D9P/G94: 9600 GT on 19th of February

I bought mine from there today. Shame my Dell wont take a C2D, the P4HT 3.0 proc is holding it back badly. It has a 915 based chipset. Pd are even out of the question for this thing.

I had the same system as you. I finally broke down and just bought a P35 board and E8400 for some o/c'ing goodness, but I need to get some higher-clocked RAM to accomodate my o/c, as well as a new video card (waiting until NV launches new cards next month). $189 for an E8400 was just too good a deal to pass up.

And yet Best Buy continues to sell BFG 9600 GT OCs..........

G92 was also rumored to support this, but I have the feeling, that it will only acitvated for 9800s...
I wonder if that means that NVidia is supporting DXGI_FORMAT_BC4 and DXGI_FORMAT_BC5 ("3Dc single and dual channel") natively? Anyone know if G80 supports those natively (without conversion to another texture format)?

Jawed

And yet Best Buy continues to sell BFG 9600 GT OCs..........

I know, would you believe someone who had to go to IDF in a pink bunny suit and well known to be biased against Nvidia, every article written sounding like a rant and FUD?

The article confirms mostly the 64SP, 256bit mem bus and the new Dual-Stream Decode tech. Also confirms the launch date on the 21st as well as the target pricepoints, though the 9600GT 512MB should really be $169 and the 256MB $149.

I wonder if that means that NVidia is supporting DXGI_FORMAT_BC4 and DXGI_FORMAT_BC5 ("3Dc single and dual channel") natively? Anyone know if G80 supports those natively (without conversion to another texture format)?
I think that's framebuffer compression, not texture compression.
I also think that G92 is the same in this regard -- otherwise why are they comparing G94 to G80 and not G92 -)

Is Fudo retarded?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5816&Itemid=1

DP on the 9600GT
dp.jpg

Sneak a pix

We wanted to share with you what might be one of the first DisplayPort enabled 9600GT based product.

The port looks very much like HDMI and you can compare them as they sit next to each other. It is interesting that this product has two DVI ports, one HDMI, SPDIF and DisplayPort and it certainly looks attractive.

Why are there two PCB's? both with SLI connectors if this a regular 9600GT product?

Why are there two PCB's? both with SLI connectors if this a regular 9600GT product?

That's the bracket for 9800GX2 not 9600GT.

Doesn't look that way to me, certinaly not from these images. Due to the apparent sandwich nature of the GX2 boards the DVI's are reversed on the GX2 because each on is mounted on the PCB's (one on the top one on the bottom). The image in Fudo's article is clearly different as it has both the DVI's mounted in the same direction - the "second PCB" in this case is likely just a small riser / daughter PCB for mounting that top DVI output.

Doesn't look that way to me, certinaly not from these images. Due to the apparent sandwich nature of the GX2 boards the DVI's are reversed on the GX2 because each on is mounted on the PCB's (one on the top one on the bottom). The image in Fudo's article is clearly different as it has both the DVI's mounted in the same direction - the "second PCB" in this case is likely just a small riser / daughter PCB for mounting that top DVI output.
Yeah, i think you're right.
Well, then that's some G94-based product with hellavalot of output interfaces =)

So why the apparant SLI connectors on both PCB's? looks like the same DVI configuration as on the 9800GX2
http://www.tcmagazine.com/comments.php?id=18247&catid=2

The 9600 GT doesn't exist on any of the AIB partner sites nor NV's own, so not being listed on Best Buy's site is no surprise.

I was in Best Buy yesterday, they had three 9600 GTs from BFG (OC 512 edition) on the shelf. Googling "best buy 9600 gt" turns up plenty of threads on the subject across the net.

Even if they were on sale I'd be afraid of getting a bugged card that snuck out at this point, right?

Looks like a nice card though. 8800GT's can be had for $220 and 3870 for $189 though so some price tweaking might be in order. $149 sounds good :smile:

Even if they were on sale I'd be afraid of getting a bugged card that snuck out at this point, right?

Looks like a nice card though. 8800GT's can be had for $220 and 3870 for $189 though so some price tweaking might be in order. $149 sounds good :smile:

What I'm saying is how do we even know they're bugged? They're on sale, no users have reported any problems thus far, there's been no official statement from NV or any of their AIB partners. As far as I'm concerned, this is just FUD to trick the gullible into buying 3850s instead. Not that there's anything wrong with a 3850 mind you, just the 9600 GT seems to outperform it more often than not.

The card i commented earlier is confirmed as a "special" 9600 GT:

Two DVI-I dual-link, one HDMI, one DisplayPort and a TOS-link digital audio port.

P.S.: the core comes OC'ed to 700MHz, while the 512MB GDDR3 runs at 2000MHz.

edit
Another shot of the same card:

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same system as you. I finally broke down and just bought a P35 board and E8400 for some o/c'ing goodness, but I need to get some higher-clocked RAM to accomodate my o/c, as well as a new video card (waiting until NV launches new cards next month). $189 for an E8400 was just too good a deal to pass up.

The Dell box is one of 2 spare machine I have in my home. My primary rig is a C2Q6600 OC'd to 3.0Ghz, 2GB ram, 250/80GB drives running XPPro/VistaU with 2x BFG 8800GTOC 640MB cards.

The card i commented earlier is confirmed as a "special" 9600 GT:

Two DVI-I dual-link, one HDMI, one DisplayPort and a TOS-link digital audio port.

P.S.: the core comes OC'ed to 700MHz, while the 512MB GDDR3 runs at 2000MHz.

edit
Another shot of the same card:

attachment.php

Pointless unless they have upped the stock voltage. Bet they have not.

Pointless unless they have upped the stock voltage. Bet they have not.

I'm not sure i follow your line of thought. You're talking about the cooler from Zalman, right ?
I think it's overkill for G94 and for the moderate OC level this card has too, but at least it can be mounted on another card afterwards.

Back