Strange Error Problem...

ScorpionSoul

Newcomer
Hey, guys.. I've got this strange error that started popping up yesterday, and I'm at a loss for what might be causing it. Here's the specific error:

Generic host process for Win32 Services.

Here's the details it provided:

EventType : BEX P1 : svchost.exe P2 : 5.1.2600.2180 P3 : 41107ed6
P4 : netapi32.dll P5 : 5.1.2600.2180 P6 : 411096ac P7 : 0000a3c0
P8 : c0000409 P9 : 00000000

And here's the files it refers to:

D:\DOCUME~1\Billy\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfc8c.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
D:\DOCUME~1\Billy\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERfc8c.dir00\appcompat.txt

The thing is.. it's not crashing my comp or anything like that, but it kills my internet connection, and it won't allow me to reconnect unless I reboot the computer.

I did a bit of looking around.. one site said it could be the msblaster virus, so I used Symantec's removal tool for that... and it didn't come up with anything.

I'm currently running a full system scan with Trend Micro's web-based scanner to see if that comes up with anything. Otherwise, I'm lost. Any ideas?

Here's my system specs:

ASUS K8V-X mobo
AMD 64 3400 CPU (stock speeds)
1GB (2x512) Corsair TwinX Pro DDR 400
Antec 450W PSU
ATI X700 Pro 256 GPU
74GB 10,000 RPM SATA HD
160GB 7200 RPM IDE HD
Onboard LAN wired into a 1Gigabit Fiber Optic Modem

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Sounds like a worm. It may not be on your system, but just trying to infect you from the internet. If your system is clean, i'd suggest a firewall of somekind.

I had it too since last night. Nothing happen during rest of the day but it started again half an hour ago. Just updated all the critical patches. Hope it doesn't occur again. AVG didn't report anything as well. A new worm on the loose? Some kind of attempt at remote hacking? It not only disrupts the internet connection, it screws up sound as well.

netapi32error.png

Apparently it's always at the same fault address 0x0000a3c0.

Not sure what it is, but it's annoying as hell.

I updated both Adaware and Spybot, and ran them both.. came up with a few misc. items, a few cydoor entries, etc... cleaned it all out with both scans, rebooted and scanned again.. came up clean.

Also added the last few Windows Updates.

Hopefully one of those processes will have taken care of the problem.

Never heard of netapi32.dll, at least it isn't a part of the official windows release. Check that out.

EDIT: oh wait, it's a part of the .NET framework. But this definitely sounds fishy.

Coundn't hurt to remove all versions of .NET and reinstall it/them with the latest additional security patches then.

Back