Chevy Volt drivers average 800 miles between fill-ups.

I beg your pardon. Are you saying it's ok for you to say "You are very annoying to have a conversation with..." because, presumably, that person doesn't agree with you when you appear to be doing exactly the same thing?
It has nothing to do with him not agreeing with me. It has to do with him answering a question with something unrelated to it. If you asked me how much power TVs use, would you not find me difficult to debate with if I started quoting figures for computer monitors?

I don't recall seeing an agreement that there had to be a limitation that excluded diesels?
See what Sxotty said above, or what I said earlier. This article goes into a little detail:
http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...when_the_world_is_running_short_of_it_-column

If more Europeans go diesel, it will increase their oil consumption no matter how efficient the engine is. Maybe there will be an impetus to switch some US refineries to hydrocracking, but from the article it seems that this would reduce total vehicle fuel produced, and the balance between gasoline and diesel would only change a few percent anyway. Basically, prices will always adjust themselves to maintain the consumption ratio. I'm not excluding diesels, but we have to see typical gasoline engines get astounding efficiency also before PHEV is written off as too expensive or questionable as a technology to flock towards.

In any case, what people choose to buy is the bottom line. If Lexus and Infiniti can make a 300hp+ car/SUV into an equivalently performing hybrid for $3k-$6k, then I don't see why PHEV isn't able to economically address all customer needs/desires. Small diesel engines may be more economical for a couple years for the smallest cars, but that's it.

Back