Decent motherboard

DJ12

Veteran
I am thinking of purchasing a new motherboard to rehouse some parts that I already have in another box and possibly replace them in the future with a better CPU and memory.

Currently I have an Athlon 64 3500+ (939 socket I think) and PC3200 DDR ram.

Last time I bought a motherboard the "best" out there was the abit KR7a-133 (which I bought)

What should I get these days?

I am thinking of purchasing a new motherboard to rehouse some parts that I already have in another box and possibly replace them in the future with a better CPU and memory.

Last time I bought a motherboard the "best" out there was the abit KR7a-133 (which I bought)

What should I get these days?

go to newegg.com, specify 939 (assuming that's what you've got), search by rating and choose the least expensive one with a great rating?

Not good. Socket 939 is dying, Socket AM2 is where current developments take place but it requires DDR2 memory. IOW there's no mobo upgrade for you that wouldn't also require an all-new CPU and new RAM.

The socket spec will be upgraded again this year, but with the promise that current AM2 CPUs and the matching memory will continue to work on the new sockets, and likewise AM2+ CPUs will also work on current AM2 mobos (with slightly limited bus performance).

In summary it's a bit of a crazy time to buy a new motherboard for an AMD processor. If you already had a nice socket AM2 mobo, I'd recommend taking advantage of the recent price moves and getting a fast dual-core CPU (X2 5000+ or higher) for cheap.

In your current situation you should either wait until fall and see how the new AMD sockets and CPU models shape up, or you could contemplate jumping ship and see how things look on Intel's side.

Nonsense. 939 is technically dead, but there's no good reason not to buy a $40 mobo and salvage your parts. It makes a great fileserver or f@h machine for you, or for a loved one, or for some neighborhood kids... also fun for having LAN parties without lugging all those PCs around... ;)

Nonsense. 939 is technically dead, but there's no good reason not to buy a $40 mobo and salvage your parts.
True but he wrote "possibly replace them in the future with a better CPU and memory". There is no real upgrade path from a S939 A64 3500+ CPU. The best thing you can get for the S939 is the dual core X2 4400+ which runs at the same clockrate as the 3500+.

or a X2 4800+, or a FX. but who cares? upgradability is nice but building a nice cheap fast PC with the parts you have is nice too. make a gaming PC with it.

Well, thanks to RolfN I have saved my self a shed load of money ;)

I had no idea about AM2 (and definitely not AM2+ either) I think I will wait until they are out and see what I can afford then.

I hadn't noticed much the part about you wanting to replace the parts later.
well AM2 is pretty much ideal, it will accept dual and quad K8L processors (coming this year, should match or surpass C2D) and future AM3 processors, even. AM2+ can be viewed as pretty minor (except for integrated graphics which will benefit from doubled HTT bandwith).
The RAM can also be quite a bit upgraded (with two gig sticks now..)

L233, good point. i didn't notice that he was serious about that. Myself, I'd get a 939 and be done with it, but if you want to go AM2 (it's out, been out for a long time, it's kinda getting old now), you could research a socket adapter -- I've never used one but a friend of mine mentioned them as an alternative the other day. If they work, should be a cheap fix, but you should check into compatibility with whatever mobo you buy. of course, if you go AM2, a socket adapter will prob cost almost as much as a new chip. :p

[Edit: I did the research and it appears that it was just a stopgap measure by AsRock that has since been dicontinued. So... I guess you're stuck with a full AM2 upgrade. There are some DDR+DDR2 motherboards so you could check one of those out to avoid having to shell out the cash for DDR2 RAM right now.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back