Dell 3.06 8300 w/ ATI 9800 bundle

Windfire

Regular
I'm considering getting the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop with 3.06GHz, 512MB DDR, the ATI 9800 (non-pro it seems), 4x DVD RW. After coupons and rebate it will be like $1300 delivered.

The strange thing is that it lists it only has a 250 watt power supply--in fact all of there desktops are 250 watt (with no options). How does this jive with the recomended minimum 300 watt power supplies for modern video cards?

The 9800 is listed as running at 325MHz. I know this isn't a Pro model, but I imagine it would be pretty nice.

Anyone have experience with this type of PC?

Thanks,
Steve

I dont have first hand experience but from talking to a particular user who wanted to upgrade his Dell machine from a GF4 Ti4600 to a Radeon 9700 Pro I can tell you the following:
Many Dell users are concerned by the lack of PowerSupply Wattage however most people that have upgraded has had no problems.
The fact that Dell ships with a 250W PowerSupply is not of concern as the total Wattage is meaningless. There are other numbers that you need to concern yourself with in this instance.

A cheap 400W PS nearly killed a previous system I owned with a Radeon 8500 and AXP1700+

I would not be concerned one bit if Dell is shipping only with 250W PS's with such powerful gfx cards as Dell will have put their systems through very thorough testing before releasing such a spec'd PC.

Tahir, yeah, that is what I kind of figured too. I doubt they would bundle a setup that isn't 100% reliable. It just seems odd.

I'm really tempted. The system price is $1729 - 10% -$300 mail in rebate. Free shipping.

I also like the fact that the motherboard is based on the new 875P chipset too. AGP 8x, and the works.

It's amazing what you can get these days. I can remember spending $3300 on a Zeos P90 w/ no monitor! :)

Since i have heard of zero problems with Dell machines and the Radeon 9700 Pro I think you are good to go. Now if I lived in the US and were looking for a new PC there is no way I could build a custom PC with that kind of spec [for that price].

You will be limited with an OEM machine in some ways but for many users the disadvantages seriously outweigh the advantages.

Now if only we could get deals like that in the UK then I would be a happy man!

Edit: typo

I've built custom PCs for 15 years. Of the 8-10 boxes I've purchased, only 2 have been from vendors (Zeos, Gateway).

When I add up all the components I want, the price is $400-500 more than what I get from Dell, ignoring the software too! Dell must get some great deals.

I'm teatering on the edge of ordering it. :)

P.S.: My last 4 video cards have been Nvidia, and I haven't owned an ATI since way back and the ATI Wonder days (can you say 2MB VRAM?). :)

Later

It sounds to be and excellent buy; especially if the MB allows hyperthreading. Do not worry about the PSU; Dell tests the machines and the Power supply to the rails thoroughly. The socket for the power leads will most likely be proprietary and you will not be able to upgrade to a more powerful PSU anyway.
To keep costs down Dell will use just what is needed and enough headroom for good power on startup. Looks to be a very price.

One thing with D(h)ells... They are absolutely 100% UN-UPGRADEABLE once you need to switch out the mobo.

Front panel connector, power plug and chassis standoffs are all non-standard.

And you Big Mell dude, can you take your ads and fuck off to somewhere else please?

*G*

Grall does make a point. When you do change MB's just toss your box and PSU. IF you want to reuse your Hard drive do a /MBR and then a Low Level format. Dell probably linked in some way the settings on the DVD and CDRW's but with a little conductive grease and new cables you can probably put them in a new box.

For your 9800 just run Dell drivers; They come out around the same time as the ATI ones.

You can probably reuse some hardware but will have to a little work to use it. Just are not going to be able to switch stuff from one box to the next without a little extra work.

With all that; I still think that is a killer deal for all you get.

It does support Hyperthreading. That is one of the key features.

To be honest, I think I'll pass for now. I find myself in that strange position where it seems like a deal I can't refuse, but I then ask myself what is about my current P4 2GHz, 512MB R800 and TI4400 I don't like? :) What doesn't it run nicely? I just don't need a hotter machine at this point.

I'm keeping the exact config/price so I can see how things change over the next few months.

FYI, I'm not concerned with upgrading the MB/case--this box should easily last 2 years and by the time I want a new PC, I often retire the old box (give it or sell it).

Later,
Steve

Grall said:
One thing with D(h)ells... They are absolutely 100% UN-UPGRADEABLE once you need to switch out the mobo.

Front panel connector, power plug and chassis standoffs are all non-standard.

And you Big Mell dude, can you take your ads and fuck off to somewhere else please?

*G*

The power plug is ATX with the standard 12V connector and the motherboards are ATX (microATX will fit in the 2350/4550/8250/8300 cases fine). In case you haven't kept up, Dell hasn't used non-standard ATX PSUs or motherboards in new systems for over 2 years, despite what you might read at expert sites like overclockers.com and theinquirer.net. :rolleyes:

The front panel connector is keyed for the motherboard, but it's not impossible to put it on a new motherboard. Someone capable of replacing a motherboard should be able to pop out the power on and HDD activity pins from the connector and place them in the propper places on the new motherboard. Same with the front panel USB ports, but the front audio jacks may be a problem since most sound cards don't have internal output headers.

pxc, I also understand it as you stated. Many/most of the components are industry standard. In any case, as I stated I doubt I would really want to re-use the case for a new motherboard.

Part details:

* 875P chipset (can't get better than that)

* P4 3.06GHz with HT support

* 512MB RAM is fine--I doubt I'll need more. It is 333, not 400, but I won't care. 2GB RAM max.

* 4x DVD RW +R/+RW (does CDR/CDRW too) drive (awesome for doing backups of key folders (My Documents, Downloads, etc.).

* ATI 9800 w/ 128MB

* 30GB HD (their upgrade prices are bad). I'll add a second WD 1200JB drive (I like having 2 drives anyway--for backing up between drives).

* Live! 5.1 sound

* 8 USB 2.0 ports (6 back, 2 front).

Limitations I recognize:

* Doesn't have FireWire ports that I can see

* Only has 2x 5.25", 2 3.5" and 2 internal drive bays. That is pretty limiting, but once again, should work fine.

* Only has 4 PCI slots (that used to be a bigger concern, but with Network integrated, the only PCI card would be the Live card).

* 250 watt power supply. I would prefer 300 or 350, but my current Gateway 500x has a 250 and it works fine (2 hard drives, TI4400, etc.)

pxc said:
The power plug is ATX with the standard 12V connector and the motherboards are ATX (microATX will fit in the 2350/4550/8250/8300 cases fine). In case you haven't kept up, Dell hasn't used non-standard ATX PSUs or motherboards in new systems for over 2 years, despite what you might read at expert sites like overclockers.com and theinquirer.net. :rolleyes:

The front panel connector is keyed for the motherboard, but it's not impossible to put it on a new motherboard. Someone capable of replacing a motherboard should be able to pop out the power on and HDD activity pins from the connector and place them in the propper places on the new motherboard. Same with the front panel USB ports, but the front audio jacks may be a problem since most sound cards don't have internal output headers.

I did not realize Dell had altered their practices; The last one I helped a friend with was just a couple of months ago but the box was over 2 years old. Getting everything to work and configured properly with the old Dell hardware to a new box was often frustatrating but an entertaining learning experience.

Well, I talked myself into ordering it! It should ship around May 1.

$1,393 after rebate! Can't dislike that.

I'll write it off, as I plan to use to develope some software on-the-side for the next couple months.

There is no way I could touch that price if I even watned the core components (XP Pro, ATI 9800, DVD 4x RW, P4 3.06GHz, etc.).

I sure hope ATI doesn't let me down! Nvidia drivers have been pretty reliable, I just hope ATI's will be too. I'm looking forward to good FSAA!

Later,
Steve

As an FYI to everyone... The Dell 8300 system prices have dropped by an amazing $300!

You can now order the system I described above for $1,419 shipped with a $300 mail-in rebate dropping the price to $1,119!

Amazing.

Steve

kordog said:
512MB RAM is fine--I doubt I'll need more. It is 333, not 400, but I won't care. 2GB RAM max.

I can't find it atm. However, I thought I heard something about the new Intel p4's not running @ a 800mhz fsb unless you have ddr3200 "400mhz" ram.

might be able to find it in this article, i didnt have much time to look so here ya go.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20030414/index.html

This is true. DDR3200 is 400MHz while DDR2700 is 333MHz. In order to use the DDR3200 you need the new 800MHz FSB 3GHz cpu.

I have the 3.06GHz 533MHz FSB CPU so it uses the 333MHz RAM.

I love the new box and the ATI 9800 rocks! It's almost unbelievable. I'm running Unreal Tournament 2003 at 1280x1024x32bit with 8x AF and 4X FSAA and it is silky smooth.

I´m am now waiting for my Dell dimension4600 with the Ati radeon 9800 Card !!

But can u tell me more about it?

the 9800TX how fast Core and memoryspeed does it have??

If it´s true that it have a Core of 325 and a memoryspeed at 620 so it´s good as the 9700pro right??

Back