Cooling efficiency of official console designs and validity of hacks/after market mods to improve them

No orientation makes the PS5 look good in my opinion.

Its large and doesnt look all that inspiring, all the while its cooling is less effective versus the XSX design.
Its not like you want media devices to stand out between other equipment under/besides the TV.

at least the weird look is functional (for airflow), and they finally uniformized the design language between the console and the controller.

When it comes to AV cabinets, isn't PS5's front/back cooling a better fit than XB's bottom/top? Because the bottom/top will end up near the side of the AV cabinet and have restricted flow. Feel XBSX is designed to stand upright next to the TV and isn't really intended to be laid on its side. That said, checking comparison images XBSX isn't that wide when laid down so there's probably plenty of side clearance for airflow.

When it comes to AV cabinets, isn't PS5's front/back cooling a better fit than XB's bottom/top? Because the bottom/top will end up near the side of the AV cabinet and have restricted flow. Feel XBSX is designed to stand upright next to the TV and isn't really intended to be laid on its side. That said, checking comparison images XBSX isn't that wide when laid down so there's probably plenty of side clearance for airflow.

The height of the Series X is only 11.85 inches while standard AV width is 22" to 24" and depth of 18" to 24". The smaller AV cabinets are 18" wide. Still, tons of clearance.

In general yes but places like IKEA do have a very good range of options for TV units.

It looks good with black panels on..... It's the white that doesn't help the way it looks.
I think it very much depends om your furniture. Our living room is pretty monochromic, so the black and white of PS5 fits well. The Series X, being black on a black shelf in a black A/V cabinet is virtually invisible and really easy to miss unless its on the power indicator is lit.

In general yes but places like IKEA do have a very good range of options for TV units.
One shouldn't have to buy whole new furniture to fit new devices though. ;) A design should aim to fit in with what people presently have on the whole. Seems XBSX does that though, so no worries.

One shouldn't have to buy whole new furniture to fit new devices though. ;) A design should aim to fit in with what people presently have on the whole. Seems XBSX does that though, so no worries.

Designing a console that fits in to what people have is impossible due to sheer variations in furniture and AV stack designs, should Corsair stop making big ass PC cases that don't actually fit on the average size desks people have?

And there was a ton of people of Twitter complaining about XSX not fitting in to their AV rack, even when on it's side.

It wouldn't fit in mine as while the height is adjustable to an extent I would still need to lay it on its side but even then there isn't enough of a clearance on either side to suck in cool air and get rid of the hot air.

PS5 is much better in that regard due to the way air flows through the system so it doesn't require a decent sized gap either side of it like XSX does.

Not sure why anyone with an AV furniture that can't even fit AVRs should be complaining. If they can't fit a Series X then they can't even fit majority of AVRs. My Denon AVR is 6.57" tall, where as Series X is only 5.94 height x 11.85 width x 5.94 depth. The new X1700 AVR is 6 height x 17.1 width x 13.3 depth.

Also, the PS5 is 15.35 inches wide so a space that can fit a PS5 provides more than 3.5 inches of breathing room for a Series X on the sides.

Also, the PS5 is 15.35 inches wide so a space that can fit a PS5 provides more than 3.5 inches of breathing room for a Series X on the sides.

Weird, my PS5 is only 4.1" wide. Yours must have fallen over.

Does the average person who owns a console have an AV rack? I mean, we were just talking about putting them on the floor.

Does the average person who owns a console have an AV rack? I mean, we were just talking about putting them on the floor.
Anecdote : My pc and ps4 are on the floor. Xbox under a desk.

Actually the Xbox is so small, I can place it almost anywhere lol

The Series X, being black on a black shelf in a black A/V cabinet is virtually invisible and really easy to miss unless its on the power indicator is lit.

Not that I have one, but that's how I prefer anything that's in an A/V cabinet. :) Bonus points if any lights can be disabled or at least dimmed so that they are virtually invisible behind a smoked glass panel. If the lights are too bright I have a tendency to turn them sideways. Sometimes this requires me to use an IR blaster if it prevents it from reliably working with a remote.

Yeah, any place in a cabinet that would choke airflow to a XBS-X wouldn't even be able to fit a PS5 in the first place. The only situation where a PS5 would fit and an XBS-X wouldn't would be if the cabinet had really low shelves, but then they probably wouldn't be able to fit the majority of A/V receivers.

Regards,
SB

Back