current ads

Althornin

Senior Lurker
Veteran
The current crop of ads (with the huge expanding frame of death) are super irritating. Is there any possible way we can go back to a more standard ad?

Thanks,
Althornin

I second that, it's VERY annoying.

Anyway I changed my hosts file to remove ads.
Should anyone be interested here's a link to a hosts file getting ride of many ads...

[Removed the link since ads are the only way Beyond3D can make money (see Dave post below)]

The ads seem to be loading much better now, however in Opera the ads served by netshelter.adtrix.com look like this(there is an extra ad space below the ad). This isn't a major problem, just a minor annoyance due to the extra space it takes up.

ads.JPG

One really annoying thing I've noticed about the ads is that they HOG UP cpu time!!! Just one open window from the B3D forum and my CPU is at 100% usage!!! :devilish:

I didn't mind the drop down ads. When I FIRST saw them my first thought was that it PROBABLY was something that got a GOOD buck to annoyance ratio. I find the usual FLASHING gif banners much more annoying.

But one THING that almost made me panic (I haven't CALMED down quite yet), is in-text POPUP ads. Is this a part of the site, or have I got SOME nasty shit in my PC that Spybot COULDN'T catch? I haven't seen it anywhere else than on Beyond3D so I ASSUME it's from you.

Just in case I'm the only one SEEING it, I'll describe it better.
In the TEXT (I think it's on all pages EXCEPT the forum) there are various words SELECTED as "ad-hooks" they are green with a DOUBLE underline. If the mouse POINTER passes over them, an add will popup.

I picked a RANDOM review and on that page all INSTANCES of "GeForceFX", "Albatron", "partner", "last", "MARKET", "product", has got their own popup.

Should I SEARCH for more ad/virus removal tools?

If it's from you, it SURE need to pay some major bucks to MAKE up for the annoyance. I know we're an UNGRATEFUL bunch who just complain and never pay ANYTHING. I would never dream of PUTTING an ad-blocker on Beyond3D, but this kind is the most ANNOYING you've had.

It's about as distracting as someone SCREAMING out random words in their sentences. :)

Basic,

The in-text ads appear on a number of sites actually. I personally first saw it at Anandtech and I too suspected scumware in my system. Unfortunately it's just ad-whoring; the links won't go away from scanning one's system with a scumware eradicator. :)

Back