Cents ...

Humus

Crazy coder
Veteran
This has bothered me slightly the last seven weeks I've been in Canada. Why is there still 1 cent coins? Do anyone actually care about that amount of money? It just keep collecting and making my wallet a lot thicker than it needs to be. I've just kept emptying it from all these and the 5 and 10 cents coins too, and put them into the drawer. Now I probably have a large enough heap so that I will need excessive baggage on the flight back home ;)

1 cent CDN is roughly 5-6 öre (1 öre = 0.01SEK). For maybe 7-8 years ago or so we got rid of the 10 öre coins in Sweden and today the lowest valued coin is worth 0.5 SEK or roughly 10 cent CDN / 8 cent US, and I can't say I even care for these. SO why do both Canada and the US still use 1 cent coins?
Btw, why are the US and Canadian 1 cent coins so similar? Roughly one out of ten of the 1 cent coins I get turns out to actually be US coins. :)

Humus said:
This has bothered me slightly the last seven weeks I've been in Canada. Why is there still 1 cent coins? Do anyone actually care about that amount of money? It just keep collecting and making my wallet a lot thicker than it needs to be. I've just kept emptying it from all these and the 5 and 10 cents coins too, and put them into the drawer. Now I probably have a large enough heap so that I will need excessive baggage on the flight back home ;)

1 cent CDN is roughly 5-6 öre (1 öre = 0.01SEK). For maybe 7-8 years ago or so we got rid of the 10 öre coins in Sweden and today the lowest valued coin is worth 0.5 SEK or roughly 10 cent CDN / 8 cent US, and I can't say I even care for these. SO why do both Canada and the US still use 1 cent coins?
Btw, why are the US and Canadian 1 cent coins so similar? Roughly one out of ten of the 1 cent coins I get turns out to actually be US coins. :)

lol, it wouldn't be so bloody bad if they had not turned our $1 and $2 bills into coins. As for the American pennies ...... we are Americas largest trading partener and the boarder is quite fluid. At any rate hope you enjoyed your stay in Canada. BTW just out of curiosity what did you like the most about your stay?

Sabastian said:
lol, it wouldn't be so bloody bad if they had not turned our $1 and $2 bills into coins. As for the American pennies ...... we are Americas largest trading partener and the boarder is quite fluid. At any rate hope you enjoyed your stay in Canada. BTW just out of curiosity what did you like the most about your stay?

Well, $1 and $2 as coins makes sense to me. It's not a large amount of money. We have 10SEK coins in Sweden, which is a little less than $2 CDN. Just as long as you trim at the bottom too. The 1 cents should go. The 5 cents could stay if they wouldn't be so similar to the quarters. I always need to take a closer look.

What I like most about my stay ... well, it's generally a very nice place. Lot of diversity, lots of cultures, ethnics and different languages packed together without any problems as far as I can tell. It makes me feel less bad my language, I'm far from the only one who are not natively english speaking. People are also very polite, much more so than Swedes. Sometimes it feels a little exaggerated though. If you say bump into someone, you say like "excuse me", and so do I of course. But sometimes you don't even need to touch people, and they go "excuse me", and I go like "for what?" :) Well, I don't actually say that, just think ... Sometimes it just feels hard to meet the standard, I'm nowhere near as polite as the average guy around here.
Also, there's a lot of cool stuff around here. Have been to the CN Tower, Niagara falls, the Ontario science centre etc. I also enjoy the typical Cadadian attributes, Hockey/Moose/Beaver/Red-guy-with-a-hat :)
The only thing that would really keep me from staying here permanently would be the language and the fact that most people I know live in Sweden.

One part of the fear of getting rid of penny's is the "round up fear" that every merchant will round up and "rip off the working man".

I think another fear is that by marginalizing the penny, we sort of "give in" to the inflationary force and then when does the nickel go? The dime?

I think we'll hold on to the penny until we go cashless.

I figure the government here will phase out the penny soon enough. I mean the only reason we switched to the Loonie and Twoonie ($1 and $2 respectively) was to save money and allow longer circulation of future currency.

Talking about money ... why doesn't the Canadian law enforce that prices be advertised including tax? It's quite annoying. Everything looks cheaper than it is.

Humus said:
Talking about money ... why doesn't the Canadian law enforce that prices be advertised including tax? It's quite annoying. Everything looks cheaper than it is.

Because ..... it allows people to get an idea of how much tax they are paying each time they buy something. Personally I would prefer it if they gave the final price showing exactly how much they are paying on top of the retail price. Taxes should not be hidden more then they are already.

My mother has been keeping her pennies in big coffee cans for the last couple of years. She counted it out the other day and there was over $100 and it filled two large coffee cans to the top. Granted, it took a couple of years to accumulate, but what a nice surprise for her! Besides, pennies are lucky ;)

Sabastian said:
Because ..... it allows people to get an idea of how much tax they are paying each time they buy something. Personally I would prefer it if they gave the final price showing exactly how much they are paying on top of the retail price. Taxes should not be hidden more then they are already.

In Sweden the law states that the price including tax must always be present, but it would be nice if law demanded that the price excluding tax was also visible. Most stores however write the amount of tax on the reciept though, so you get reminded just as much about the taxes, but just without the consumer inconvenience.

RussSchultz said:
One part of the fear of getting rid of penny's is the "round up fear" that every merchant will round up and "rip off the working man".

I think another fear is that by marginalizing the penny, we sort of "give in" to the inflationary force and then when does the nickel go? The dime?

I think we'll hold on to the penny until we go cashless.

Not too mention we got to keep Lincoln arounf here in the states.

Back