Can you do better than my rig, at a lower cost?

Kwipper

Newcomer
This is my new rig from the wishlist at newegg.com that I will be building. Can you guys do better than the choices that I have made.. and end up with a lower final price?

http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=3407165

Notes: I decided to remove the DVD-RW drive and the Soundcard (Audigy 4) since I already have them on my previous computer and I'll just swap them over.

Rules:
- Parts must only be from newegg.com website.
- Rebates aren't allowed (Unless they are Instant Rebates)
- Final price of rig must be equal to or lower than my final price.
- Processor must be of AMD stock only. (Sorry. No Intel CPU's!)
- No Overclocking!

- No Overclocking!

this removes all the fun... without overclocking/choosing the right parts for it, all one can do is look for lowest prices...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813157093 ASRock AM2V890-VSTA Socket AM2 VIA K8T890 CF ATX AMD Motherboard - You said no overcloking? No SLI, but CF support :)
+
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102685
ATI 100-714800 All-In-Wonder Radeon X1900 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail $219.99
16 pipes + tuner (unless they lie about 16 pipes...)

Whwre is my cookie :D

No Intel huh, that's a mistake, no overclocking is another; granted they're overpriced now but in a few weeks when supply gets better they'll lower to MSRP. The E6400 for around $220 offers performance on par with the 5000+ at stock and overclocks amazingly well on air.

DDR2 800 is overkill, the difference is negligible.

X1900 GT - $198, X1800 XT - $200

I'd recommend the Enermax Liberty over the Antec as well.

buying your LCD online is probably a bad idea. You can probably find that viewsonic in any of the large retail chains, and it might be 5-10% more expensive -- still way less than shipping, and you can test it for dead pixels and return it. newegg's got one of the better return policies around, but RMA shipping would cost you a lot, and an 8 dead pixel policy? well, i live in chiner so i can test mine right in the shop. I wouldn't accept anything less than a 1 dead pixel exchange policy. Downside with retail of course is having to shop around for it. They do tend to rip you off on randomly selected models, but I bet you can find it "on sale" if you poke around long enough.

Instead of paying $140 for case + PSU you could get the $ 90 Antec Sonata II, which is a decent case that comes with a Antec SmartPower 450W PSU.

Yeah that power supply is way overkill for that system (I have a very similar setup and it pulls 165W from the wall so once you account for the 20% loss in the power supply it's <150W for the system).

No Intel huh, that's a mistake, no overclocking is another; granted they're overpriced now but in a few weeks when supply gets better they'll lower to MSRP. The E6400 for around $220 offers performance on par with the 5000+ at stock and overclocks amazingly well on air.

I know I am looking at getting an intel for the first time since the stone age :)

Actually I had a 2.8GHz p4 for a very short time, but it doesn't really count as I was simply building a computer for someone and holding it for awhile. Previous to that it was a celeron 533 the ones with a 66mhz FSB that all overclocked to 100mhz thus to 800mhz at least.

The reason why I say no overclocking is because I do not plan on overclocking these boards. I really just don't trust overclocking at all. Making the CPU run faster than intended for just a few extra frames per second... at the risk of turning your CPU into a papwerweight just doesn't sound very appealing to me. Yeah I know that there are specialized heatsinks and watercooling, specially made for overclockers, but I just would feel much safer by just not doing it in the first place.

Also, the reason for me sticking with the AMD chip is because the AM2 chipset will be compatable with the AM3 processors due out in 2008, which means that when they do come out, I won't have to swap out my board for a new one in case if I do need a new processor when that time comes.

Overclocking a cheap AMD is a no-brainer. Many motherboard brands offer you an utility that does it for you, as it always works, when you don't get too greedy with it.

If you buy an ASUS MB, you get an utility that has a 10% overclock as the default setting.

Back