think you may, in fact, be mistaken. This is a completely new track, afaik.

SPE power isn't going to be the limiting factor when putting multiple cars on the screen at once. It is going to be the six fold increase in polygons, cubmap calculations, shaders, texturing, etc. that are all going to fall on the lap of the RSX... not Cell.

regardless of replay mode enhancements (and of course there is something different -most likely AA or the game would not slow down to 30FPS)

...the facts of Nebula's post that remains is the part about the prebaked lighting and the fact that there is no AI or physics or rendering of ANY OTHER cars in GTHD. Let's please stop comparing this tech demo to games that are nearly feature complete as examples of which is best.

Back