Cube Maps and Next Gen Consoles

zed, I find your arguments a bit strange.

You insist that cube mapping is a 'crap' form of representing a reflection, yet at the same time you claim if we were to use a significantly worse approximate (ronald...) then most people still wouldn't notice... Isn't this a bit silly? Cubemaps serve their purpose because they are fast, and fool the eye of the casual observer. They also can be quite easily optimised without having much of an effect on image quality, Eg, add fog + limited draw distance, and they still look fine for the most part.

It's only when developers make a hash of implementation that I get annoyed. It's inexcusable really. Test-drive unlimited is a prime example. I simply can't drive some cars as the backwards reflections are so distracting. Even the rear view mirrors (which are sphere maps) are done badly - when you look down, the reflection also 'looks down'. Urgh!

It was so distracting I complained on the atari forum but clearly it wasn't fixed...

tdu_ref.jpg

Best example of Cubemap usage I can think of is PGR3. The combination of (I assume) FP10, and their correct usage looks awesome in comparison. They only thing they really needed to have done was mask the reflection of the windshield on the internal view (ie, have a static reflection mask of the insides of the car).

zed, I find your arguments a bit strange.

You insist that cube mapping is a 'crap' form of representing a reflection, yet at the same time you claim if we were to use a significantly worse approximate (ronald...) then most people still wouldn't notice... Isn't this a bit silly? Cubemaps serve their purpose because they are fast, and fool the eye of the casual observer.
as u say 'fool the eye of the casual observer' which i admit they do, ie the vast majority of ppl dont notice these things.
btw a new demo of my game is out see www.zedzeek.com no ronald macdonald reflections this time but i promise he'll be making an appearance in the next demo, so keep your eyes peeled :oops:

btw if youve interested in cubemaps theres an option in the game menu to disable the cubemap reflection or update all 6 sides each frame or only update one side per frame

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh so your zedzeek from the gamedev.net forums. It all falls into place!

mwahaha you will never see it comming

Ohh and I was probably a bit harsh earlier. Ignore that, I have a bad habit of posting at 2+ am, then either a) regretting it, or b) forgetting it. :yes:

Back