comparison of need for speed

scooby_dooby said:
Yes they were different in taht one was a tech demo and one was CGI, I stated as much. Point being that EA typically overpromised and underdelivers, and so I'll believe my own two eyes when I see FN3 in-game.

I actually don't believe for a second the final game will look that good...but we'll see. And BTW, Fight Night is one of my favourite all-time EA franchises, it's one of the few places where they have actually gone above and beyond what was needed, and created the best boxing game ever. So my hat actually has always gone off to EA for their FightNight games, but that doesn't make up for the lack of quality/innovation/prograssion in most of their other franchises.

edit- FN3 is rumoured for a 2007 release, cross-platform, if they do wait that long, then there's no reason it can't look as good as it did in teh demo's. But I don't see it happening next year, so it depends.

Actually there have been times EA has underpromised and overdelivered so...
And I do believe that Fight Night will look like that. Why make that demo using real in-game assets just to tone them down in the real thing. Wouldn't that make the game look worst in the consumers eyes?

IMO, hyper-realism is sometimes overrated. In many cases, a more surrealistic or impressionist approach can make an image much more beautful.

Not agreed. Gran Turismo will always be looked apon as one of the best looking and most wanted racing games.

I wish EA could make the surrounding look more realistic. Kinda more like PGR3.

mckmas8808 said:
Not agreed. Gran Turismo will always be looked apon as one of the best looking and most wanted racing games.

I wish EA could make the surrounding look more realistic. Kinda more like PGR3.

He's right, under certain situations, a more stylish approach can make something look much more beautiful than the sometimes boring "real look".

See ICO for example.

I'm not sure this holds true for racing games in particular, which i guess need to be realistic, but i can imagine situations where more surreal approaches can produce much more interesting images than a 100% realistic method.

I mean, we see reality every bloody day, videogames are a chance to go past that and use human's imagination to convey more interesting experiences.

Oh oh of course. I love Okami, SOTC, Lococross (whatever it's called) for the PSP, etc kind of games. I just don't think it hold that much weight with Racing and Sports games. Those games most people tend to like realistc looking. Only a more fantasy game (aka something that can't happen in real life) is a more stylish of looking game great.

Back