Dell has VisionTek 5850 for $252...

Nice for basically an almost free upgrade. :) Did you thank the movers? :D

Regards,
SB

Heh. Overall, they did a good job -- the only thing really damaged was a glass fishbowl (that I didn't care about), a broken crosstitch thing for my wife (wooden ring thing that cost $4 to replace), and then somehow they found a way to drop my gaming machine hardcore. I've got one of those ThermalTake Armor cases that's made of cold rolled galvanized steel; the damned thing weighs 40lbs completely empty. And they put a whopper of a dent in it.

The water pump coming unstrapped from the floor of the case is what ended up damaging the 2nd video card hulk-smash style; fortunately the water loop didn't leak (it was mostly empty) and the pump wasn't damaged. But it shot all the drives out of the tool-less drive bays when all the plastic pins were sheared off, and broke several fan clips so that I had two 92mm fans rolling around in the case free.

About $600 later, they replaced the case, the two drives, and about 3/4 of my new video card :) I'm not sure if I really want to thank them for that though, know what I mean?

My computers are one of the things that always go in the car when moving, not in the truck.

My computers are one of the things that always go in the car when moving, not in the truck.

Eight cubic feet of comptuter wasn't going to fit in a car that needed to house clothes for two adults for five days, a rat in his cage, irreplaceable china place settings and crystal stemware, two pillows, a blow-up mattress, a 50qt ice chest, three potted plants and a bag of dry goods.

In a '99 Nissan Maxima across eight states and 30 solid hours of driving.

The computer can be fixed :)

Last time I moved I had the computers on the truck - inside a locked car packed by me and "moved" by the movers.

Not everyone lives on the east coast. Some states take over 10 hours by themselves (try driving from El Paso to texarkana) to .

I don't live on the East Coast either, but it's hard to even drive across 8 states and not be on the East Coast.

Heh. Try driving across Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Misery, Illness, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania in less than 30 hours without winding up dead or behind bars. :)

Heh. Try driving across Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Misery, Illness, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania in less than 30 hours without winding up dead or behind bars. :)

I've driven Illinois -> California in < 30 hours. Also Minnesota -> Eastern Pennsylvania AND BACK (with a stop over in Michigan both times) in < 30 hours. I don't do the speed limit ;)

I speed quite a bit too Shaidar, but to cross the states I mentioned in that order is about 2,700 miles. I doubt you can maintain 90 mph for that distance with stops for gas, water, food and cops. Be serious. Even if you average 85 on your spedometer, with stops and traffic you'll be lucky to average a real 75 mph.

Chicago->SF is more like 2,150 miles or 72 mph average so you done good, but nowhere close to 90.

I speed quite a bit too Shaidar, but to cross the states I mentioned in that order is about 2,700 miles. I doubt you can maintain 90 mph for that distance with stops for gas, water, food and cops. Be serious. Even if you average 85 on your spedometer, with stops and traffic you'll be lucky to average a real 75 mph.

Chicago->SF is more like 2,150 miles or 72 mph average so you done good, but nowhere close to 90.

I don't think it's quite 2700 miles from Utah to Pennsylvania, that sounds a bit high to me.

I maintained an average speed of 80+ on both trips, hence the time involved. It was Chicago to LA, also ;) The long way at that, good old Route 66!

We're really de-railing the thread though so we should stop :p Continue via PMs if you like.

This was northern Kentucky to Southern California, so 2200 miles and two stops. Basically three ten hours days at quite a bit over legal speed :)

That makes more sense. I guess I'm more willing to drive for extended periods of time at high speed than most people are.

That makes more sense. I guess I'm more willing to drive for extended periods of time at high speed than most people are.

I used to be able to pull 16 hours in a stretch behind the wheel. I used to "commute" from Colorado Springs to Hampton VA. Today I can only break 10 hours if most of them are at night. For whatever reason, long (6+ hours) drives in the day make me sleepy.

And, yes, Southwest Utah to Philly is about 2,700 miles.

The old route 66 from Chitown to LA is about 2,200 miles, so if you averaged 80 it would be 27.5 hours. With a 30 mpg / 18 gallon car that's 5 stops for gas at zero mph for about 10 minutes each or nearly one full hour at zero. That means your speedo had to read 83 mph the whole way. Not bad. In my younger years I normally did 85-90, but now I stick to about 9 over the limit as I hate tickets - especially the >20 over "reckless driving" ones :(

I once did Wiesbaden to Breda (Netherlands) at absurd speeds (200-240 kph) but there are no trucks in the fast lane there :)

I drove to ID from PA straight (also over 2000 miles). No stops except food or gas. So I don't think you are the only one willing to drive for extended periods of time at high speed shaidar :). However I am not suicidal and had a driver to rotate with (especially good since I started after work at 5pm).

See, now I was going with my wife, who seems to have a bladder the size of a medium walnut :( If I tried to drive for 16 hours straight with stops only for gas and food and the occasional whiz, I'd be divorced before I hit Commiefornia :D

But I used to do that kind of thing back when I was single.

See, now I was going with my wife, who seems to have a bladder the size of a medium walnut :( If I tried to drive for 16 hours straight with stops only for gas and food and the occasional whiz, I'd be divorced before I hit Commiefornia :D

But I used to do that kind of thing back when I was single.

That's why you hand her a cup when she has to go pee, and say, "use this." My parents used to do that to me all the time when I was a kid. :p

Regards,
SB

That's why you hand her a cup when she has to go pee, and say, "use this." My parents used to do that to me all the time when I was a kid. :p

Regards,
SB

Shortly followed by a scene from "blood on the highway", starring what little would be left of me. :D

Back