Demon's Souls Remake [PS5]

Very funny I launch the video I post of Dark Sou'ls 3 on PC and it cut with an ad of Demon's souls and the difference is huge.
I very much believe that what we remember playing in the past never actually matches the reality, if it's long ago enough. For example, in my memory Bloodborne looks like a CGI horror game, but when I booted it up last time I was like WOAH ROUGH! And this happens all the time. Heck, in my mind I think I look like a supermodel, but then every morning I look at myself in the mirror and :runaway:

I very much believe that what we remember playing in the past never actually matches the reality, if it's long ago enough.

Does it ever work out for the better? So if you were going to revisit Marvel's Avengers in 6 months time, maybe it'll be better...

I very much believe that what we remember playing in the past never actually matches the reality, if it's long ago enough. For example, in my memory Bloodborne looks like a CGI horror game, but when I booted it up last time I was like WOAH ROUGH! And this happens all the time. Heck, in my mind I think I look like a supermodel, but then every morning I look at myself in the mirror and :runaway:

I was thinking Bloodborne looks nearly as good I saw a comparison video and I said nope. Because the game is cross gen I am not sure Elden Ring will look as good as Demon's souls.

Just watched a kinda funny episode that I think probably was recorded yesterday and during the episode Greg Miller gets a key for a game and I bet it's Demon's Souls.
Lucky bastards.:mrgreen:

Edit: it was a Spiderman remaster code, damn was hopeful we would get some Demon's Souls impression today.

Last edited:
More I see of DeS PS5 less I am impressed? I fired up DS III on PS4 and I was surprised to see that it looks very similar to DeS PS5. Definitely looks like a cross gen title and the running animation is awful. Maybe it will blow my mind in person? I don't know but I am not very impressed by it. A stellar game regardless.

We can safely assume games are going to look next gen a few years in.

Demon's souls is not a cross gen title.

Is that an official statement? Since you work for Sony's gaming department, we can assume they will never announce a PS4 version?

I strongly disagree that DS3 looks rough today. Maybe on console? I'm replaying it at the moment on PC, only using a mod for disabling distant LOD and Special K for HDR and I still love the way it looks. What I like most about From's engine is the amount of polygonal detail they use. It does have some rough areas like the swamps, though.

This. I have no idea why Chris1515 metions the PC version at max being a whole generation apart. Ofcourse it depends on what you call a generation these days (as leaps are gone basically), but still.

For example, in my memory Bloodborne looks like a CGI horror game, but when I booted it up last time I was like WOAH ROUGH! And this happens all the time.

Yes this is true for most games i think. I fondly remember Far Cry instincts on og xbox, it was looking on another level, and that somehow kept in memory. But booting it again.....
On the other hand, other games from that same era still hold up quite well. MGS2 for example, it aged much better, same for Doom 3 and Zone of the enders 2, Halo CE, tekken tag. HL2 didnt age that well etc etc.
Seems that game design plays a big role there. I feel that modern day games strangely dont age as well as 6th gen games.

We can safely assume games are going to look next gen a few years in.

Is that an official statement? Since you work for Sony's gaming department, we can assume they will never announce a PS4 version?

This. I have no idea why Chris1515 metions the PC version at max being a whole generation apart. Ofcourse it depends on what you call a generation these days (as leaps are gone basically), but still.

Yes this is true for most games i think. I fondly remember Far Cry instincts on og xbox, it was looking on another level, and that somehow kept in memory. But booting it again.....
On the other hand, other games from that same era still hold up quite well. MGS2 for example, it aged much better, same for Doom 3 and Zone of the enders 2, Halo CE, tekken tag. HL2 didnt age that well etc etc.
Seems that game design plays a big role there. I feel that modern day games strangely dont age as well as 6th gen games.

Again need to see with your eyes. Have you seen any announcement for a PS4 version of Demon's souls, like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart where Insomniac told two days ago no PS4 version. This is probably the only two games where no PS4 version(less than 10 millions sales) with Astro Playroom and Returnal(new franchise).

If one other game have a PS4 version I take a bet it will be God of War Ragnarok because the games sold more than 10 millions on PS4 like Horizon 2 or Spiderman, maybe GT 7 too.

The PC version of Dark Soul's 3 is far from this game because the game is create for running as base level the Xbox One GPU. 4k resolution, 60 fps and better texture filtering will not change the low level geometry with normal maps with incorrect lighting, shadow and everything else one generation behind DSR. I watch the video in 4k ultra 60 fps this is clear the game are made for two different generation of console. After From Software games aren't the best looking games of current generation. The gap is not as big with TLOU2 for example but there is a gap and here the ligthing is fully dynamic not baked like in TLOU2.

EmivdAZXMAA9vqK

Last edited:
Again need to see with your eyes. Have you seen any announcement for a PS4 version of Demon's souls, like Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart where Insomniac told two days ago no PS4 version. This is probably the only two games where no PS4 version

No, i have not. On the other and where you the one telling me many times half a year ago that forbidden west would be a PS5 exclusive and launch close to PS5 launch day. i knew for a fact that this wasnt true and said many times its a past summer launch at best. Look it up if you have the time.
Same for it not being cross gen, it turned out to be on PS4 aswell, despite everyone going nuts about its graphics when first shown, actually, it was more intresting looking then DS.

Im not saying DS will be on PS4, but we dont know for sure. Sony just said as late as of yesterday theres a cross gen period. Ratched i can agree on though, as there is actually a official statement. With that said, aside from the SSD loading between worlds, i dont think it puts the PS4 remake of ratched to shame, as in a 7 year generation apart.

The PC version of Dark Soul's 3 is far from this game because the game is create for running with base the Xbox One GPU. I watch the video in 4k ultra 60 fps this is clear the game are made for twto different generation of console. After From Software games aren't the best looking games of current generation. The gap is not as big with TLOU2 for example.

Hm, maybe. But your forgetting that scaling actually has improved alot these days. Doom Eternal is surely developed with that xbox gpu in mind too? Yet it holds up quite well with the best looking games of the gen technically, 60fps at that. Same for RDR2.
Just because its running on Xbox one GPU doesnt automatically mean its going to be lacking on say a high end PC system or console.

Dont get me wrong, DS does look (much) better, kinda obvious because it is a 9th gen game. But i cant really say a whole generation apart from DS3 on a high end pc technically. Maybe compared to the console versions.
We cant either just deny a potentional PS4 version, as we saw what happened to other games that we previously thought where PS5 exclusives, despite 'next gen' graphics (whatever that means).

No, i have not. On the other and where you the one telling me many times half a year ago that forbidden west would be a PS5 exclusive and launch close to PS5 launch day. i knew for a fact that this wasnt true and said many times its a past summer launch at best. Look it up if you have the time.
Same for it not being cross gen, it turned out to be on PS4 aswell, despite everyone going nuts about its graphics when first shown, actually, it was more intresting looking then DS.

Im not saying DS will be on PS4, but we dont know for sure. Sony just said as late as of yesterday theres a cross gen period. Ratched i can agree on though, as there is actually a official statement. With that said, aside from the SSD loading between worlds, i dont think it puts the PS4 remake of ratched to shame, as in a 7 year generation apart.

Hm, maybe. But your forgetting that scaling actually has improved alot these days. Doom Eternal is surely developed with that xbox gpu in mind too? Yet it holds up quite well with the best looking games of the gen technically, 60fps at that. Same for RDR2.
Just because its running on Xbox one GPU doesnt automatically mean its going to be lacking on say a high end PC system or console.

Dont get me wrong, DS does look (much) better, kinda obvious because it is a 9th gen game. But i cant really say a whole generation apart from DS3 on a high end pc technically. Maybe compared to the console versions.
We cant either just deny a potentional PS4 version, as we saw what happened to other games that we previously thought where PS5 exclusives, despite 'next gen' graphics (whatever that means).

If you don't see the difference between Spiderman miles morales and Demon's soul's or Horizon 2 when we will see the gameplay it will just be an improved Horizon 2 PS4. Demon's souls will be far ahead and Horizon 2 is my most wanted game but from a visual point of view it will have it roots on PS4.

Demon's souls is possible on PS4 but it is tons of work and a port because assets need to be fully redone. This is like The Witcher 3 on Switch...

You can make Ratchet and clank too but wait 1 minute or more between each portal will make the player bored.

Scaling on Dark Soul's 3 doesn't improve the geometry, the VFX or the shading. It it the Xbox One version at 4k 60 fps, better AA and AF, better IQ and framerate nothing more.

D0n't compare From Software with two of the best teams from a technical point of view making games ID software and Rockstar North.

If you don't see the difference between Spiderman miles morales and Demon's soul's or Horizon 2 when we will see the gameplay it will just be an improved Horizon 2 PS4. Demon's souls will be far ahead and Horizon 2 is my most wanted game but from a visual point of view it will have it roots on PS4.

Maybe, you know, games are being designed for the PS5, with a PS4 version in mind. We dont exactly know that yet, in special for forbidden west.

at 4k 60 fps, better AA and AF, better IQ and framerate nothing more.

Well, you are basically describing many next gen features there. Quite the list. Account for higher settings aswell and were not a 'whole gen apart'.

D0n't compare From Software with two of the best teams from a technical point of view making games ID software and Rockstar North.

Thats quite the statement dont you think? I sure see from software as a very potent developer studio, no reason to put it down like that. Rockstar and ID obviously have much more resources, but that doesnt mean From software cant achieve some very close impressive scaling tech going on, even if not on par with those two named.

I tried playing "spot the obvious flat polygon rockface" game. It's a rubbish game and I failed miserably.

Yep. The sheer density and level of detail, at that image quality, is insane!

Don’t know what the point of speculating about a PS4 version is. If Bluepoint decide to release a PS4 version later on then good for them! But they’re on the record stating this is PS5 only and I think it’s much more likely that they may come out with a PC version, than trying to make this gorgeous game work on a PS4. Maybe that’s just me.

Maybe, you know, games are being designed for the PS5, with a PS4 version in mind. We dont exactly know that yet, in special for forbidden west.

Well, you are basically describing many next gen features there. Quite the list. Account for higher settings aswell and were not a 'whole gen apart'.

Thats quite the statement dont you think? I sure see from software as a very potent developer studio, no reason to put it down like that. Rockstar and ID obviously have much more resources, but that doesnt mean From software cant achieve some very close impressive scaling tech going on, even if not on par with those two named.

I discover some trees in Horizon 2 Forbidden west coming directly from the PS4 version and they look not as good as the new tree in Miles Morales(they needed to do naked tree because of winter) or Demon's soul's. Out of new assets, some of the assets were PS4 assets into the last trailer. The snow part was less impressive than the desert, tropical/beach/swamp part because of this. Maybe the title releasing later they will improve all this part.

From Software is a top level studio from a gameplay, game design, level design and art point of view, technically they aren't touching the best studios. Out of Capcom or Kojima productions, japanese studios are less proficient from a technical point of view.

Yep. The sheer density and level of detail, at that image quality, is insane!

Don’t know what the point of speculating about a PS4 version is. If Bluepoint decide to release a PS4 version later on then good for them! But they’re on the record stating this is PS5 only and I think it’s much more likely that they may come out with a PC version, than trying to make this gorgeous game work on a PS4. Maybe that’s just me.

A PS4 version is feasible but it is a port they probably need to redo most of the assets. This is like The Witcher 3 port on Switch. They can outsource the port to another studio.

EDIT: IQ and framerate are a tiny part of a new gen. Assets quality improve greatly(geometry and texture). Next generation we will begin to talk about 1 polygon per pixel sometimes and 1 texel per pixel everywhere. Lighting will improve a lot with some GI solution like SVOGI or Lumen will be be more common, we will see shadows or raytraced reflection. Particles and VFX will be much better. Animation will improve a lot in gameplay. Physics will improve a tons after a regression current gen. 3d audio will improve a lot too.

EDIT2: And hair strand not more hair card in cutscene.:D

Last edited:
Every single video I’ve seen is with the 4k60 mode. I’m really curious to see what the “quality” mode looks like, as this one already looks incredible?? Not that I’d ever play a DS game at 30fps but I’m very curious to see it. If it’s just native res then I’ll be very happy indeed.

Back