dells's 24 inch widescreen lcd.

epicstruggle said:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1764466,00.asp

nice review of an lcd that got released today. :) Time to sell the 20's and buy a couple of 24's.

epic

Must have gotten another big raise, eh?

I was having a hard time finding this turkey on Dell's site. :? Anyone with a proper linky? Some of us got a phattie tax refund... :p

lol, actually those 2 lcds monitors are going to be part of a new security system we are installing at one of the motels. :) Hehe, the system will have 1gb of ram, and over a 1tb of HD space.

hey the price on the 24s is a reasonable 1200 dollars. and if you time it right im sure you can pick them up sub1000$ within a month or two.

epic

epicstruggle said:
lol, actually those 2 lcds monitors are going to be part of a new security system we are installing at one of the motels. :) Hehe, the system will have 1gb of ram, and over a 1tb of HD space.

hey the price on the 24s is a reasonable 1200 dollars. and if you time it right im sure you can pick them up sub1000$ within a month or two.

epic

I think you've fallen right into the corporations hands by thinking $1200 is a reasonable price to spend on a monitor.

ANova said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

I think you've fallen right into the corporations hands by thinking $1200 is a reasonable price to spend on a monitor.

Shouldn't LCD screen parts be cheaper to produce than CRT parts? They have a plastic screen instead of glass, and are much lighter and smaller.

The LCD substrate is glass.

And $1200 for a 24" monitor is about $400 cheaper than anybody else does.

Still too rich for me, though.

But glass is pretty cheap.

Even the glass they put in LCD's is fairly cheap at least according the the folks I spoke with at corning about it. Although the manufactureers of it make a good margin on it still, b/c there is not enough competition to drive it to cutthroat levels.

However I think due to the nature of LCD's and the likelihood of errors as size increases the cost is justified currently. In other words it will take continued strides in manufacturing, either some kind of nano-surgery to replace bad areas, or much better manufacturing to make bigger panels cheap.

Fox5 said:
ANova said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

Shouldn't LCD screen parts be cheaper to produce than CRT parts? They have a plastic screen instead of glass, and are much lighter and smaller.

LCDs are extremely advanced and difficult to produce, it took these companies many years to get to the kind of quality we are seeing today. It's actually quite amazing when you think about it; consider each pixel must be controlled by three transitors (one for each color) and a driver chip for the horizontal and vertical axis. Now consider that a 20" screen capable of 16x12 res has a total of 1.92 million of these pixels. The way in which liquid crystal reacts makes it very difficult to get good contrast and response times as well since there are tradeoffs. And no they do not use plastic, they use glass layers, which must be sandwiched together perfectly and with no bubbles. The glass must also be perfectly flat.

Yeah, it is a marvel when you think about it, but even after all of this I just can't justify spending more then a grand on a 24" screen.

So is the cost high due to low yields or because the technology cost so much to produce and they want to recoup the losses?

Fox5 said:

Cost of materials has virtually no bearing on a product's value.
End of story.

ANova said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

I don't know, $1200 doesn't really seem all that bad to me. I mean, look at how much 21" monitors from the early to mid 90s cost. They were at least $1200 if not more, and this monitor is both bigger and has a higher resolution. Not to mention that if you figure in inflation, $1200 is more like $850-950 in 1990s dollars.

I doubt it will stay at $1200 very long either. With the way LCD prices have been steadily falling, I don't doubt that we'll see it under $1k reasonably soon.

Nite_Hawk

Fox5 said:
So is the cost high due to low yields or because the technology cost so much to produce and they want to recoup the losses?

I think it is both, but I also think that in this case there should be a way developed to fix LCD's after they are produced if they have defects. I think someone could figure it out.

Back