Did extremetech even review an NV40 or are they just FOS?

PaulS said:
Doesn't mean he's not stupid enough to refer to that as a heatsink, which was kinda my point :)
I kind of figured that, but figured he just couldn't be that stupid! :oops:

Scary, truly scary. :?

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
These (p)reviews are part of the pre-launch marketing campaign. There would be no point getting everyone to review cards at one speed, only to ship them at a different speed. If ATI comes out faster in a couple of weeks, what are people going to remember? ATI benched faster than Nvidia, because Nvidia hamstrung their own reviews? That just makes no sense at all.

Agreed. If anything the review samples would be clocked higher, not lower, than the production-level product. nVidia actually did this once a few years ago--with one of the original reference TNT(2?) variations--they sent review samples to THG where "Dr." Pabst (heh) obligingly "announced" that the shipping clock for the card would the 175MHz he used in his "review" (which was mainly an anti-3dfx attack.) When the cards actually shipped a few months later they shipped at 125MHz...;) IIRC, THG never went back and modified the original "review" to reflect reality, and the fiction succeeded in duping the witless at the time rather well, I thought...;) Yes, you'd get nowhere by advertising your products at slower MHz clocks than the ones you intend to actually support when they ship. Here's hoping nVidia gets enough nV40 yield to actually ship at 400MHz...;)

Back