Dell 2001FP LCD $600

Pete said:
John, whichever your wife gets, let us know how she likes it.

LOL I didn't buy it. She actually had no problem with me buying the LCD since tax return time is around the corner, but I didn't pull the trigger.

DAMN YOU, TAX!

It's a nice monitor. I'm going to steal my father's the next time I go home. :)

The Baron said:
DAMN YOU, TAX!

It's a nice monitor. I'm going to steal my father's the next time I go home. :)

I know. I hate when online vendors calculate sales tax. Let me claim it on my own at year's end, damnit! :devilish:

Didn't GW recently sign a bill that states charging tax on net purchases is now illegal? Or did I just dream that up?

ANova said:
Didn't GW recently sign a bill that states charging tax on net purchases is now illegal? Or did I just dream that up?
Probably not when the store has a physical location in-state, which I'm guessing is the case with John.

That's also why I couldn't understand Gateway's desire to open their own stores. Half the beauty of a Gateway/Dell/Micron was that you saved money on tax, which was no small savings when PCs were regularly $1k and up.

I'd like to hear what you think of its black levels and blurring, John. Heck, I'm not sure I've read how it handles S-Vid signals or PIP, either. Plug a DVD player in there, if you get a chance. :)

I bought the 2001FP. It'll receive hours of EQ2 testing. :p

As for the sales tax, I'm in OH and I don't think Dell has any warehouses in this state, though I'm not 100% positive on that.

It's shipping from TN.

Learned about a Dell coupon today that's good for $70 off items over $525. The order's already shipped so it's obviously too late to cancel it, so I tried calling Dell and seeing if I could talk them into applying that to my order. After playing roulette with a handful of non-English speaking, less-than-helpful CSRs, I was dumped back out to the main phone menu and gave up.

I've ordered the 2005FPW on Wednesday. Looking forward to it (although the step up from an 18" Compaq TFT isn't that big). I hope it has better composite / S-Video input than the Compaq...

[maven said:
]I've ordered the 2005FPW on Wednesday. Looking forward to it (although the step up from an 18" Compaq TFT isn't that big). I hope it has better composite / S-Video input than the Compaq...

Let me know what do you think about it, please. Although I'll buy HP's L2335 for companion to my HP 24" CRT :devilish: , I'm looking forward to upgrade our office monitors to some wide panels: it helps the producers' efficiency here greatly.

The LCD arrived today. So far no issues, looks great and no ghosting with the games I've tested so far (Pirates!, Painkiller, EQ2).

I got my Dell 2005FPW today. This is not a huge step up from my old 18" Compaq TFT8030 display in height, but it is much wider (having a resolution of 1680x1050). It has a normal VGA input, DVI (which I am using) as well as composite (used too) and S-Video, and last but not least a 4-port USB 2.0 hub.
By default, the display is very bright; I had to halve the brightness to not be blinded by my desktop. The image looks very good (no dead pixels) and is nearly viewpoint-independent (except for blacks which become some sort of dark red-ish brown at extreme (i.e. nigh-on sideways) angles). The response time is also very good (supposedly 16ms) and I can see no ghosting whatsoever.
The composite input is a lot sharper than what the Compaq display offered, but consequently is also a lot noisier, particularly in busy areas. The deinterlacing of the Compaq also seemed a bit better (but that may be due to its excessive softness as well). In a completely darkened room and with a black screen, you can see a bit of backlight bleeding on the Dell (i.e. the black is not completely uniform). This also happened with the Compaq (which had a smaller area to light) and neither is it apparent in normal use (i.e. screen not entirely black) or under brighter lighting conditions. This is on a revision A01, made in the UK in January 2005. There is quite a busy thread on the HardOCP forum where they are being returned left and right, but maybe their problems are more excessive.
All in all a very good purchase, in particular when Dell has one of their rebates on displays (which is the only reason I became interested in it).

Yarrrr! Sounds good, you two.

Now, walk the plank afore the bill sets sail.

Back