Crysis 2 PC edition OT

crysis22011062821205517.jpg

desktop_2011_06_29_15_qnkt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, didn't know about this profile thing... can somebody confirm it?

BTW no DX10 AFAIK. There's only CryRenderD3D11.dll and CryRenderD3D9.dll in the game's folder.

That's at least the impression I got by reading this

http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/02/15/amd-catalyst™-11-2-driver-–-what’s-new/
The default selection “AMD Optimized” setting is intended to set the best level of Tessellation on a per application basis. The “AMD Optimized” setting is designed to help users get the maximum visual benefit of Tessellation, while minimizing the performance impact associated with enabling the Tessellation feature. Currently no applications have been profiled.
A shame about lack of DX10/10.1

Shouldn't a DX10 level card be happy enough running CryRenderD3D11.dll because of the backwards compatibility of DX11?

Oh, didn't know about this profile thing... can somebody confirm it?

BTW no DX10 AFAIK. There's only CryRenderD3D11.dll and CryRenderD3D9.dll in the game's folder.

You don't need a "D3D11.DLL" to support DX10 generation.
In the perfect world we would see a DX9.dll for Win XP and all graphics cards, that support SM 3, and a DX11.dll for Vista/Win7 and all graphics cards.

Of course tessellation+DM and tessellated water are DX11 only features, but for me it's not clear, why eg POM is DX11 only. RLR, Contact Shadows and improved tone mapping are SM 3. New effects/visual improvements could be done with SM 4/4.1. I cannot see, that Crytek uses Compute Shaders.

Shouldn't a DX10 level card be happy enough running CryRenderD3D11.dll because of the backwards compatibility of DX11?

Actually Crytek could sell the same horse twice, if they make additional "DX11" effects available for players with a DX10 card.
They did the same with Far Cry and two extra paths for SM 2X (R420 and Geforce FX) and SM 3 video cards: almost the same horse, but sold twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
DX11 under Win7 and Vista provides a backwards compatibility all the way down to the DX9 hardware feature set. Essentially, DX11 is DX11+DX10/10.1+DX9 managed under one roof, so to speak. That gives the developers an easy path to scale down and up their engines.
It's up to Crytek to utilize this ability, but probably the rushed development cycle forced them to save some time and pennies, and skip the DX10/10.1 level altogether. As a result all the DX10/10.1 hardware is being "demoted" to DX9 feature set. That way, Crytek had to do a little bit less work for CE3 - DX11 (DX11 + DX9) for Win7 and Vista, and DX9 for WinXP.

So what happens when you DX10/10.1 guys try to run the DX11 C2? I have run a few DX11 executables on DX10/10.1 hardware myself but it did just run with DX9 effects choices as far as I could tell.

They did the same with Far Cry and two extra paths for SM 2X (R420 and Geforce FX) and SM 3 video cards: almost the same horse, but sold twice.
Far Cry has a ton of paths indeed. They even used PS1.4. Still I can say that a 5900U runs this game pretty poorly regardless of them having optimized for it.

So what happens when you DX10/10.1 guys try to run the DX11 C2? I have run a few DX11 executables on DX10/10.1 hardware myself but it did just run with DX9 effects choices as far as I could tell.

Easy, They get more performance because of DX10/10.1 Compute shader support.

Far Cry has a ton of paths indeed. They even used PS1.4. Still I can say that a 5900U runs this game pretty poorly regardless of them having optimized for it.

I meant the story with the patch 1.2/1.3.

I'm now running DX11 Ultra hires textures and it's locked at 60 fps basically (vsync). Not that noticeably better...some flat textures are much improved...maybe I have to turn up the tessellation somewhere?

I never played C2 before the DX11 patch - I got a bit put off by all the consoleitis I was seeing everywhere - so I don't really know how to compare the visuals; I thought they looked pretty stonking good even originally, but I basically only played until you see Prophet
blow his head off
, so that's no real indication.

I notice tesselation here and there, but it's nothing that really stands out unless I stop playing and put my nose up close to walls and stuff. There's quite a few brick textures and whatnot here and there that don't have any displacement mapping/tesselation (or even good ol' parallax bumpmapping) at all. THAT I do tend to notice however, so maybe the tesselation is more the case of you don't SEE it, but you see when it ISN'T there?

Kind of why they put all that detail into all the clothes, sets and props for the Lord of the Ring movies, stuff that's really too small to see, but it helps the overall cohesionness of the visuals...

How does C2 fare if you turn on MLAA? I can't make heads nor tails out of AMDs profile manager in order to turn it on just for C2, the damn thing sucks so ultra hard, so I guess I just have to enable MLAA globally to check out myself. :p

Did the graphics upgrade yesterday.

Everything on DX11+ultra + tesselation+textures..had to reduce resolution to 720p to get it smooth (I did not test higher intermediate resolutions). Game looks really great (although, I am not sure how it compares to extreme...to lazy to switch forth and back)!

But IMO textures did not improve noticable..although I downloaded 1.7Gig pack! Ground textures for instance are still super pixelated...hm, slightly dissapointing for the PC graphics flagship title!

Hmm, to me the DX11 upgrade was a big letdown. The tesselation doesn't use custom textures so it stretches and deforms the texture making it look almost worse than without tesellation. Other than that it's almost impossible to tell how it looks better than the "extreme" setting while at the same time generating worse FPS. I have nothing against a game bringing hardware to it's knees...but the graphics quality should at least be a big step up to justify it :cry:

Tessellation shouldn't do anything like that on its own; it's overly relying on displacements instead of building detailed models that tends to mess up the texture UVs. Tessellation is required because displacement needs lots of vertices to work with.

Back