Could/Should PS4 Pro get a new, faster hardware revision? *spawn

I agree, Sony had little to no reason to even release a midgen console, while MS felt that they had to release something significantly better.

I would argue that only Sony had a reason. They designed the Pro for PSVR. They knew the original PS4 was under-powered, hence the release date to coincide with PSVR. MS made a "me too" console. The design is basically a PS4 and they were a year late to "mid-gen". Of course they had a chip on their shoulder over power too.

That's not how the console industry works. Console R&D is in train for many years. Sony announced a 1.8Tf console in February 2013, did they impact Microsoft announcing their 1.2Tf console in May? :nope:

Both consoles were supposed to launch at about the same time... the situation with the X/PS5 is completely different.

Also, MS had a different vision than Sony.

I would argue that only Sony had a reason. They designed the Pro for PSVR. They knew the original PS4 was under-powered, hence the release date to coincide with PSVR.

I don’t think this is true. I don’t see any stories about PSVR games that require or even perform significantly better on the Pro.

"Skyrim VR is much less blurry on Pro. Hey I need the buy a Pro."

This is a story I hear from many on the Internet that tried both versions.

In 99% of all cases the differences are super slim, though. So no, I doubt PSVR was the big impetus behind the release of the PS Pro. Heck, the old PSVR can't even pass the HDR signal through.

Almost all of them do.

The question is more, is there a huge upgrade to use Pro or is it just fine on the base PS4 and minor stuff on the Pro.
I seem to remember a poster on here going on and on about Pro was a necessity to use PSVR and that VR experience sucked with PS4.
This was before PSVR launched....

Theoretically the 4Pro version should have twice the graphic fidelity of the PS4 version.

Both consoles were supposed to launch at about the same time... the situation with the X/PS5 is completely different.
And they did.

Also, MS had a different vision than Sony.

Right. And Sony may have a different vision to Microsoft. But neither company can afford to scrap a product several years into design already and by that point it's really difficult to change things drastically. I can't think of an example where this has ever happened, it'd cost less to launch a bad product and have it sell, then push back several years.

Back