Digitimes: PS4 entering production end of this year ?

loekf

Regular
Rumor from Taiwan... Sony will replace the Move controller by a Kinnect clone ?

===

Sony to start production of PS4 at end of 2011, say Taiwan makers
Aaron Lee, Taipei; Adam Hwang, DIGITIMES [Monday 4 July 2011]

Sony will have Taiwan-based partners begin production of PlayStation 4 (PS4) featuring body movement-based control like Kinect at the end of 2011 for launch in 2012, according to Taiwan-based component makers.

Foxconn and Pegatron Technology, assemblers of PS3, will undertake assembly of PS4 as well, the sources pointed out. The planned shipment volume of PS4 in 2012 is at least 20 million units, the sources indicated.

If anything they should combine move with it's controllers to kinect-like body tracking. One without the other is pretty lackluster imho.

Also, I'm fairly certain that rumor was pulled out of thin air. Pretty sure they won't start HW producing before end of next year at the earliest but more likely not sooner than half a year before actual release and I can't see them releasing any time before Christmas of 2013, Christmas of 2014 being more likely.

Does Taiwan also have an equivalent to April fool's day?

I mean in theory - there's a patent out there for some kind of device that can detect full body movement, but it completely doesn't stroke with the PS Vita launch schedule. I just can't see them do both PS Vita and PS4 basically at the same time.

Sony launching the PS4 in 2012, without announcing it during E3 2011?

Highly unlikely, in my opinion.

If anything, I'd say it's most probably a new iteration the PS3 slim. For example, using a single 28nm SoC (or MCM) with both Cell and RSX and having the same size as the Wii U (PS3 Mini?).
Also maybe coming with Move controls and/or underpricing the Wii U at a fair margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's one number we can use to discredit the entire rumor, the claim that Sony reportedly plans to sell 20 million units in 2012. Unless they are launching the PS4 by March world-wide and with a $199 price point, there is basically no chance of that happening.

I've mixed feeling about it, on one side it would be such a huge surprise that I find it unlikely.
On the other it would be pretty interesting to see Sony and Nintendo takes Ms its pant down this time around.
As for the sales figures, clearly it depends on the price point, the supply and what the system offers. The Playstation brand is still incredibly strong in Japan and EU and potent in US, a Wii like first year with the proper product is not out of reach for Sony.

The good thing for Sony is Move controller is good enough. They can just reuse the old move controllers with ps4. The camera on the other hand needs serious work if they want to make it useful for anything but casual games.

I doubt ps4 would go to mass production by the end of the year. Perhaps some sdk kits for devs or somesuch are possibility.

What about a Wii-style move? Take the old generation console, slightly updated tech, launch it with a new motion controller and a lower price. Wii U doesn'ìt seems that much faster than this generation. Maybe Sony wants to follow the same route.
Something like a 8-SPU Cell@32nm, 1 GB GDDR5 and GF118 or a GF106

Unlikely, because as spoken here should have been shown at E3 and there are many first devs games ps3 being released between late 2011 and mid-2012.

But the event actually occurs is most unlikely...This "ps4" will be something like a ps3.5 (most probably coming ps3 "true slim" with Kinect like) with some "backward/forward compatibility" with games PS3* games as happened at the end of the generation psone titles like Dragon Quest VII and others specially prepared for "smooth"for coming the next console/ps2.

* If this happen developers now are being informed and prepared for this forward compatibility ...( code ..."Mode 1"= ps3 and "Mode 2" = ps3.5 smooth)

(same thing happened around 2003 talks about ps2.5... and coming ps2 slim,eyetoy etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a Wii-style move? Take the old generation console, slightly updated tech, launch it with a new motion controller and a lower price. Wii U doesn'ìt seems that much faster than this generation. Maybe Sony wants to follow the same route.
Something like a 8-SPU Cell@32nm, 1 GB GDDR5 and GF118 or a GF106

Sony is all about high-tech, if they changed their policy, they wouldnt release hardware like Vita.

And i dont see how Kinect-like camera would be relevant for Sony, its not like Move isnt selling well.

20m units shipped in first year is also bollocks.

Sony is all about high-tech, if they changed their policy, they wouldnt release hardware like Vita.

That's debateable, as Vita pretty much uses 'off-the-shelf' parts, with no doubt some customisation only for security. But it would mean they kill their PS3 investment early, and there's nothing that looks like that at all. But a redesign with perhaps even an OS overhaul bringing some Vita features to PS3 and perhaps some better Move support (making the two interfaces more coherent), that's in the cards I'd say.

Yes, its 'off-the-shelf', but still it will the most powerful handheld device when it'll launch.
MarkoIt suggested that they will go Nintendo route '8-SPU Cell@32nm, 1 GB GDDR5 and GF118 or a GF106' and nothing indicates that. They dont need to make new cell and blu-ray to be on top technologically.

Back