Dell 3008WFP coming

Orbitech

Newcomer
Dell 3008WFP coming (First review from Extremetech is here)

Seems like Dell is ready to release the new 30'' model that will substitute the 3007WFP HC .

http://www.engadget.com/2007/11/12/dells-30-inch-3008wfp-display-to-rock-displayport/

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/12/world-meet-3008wfp-displayport

While Dell's original thirty-inch 3007 had some limitations in terms of limited resolutions and features, Dell is making sure that its next-gen part will meet every geek's needs..
Dell looked hard at all the faults of the 3007WFP and 3007WFP-HC and is now ready with its successor, after some nine months of development.
For starters, absolutely the worst feature that 3007 series was known for was connectivity.
The 3007WFP/WFP-HC shipped with only single dual-link DVI connector, which was abysmal compared to cheaper 2707WFP, 2407WFP and the 2405FPW. All three sported DVI, D-SUB, component and S-VHS connectors and had a USB 2.0 hub, plus 9-in-2 card reader

With 3008WFP, new benchmark will be set. This monitor comes with two dual-link DVI connectors, thus hardware testers will be able to hook up two testbeds via DVI, and one testbed via analogue D-SUB connection. This is only the beginning, since this baby also comes with Component, S-VHS, Composite in, USB upstream connector (for 4-port USB hub and 9-in-2 card reader). This normal (for 2405/2407/2707 monitors) is expanded with both Displayport and HDMI connectors.
If you use HDMI-DVI converter such as one from Hiper, you can connect a testbed #4 onto this monitor, while Displayport enables you to test Displayport graphics cards, meaning computer n umber five.
The video processing chip in the monitor will enable decent resolution scalability, so you will be able to use 2560x1600, 1920x1200, 1920x1080, 1680x1050 and all other often used resolutions.
Dell's 3008 will tilt and swivel, and this time around, vertical extension capabilities are improved.

Interesting news.. I'm guessing a S-PVA panel this time. Connectivity seems really good this time, with a variety of inputs and the brand new display port. Also 2 dual link dvi ports and hdmi. Way better than my 2707wfp..

The most important news for me is the video processing chip for built in scalability purposes.

What I'd really like to know when all specs are revealed, is how this monitor will compare next to the great Gateway 30'' with the amazing Realta HQV chip.
Being able to use your consoles @1080p with very good results but also downscale resolutions in your PC with excellent results are the major points for me..

And I only have my 2707wfp for 4 months.. My pocket is bleeding.. :D

What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I want to buy your 2707WFP when you buy the 3008WFP :D

In my opinion, a 30" PC LCD is a very niche product, so Dell shot themselves in the foot on the 3007 line by not including the bells and whistles that all their other 2x07 line came with. Sounds like they're finally fixing that, which means much better sales even with the probable $50-$100 price increase over the previous model.

I'll be curious to see how the scaling perfoms too...

They didn't really have much choice prior to this year as there weren't exactly any video processors available for 30" monitors.

Gateway was first out the door with the HQV processor. Hopefully Dell will be including it also. The results are absolutely amazing. I'll never be able to look at an LCD the same after using the Gateway 30" although it has some quirks I'm not fond of.

Hopefully the Dell will be better quality and lower priced. :p

Regards,
SB

I think I want to buy your 2707WFP when you buy the 3008WFP :D

It will find its glorious way in my bro's room :p

They didn't really have much choice prior to this year as there weren't exactly any video processors available for 30" monitors.

Gateway was first out the door with the HQV processor. Hopefully Dell will be including it also. The results are absolutely amazing. I'll never be able to look at an LCD the same after using the Gateway 30" although it has some quirks I'm not fond of.

Hopefully the Dell will be better quality and lower priced. :p

Regards,
SB

Let's hope Dell will eventually include the HQV chip in this monitor, but I highly doubt it..
I can't order the Gateway model here in Europe, and even if I could I'd have to pay a small fortune for it.. What a shame..
What quirks are you talking about, if you don't mind me asking?

Sorry for the late reply, holiday season has been a busy one for me and I'm on vacation in Vegas right now. :)

One of the minor flaws (quirks) of the monitor for me is the relatively uneven backlight bleed. It's only noticeable when displaying a solid color to me. For example an all black or all white screen.

I don't use the monitor for image editing so it isn't something that I notice in day to day use. IE - it's minor for me since I never notice it, but someone working on image editing might be more sensitive to it.

Likewise it's not one of the 92% color gamut screens, but again this doesn't affect me as I only use it for general computing, gaming, movie viewing and TV viewing. Professional image editors will probably want to stay away.

The final quirk is much more irritating. But I think it has more to do with my video card than the monitor itself. If the monitor is plugged in (via DVI) then Vista won't boot. It's possible a clean install might take care of this issue, however, as I rarely (maybe once a month or once ever two months) reboot my Vista machine, it's not really much of a bother. I just have to boot up and then hook up the monitor once it gets to the sign in screen and everything is peachy.

Early production models also has an erratic issue with a screw sometimes pressing against the LCD from the rear. I didn't experience it but a few people on forums noticed it. This was months ago, and I'm assuming whatever caused it has been resolved since then. At least one would hope.

Still, scaling quality and excellant black levels in normal use make this a very nice monitor. Response time as with all 30" screens still leaves a bit to be desired, but I've gotten used to it.

Being able to run a highly taxing game at 1680x1050 and have it look virtually identical to the same game running at 2560x1600 is priceless for me. It means I feel much less pressure to upgrade video cards as each new gen/refresh hits the market.

Likewise, being able to run standard def, 720p and 1080p sources flawlessly is a godsend.

All that said, I would have preferred a Dell or Samsung using the HQV processor. Until it's more common, you'll end up paying a premium for any screen using the HQV processor I'd imagine...

Regards,
SB

Hey np m8 thnx for the feedback..
Well from what you pointed out as flaws, only the problem with the Vista boot concerns me..
Did you contact Gateway for this issue?

Anyway I'd really like to see for myself its scaling capabilities, though I don't doubt for a sec that the chip is doing the job fine.

It is a great monitor no doubt about that.

All we have to do is wait for Dell and other hardware manufacturers to come with a similar solution. Dell's new package seems promising, but if it uses a semi-decent scaling chip then I'm not really interested in such a solution.

ExtremeTech reviews Dell 3008WFP-HC

Pros

Wide color gamut
Good for HD signal source
Variety of inputs

Cons

Pricey
Smearing in some fast action games
Not good for SD signal source
Support only 3 built in resolutions(1280x800 1920x1200 and 2560x1600)

Final words from Extremetech / Rating = 6

If you're looking for a large desktop display well suited for a variety of source material, including standard definition video, then the Gateway XHD3000 may be a better bet. However, the Dell UltraSharp 3008WFP-HD should excel in professional graphics applications and most PC source materials. It's not a bad high def display, either. On the other hand, the Dell's $1,999 price tag may give most users some pause. At nearly $2,000, it's more expensive than many PCs. If you're a photographer, or have other uses for the wide color gamut, then the price may be well worth it. If you're mostly looking for high resolution gaming, or a consumer-oriented multifunction display, there are better choices.
Still, we loved having the 3008WFP-HC on our desktop. We used it extensively during a combined video and photography project, and it does excel for that type of application. The built in flash memory reader proved invaluable as we moved photos from different cameras to our PC. And having all that screen real estate helps you be more productive. Just be sure to calibrate the display before using it.

Some mixed emotions after reading this..I can say that I'm a little bit dissapointed by the use of only 3 built in resolutions, though this may be fixed by a firmware update.
The smearing they noticed with fast paced games also concerns me a bit. Then again some reviews said that my 2707wfp isn't the best for the same purpose but I found it very good.
The good thing is that they were pleased by the 1080p source that they tested, so that's good news for consoles and other HD devices. I don't care much for plugging SD devices in it, so it won't be an issue for me. Another bad thing is the price of this thing. 2 K? I mean CMON Dell.. WTF were you thinking? It will be a while till the price becomes more affordable and there's always the use of coupons that can help with its purchase.
Also I don't know if it's a good or bad thing but they mention it's not using the Realta HQV video processor. (probably a bad thing since it seems that the Gateway model excels in many things)

Dunno. I think that I'm leaning towards the Gateway model. It seems that excels in some stuff compared to this model and has probably a better video processor. And most importantly comes at a better price (at least for now).

Back