cas 3 memory

mito

beyond noob
Veteran
Is this memory slow?

OCZ PC-3200 DDR400 Performance Series 2GB (2x1024) Dual Channel Kit CAS3

3-3-3-7

I'd be using the pair with my asus a8n-e.

Thx

Looks fine to me. Do you plan to overclock? If so, then get a second opinion on it's oc'ing ability before you shell out imo. Otherwise I doubt you'll see any difference between 2.5-3-3-7, 3-3-3-7 and so on for every day usage.

That's slow for 1Gig PC-3200. The typical settings for 1Gig PC-4000 are 250Mhz@3-3-3-8.

Those with good memory are able to push 275-300Mhz with 3-3-3-8 timings. I lucked out with my 2 x 1Gig Crucial Z503s and can hit 308Mhz @ 3-3-3-8 timings.

well on athlon64s cas2 for a alot of ram is cas 2.5 so the difference shouldn't be that big.
You won't notice untill you run some benchmarks.
I think the difference would be a few fps at the most.
However that ram has pretty shodding times for PC3200, it's normally the 4000 and above that have loose timings.

Well it's performance series, not platinum or gold, so that's probably the best you can get in that price range, which isn't particulairily great. If you can get 300Mhz 3-3-3 with 1GB modules, you're doing pretty damn good though, that's basically top of the line.

DudeMiester said:
Well it's performance series, not platinum or gold, so that's probably the best you can get in that price range, which isn't particulairily great. If you can get 300Mhz 3-3-3 with 1GB modules, you're doing pretty damn good though, that's basically top of the line.

The highest I have ever seen from the world-best overclockers and good cooling with 2 x 1 GB modules is 3-3-3-7 at 2.9v at 307MHz. With 2 x 512MB modules it's easy to hit at lower voltage. But for 2 x 1 GB? It's extremely hard to hit (Super Pi 32M Stable).

Brit, if you're running at 308MHz, you should post it at XS & take the #1 spot, unless it's not SPi 32M stable. I'd rather have a completely stable system at slightly lower voltage & speed than something that could fail at any time.

BTW Brit, what cooling are you using, anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Karma Police said:
Brit, if you're running at 308MHz, you should post it at XS & take the #1 spot, unless it's not SPi 32M stable. I'd rather have a completely stable system at slightly lower voltage & speed than something that could fail at any time.

BTW Brit, what cooling are you using, anyway?

I have posted there and was in 1st place for quite some time. Now I'm in 2nd or 3rd place, one person had done the same FSB but with slightly lower latency of 3-3-3-7. I was going to post up the 308Mhz benchmark run, but
some other lucky sod with an OPTY has hit 311 FSB. The front page of the O/C database hadn't been updated by Enjoy yet. My poor ol X2 wont go much beyond 308 at all. And not much point in updating mine just to bump up 1 notch and not be in 1st place.

As for cooling, just using 2 80mm fans blowing over top the memory for benchmarking runs. For 24/7 settings, I use 2.7 volts at 277Mhz FSB and a higher multiplier. I could get by with a single 80mm fan for the 24/7 runs or none at all, but its such a pain always changing hardware configs etc...

I also need to get off my butt and get my watercooling project kicked off again...

Onto the topic again, there's some good reports of O/C coming out of Team's 1Gig sticks. I think they use UCC memory. But in either case, I'd avoid purchasing the Ballistix Z503's as a new purchase. Too many failures being reported and questions as to Crucial even producing them anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back