Did extremetech even review an NV40 or are they just FOS?

My spider sense went off immediately when I read this page:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1567094,00.asp

The NV40 reference board we tested was a single-slot card, with a very quiet fan that ran at a constant rate. If it was changing speeds, the acceleration/deceleration ramp was subtle enough that we never noticed it. In addition, the GPU's back heat-sink remained almost cool to the touch, even during our most grueling tests.

Hmm... Either they are totally full of crap, or we have a surprise on our hands.

Not really - they're probably just counting it as a single slot card because of the backplate. As for the fan, isn't that about consistent with what other people have been saying? AFAIK, it's only noticeably loud before you install the drivers.

Well, I can buy the single-slot bit, as we know quite a few manufacturers are making single-slot versions. This has been established as fact. I can also buy the quiet fan bit, as we know from CPU coolers to PSU coolers that if you throw enough money at a fan you can make it quiet, no matter how hard it's working. The heat-sink remaing cool to the touch? Ummm, now that I find hard to believe...

Paul, the problem lies in the fact that they showed the promotional marketing picture and didn't even bother to say "Our card differs from the picture shown" or something of that nature.

surfhurleydude said:
Paul, the problem lies in the fact that they showed the promotional marketing picture and didn't even bother to say "Our card differs from the picture shown" or something of that nature.

Exactly..

They are showing that 2 week old PR pic.. And everyone KNOWS that the actual reference cards that were just sent to reviewers DOES NOT look like that.

My guess is that they claimed single slot simply because the backplate vs the 5800 ultra is 1 slot wide. As to the fan, I suppose it depends how loud their CPU cooling fan is. Compared to the xeon fan that I have strapped to my athlon (actually a pretty good fan!), I can't even tell I have a videocard fan, let alone any other fans my case!

Nite_Hawk

Singel slot or not, if anyone feel inclined to slap a PCI card in that top slot,
right ontop of the cards fan, it wont be very nice to aircirculation..

with all integrated stuff these days, who uses 5 PCI cards?

Sometimes at bigger publications, the guy who physically handles the board and runs the benchmarks isn't necessarily the guy that writes the review. I'm not sure that Dave does it like this, but it might be the case.

Well, if uttar is right, the 400Mhz core is alot lower then the shipping versions
will have, which according to his belifs, speculations or what it is, is closer to
475Mhz..

So these samples running at 400Mhz might not get that hot, if they indeed
are gonna ship with 475Mhz cores later on..

DaveBaumann said:
Sometimes at bigger publications, the guy who physically handles the board and runs the benchmarks isn't necessarily the guy that writes the review. I'm not sure that Dave does it like this, but it might be the case.
Eeew, really? That makes damn near no sense to me, but I'm weird that way. (I don't doubt you, I just can't fathom the logic behind that kind of decision.)

digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
Eeew, really? That makes damn near no sense to me, but I'm weird that way. (I don't doubt you, I just can't fathom the logic behind that kind of decision.)
bleh, that is like.. milli vanilli..

jolle said:
Well, if uttar is right, the 400Mhz core is alot lower then the shipping versions
will have, which according to his belifs, speculations or what it is, is closer to
475Mhz..

So these samples running at 400Mhz might not get that hot, if they indeed
are gonna ship with 475Mhz cores later on..

These (p)reviews are part of the pre-launch marketing campaign. There would be no point getting everyone to review cards at one speed, only to ship them at a different speed. If ATI comes out faster in a couple of weeks, what are people going to remember? ATI benched faster than Nvidia, because Nvidia hamstrung their own reviews? That just makes no sense at all.

jolle said:
digitalwanderer said:
DaveBaumann said:
bleh, that is like.. milli vanilli..

hahahah :LOL:

whenever someone gets a sample for review, they always take pictures, especially in cases like this where the product in question is so high profile.

their review is quite suspicious

Diplo said:
The heat-sink remaing cool to the touch? Ummm, now that I find hard to believe...

the back heatsink, and the 6800s i have seen don't have heatsinks on the back, the 6800s dont have any need for heatsinks on the back. i don't see how even Dave's milli vanilli explanation could possably mess things up that much.

digitalwanderer said:
PaulS said:
http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv40/images/bbm.jpg
Isn't that just a bracket/clamp to hold on the heatsink? :|

Doesn't mean he's not stupid enough to refer to that as a heatsink, which was kinda my point :)

Back