Dedicated "Games" partition

Ken2012

Newcomer
I've created a dedicated partition on my HDD in WinXP strictly for my game collection. Around 50GB worth of game installs need to be shifted from C:\ to G:\.

The first question is: How can I stop the "Are you sure you want to move the the read-only file(s) x" messages from popping up? I'm assuming there might be a registry entry I'm to modify/add, but I wouldn't know how to go about it.

Also, some programs don't seem to like being moved from one location to the next. For example Quake 2 & 3 refuse to execute once I've relocated their folders (after being warned). How can I resolve this, without uninstallng/reinstalling the app into a new folder?

Thankyou in advance.

Also, some programs don't seem to like being moved from one location to the next. For example Quake 2 & 3 refuse to execute once I've relocated their folders (after being warned). How can I resolve this, without uninstallng/reinstalling the app into a new folder?

Thankyou in advance.
The shortcut? or the .EXE in the root? Heck i havnt installed anyquakes for a few years, they are allways ready. Move them around with my game/data HDD. You will just have to repoint the shortcut to the .exe, or drag a new shortcut to your desktop/quicklaunch whererever.

when you have a good install,- COPY- the game over to the new partion. Uninstall C: drive version... play. You do have a non cd key Q3. its from 1.25 and up i think, 1.32 or .33 is the latest? the first few setpoints are cd key... As for Q2 i dont play original i play qmax and evo. WAY better everything.But they use the orignal q2 stuff. And all my Quakes are legit installs from way back,they are on there 7th XP install, all coming from win98 fat32. I have had much success on older games just going along for the ride on the data/game HDD/partion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back