Ces 2010

Arwin

Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
Legend
So CES 2010 is coming up shortly, with some keynotes starting tomorrow already. Will be interesting in this year of 3D display technologies and more, and probably deserves a topic.

Online news sources:
I came across this little iPhone App that's specifically tailored to people going there, but may also be of interest to those who aren't - particularly of note is that all the brochures and handouts are downloadable and readable as pdfs for instance. Also has built in twitter features, scheduler, an interactive floorplan, etc. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4v7FFzNOR0 or download by searching for Follow Me or CES 2010 in the App Store.

Wasn't the NES touted as high-res graphics? (Is high-resolution the most meaningless term in all of gamerdom?)

Last edited by a moderator:
There's talk that Microsoft will announce a 'Game Room', which would be that Home-like avatar playground we saw a while back.

In the GAF Game Room thread, they found a video of Robbie Bach confirming the Game Room thing, at about 12 minutes in. He says it's a retro approach, and mentions games like centipede (and 30 or so similar games), bringing that sort of game to a very broad audience, to get, uh, your kids to enjoy the same sorts of games you once did as a young whippersnapper.

(There's a comment about 9mins in which he talks about MS investing in pure research. I thought they only did applied stuff, like pretty much every other corporate research center.)

I mean pure research, without necessarily any practical applications or intended product. Corporations used to do it, not so much anymore -- I was wondering if MS was the exception, or if Robbie Bach used the term 'pure research' wrong. I already knew about Microsoft Research, of course.

As for the video, I can put it up on some hosting site, but my 'net's so slow (particularly for uploads) that by then it'll be 6:30 PST anyway.

Stardust HD was used to demo thier 3d TVs which adds to the list of PS3 games seen running in 3d, that was the most interesting thing i got out of the conference :LOL:

I mean pure research, without necessarily any practical applications or intended product. Corporations used to do it, not so much anymore -- I was wondering if MS was the exception, or if Robbie Bach used the term 'pure research' wrong. I already knew about Microsoft Research, of course.

MS has done and continues to do a lot of "pure" research. Much of it never see's the light of day, some of it does. For example the MS Surface technology research started years and years ago with no potential product in mind. It's all a sort of conglomeration of various research technologies they had done through the years. But it's finally gaining a bit of momentum with applied products. Mythbusters, for example, I believe is using the platform now on their show as are a few other shows (The Colbert Report on Comedy Central uses one also I think).

Most of the stuff we'll never hear about...

Heck take a look at Natal, it wasn't even a product concept at the time MS was doing research into some of the tech used in it. But somewhere along the way, someone took a look at some of the research that was getting done and thought, "you know what? We could use this...oh and this research could be applicable...oh and this other bit of research could be tied in." Add in some licensed tech, and voila, Natal concept was born.

Regards,
SB

Last edited by a moderator:
MS has done and continues to do a lot of "pure" research. Much of it never see's the light of day, some of it does. For example the MS Surface technology research started years and years ago with no potential product in mind. It's all a sort of conglomeration of various research technologies they had done through the years. But it's finally gaining a bit of momentum with applied products. Mythbusters, for example, I believe is using the platform now on their show as are a few other shows (The Colbert Report on Comedy Central uses one also I think).

Most of the stuff we'll never hear about...

Heck take a look at Natal, it wasn't even a product concept at the time MS was doing research into some of the tech used in it. But somewhere along the way, someone took a look at some of the research that was getting done and thought, "you know what? We could use this...oh and this research could be applicable...oh and this other bit of research could be tied in." Add in some licensed tech, and voila, Natal concept was born.

Regards,
SB

I realize all that. It's not really what I'd term pure research, not in the way, say, Bell Labs or GM used to do it. It's OT, so I won't go into more detail as to what I mean. Just a further note that the sort of research you mention is carried out by quite a few major corporations -- it's the sort of thing I thought of immediately when I saw Bach's claim in the video. I was hoping for clarification relating directly to how MS' approach to research is unique, not really generalities.

I realize all that. It's not really what I'd term pure research, not in the way, say, Bell Labs or GM used to do it. It's OT, so I won't go into more detail as to what I mean. Just a further note that the sort of research you mention is carried out by quite a few major corporations -- it's the sort of thing I thought of immediately when I saw Bach's claim in the video. I was hoping for clarification relating directly to how MS' approach to research is unique, not really generalities.

What do you mean by "pure" research? I would say that what microsoft research does is the closest thing you would find to pure research in the software world (unless of course you mean University pHd style thesis research, in which case I would make some snide remark about how the research microsoft does has some possibility of being used one day :) ).

In terms of their approach to research, I'm not sure what you mean. Do you mean their methodology? I doubt it would be unique and I'm not sure what that matters.

I'm sorry to have taken the thread OT, but I'm not continuing down this line of conversation. If you must know what I meant, PM me.

Back