Can anyone recommend a pocketpc type device for me?

Fox5

Veteran
Power isn't too important to me(provided it can run the snes, genesis, and gba emulators available), but I'd like something small with good battery life that can be hooked up to a mini fold up keyboard.
I've thought about getting the Tapwave Zodiac, but I'm thinking it might be overpriced for what you get. Plus I don't know if it can hook up to a keyboard.(to type notes and stuff into of course)
I'd also like to be able to program on it, so it needs to be able to run compilers, view html documents, and maybe unrar/zip files.

Of course, if anybody knows any pocketpc type devices with 3d chips on them(maybe mbx) out now or coming out ever, I'll go for that instead.

Hi Fox5,

I'm not sure about PocketPCs as I ended up buying a Tungsten T3 instead. (It's really nice for pda work, decent for web browsing, poor for programming.).

You might want to consider a Sharp Zaurus running linux. In some ways I wish I would have saved up for one. You can pretty much do any kind of programming you like on one (perl, python, C, C++, Java, etc), they work very well for web browsing, and there are game emulators available for them. Not to mention they have 640x480 screens on the Japanese models.

Nite_Hawk

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38331&item=5707357106&rd=1
This is what you're talking about? Kind of hard to find the Japanese one though.

BTW, what about this
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/pro...im_x30_high?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs
The Dell Axim x30 with an Intel XScale processor. Though if it can't run windows programs the idea of getting an Intel processor seems kind of pointless to me, but it does run at 624mhz and had WMMX technology.
How does that compare to the ARM 9 in the tapwave and probably the ARM 9 in the Sharp Zaurus?(both are around 200mhz)

For that matter, how do all the cpus compare to the SH-3 at around 100mhz on my old 1996 black and white compaq pda?(which I'd probably still use, if the screen hadn't cracked a few years ago in the cold)

As for programing, as long as it supports Java I can run BlueJ's java version and get some programming done on that.(imagine how crappy that will run though.....)
I'd also like to be able to program in C++ and Visual Basic(C++ is just something I want to experiment with on my own since they no longer offer it at my school, and I'll be taking the Visual Basic class next year since I've already exhausted the Java classes).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38331&item=5707736219&rd=1
Also found the SL-5600.

The Zaurus is by far the most flexible PDA in existence. I owned one for a couple years. It was fun. But, it is also the most frustrating PDA around due to the buggy GUI and lack of finished software.

In some ways it's an example of what's wrong with opensource. No accountability, buggy messes, little support.

But, you can basically do anything with it. Port anything that has Linux source over. If the Strongarm 206Mhz can handle it.....which it often can't :)

I had Doom (prboom) running on it with software wavetable MIDI (SDL-Mixer has Timidity). It ALMOST ran smooth.....sorta depressing how close it was. More than a few concurrent instruments was too much for it though lol.

DO NOT GET A ZAURUS IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO USE PERSONAL INFORMATION MANAGEMENT (PIM) tools. The Zaurus is SORELY lacking in that department. Go with a Palm. The Zaurus has generally very limited battery life as well. Think 2-2.5 hours for the 5500.

I don't have much experience with Linux, nor with porting software(especially linux software). What differences are involved in going from x86 to ARM?

And what kind of tools fall into PIM? I am looking for Microsoft Word type functionality.

Hi Fox5,

The PDA you linked to is the old US version of the zaurus. It's still a decent pda for the price, but the japanese models are significantly faster and have much better screens.

Here is a link to a site that sells the various Japanese Zaurus models:

http://conics.net/shp/pda/zaurus-sl-c700/index.html

They all contain 400MHz xscale processors (though the slc-700 has the one with the cache bug which means it's significantly slower than the others). They all have *very* nice 640x480 screens, and built in keyboards.

What swaaye says is somewhat true from what I've heard, mainly that the built in PIM applications are not as good as on the palm (IE, calander, todo, memos, etc). On the other hand though, you can buy some better applications from trolltech, and from what I've heard the opie (opensource port of the sharp gui) has better applications built in as well.

Here's a link to screenshots of OPIE running on the slc-7XX pdas:

http://opie.handhelds.org/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=c7x0

Nite_Hawk

Eek! Some of those prices are a bit higher than I was planning on spending. $300-$400 was about what I was looking for.

Some of the Japanese ones are moderately priced, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with possible software incompatibilities, language differences(keyboard and software), or power conversion.

Any SH-4 powered handhelds? I'd imagine those would be a bit more powerful than xscale and arm based handhelds.

Fox5 said:
Eek! Some of those prices are a bit higher than I was planning on spending. $300-$400 was about what I was looking for.

Some of the Japanese ones are moderately priced, but I'm not sure if I want to deal with possible software incompatibilities, language differences(keyboard and software), or power conversion.

Any SH-4 powered handhelds? I'd imagine those would be a bit more powerful than xscale and arm based handhelds.

Hi Fox5,

Yeah, the price issue was why I didn't buy one either. I don't know of any handhelds that are using SH4s anymore. As far as I know xscale is kinda the standard these days...

Nite_Hawk

The point is you have to buy additional things to get the Zaurus' PIM apps up to speed. I've bought some software from thekompany, etc. But I still would never recommend the thing to someone who really wants to:

1) get work done on it
2) rely on it
3) expect a easy, trouble-free experience.

It's a messed up device with lots of problems. I've used the Zaurus 5500 through the original Sharp ROM, to the latest. I also ran several versions of OpenZaurus (which is nice, but screws up lots of the Sharp apps. big compatibility problems)

The 5500 also has some hardware flaws. The SD slot is a POS. It's extremely slow and doesn't really function right.

Also, manufacturers of of expansion CF cards rarely support the Zaurus. You have to go on a time-consuming journey of 3rd party driver searching. And, IF you find a driver, it's usually buggy in some way.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND A ZAURUS unless you are just all about tweaking and goofing around with Linux. You will NEED to know the Linux console. I spent countless hours learning about Linux configuration and commands at the command line.

I didn't use the PIM stuff at all. A paper daily planner would way outgun relying on the Zaurus for that stuff. It hard locks on buggy GUIs and apps too much and loses your data (especially when you have to hard reset the RAM-based 5500.) Oh, and sometimes it doesn't wake up from suspend and you have to reset it. Oh, and synching is almost impossible. The Z locked up on FTP transfers thru the cradle. The cradle software stinks. I used a CF card and adapter for all transfers.

I used my Zaurus for playing MP3s and OGGs in the car, reading PDF files in classes (heheheh), browsing the web in pain (2" screens are worthless for web browsing), playing Doom choppily but with good sound, and playing some of the cool game ports at EonGames.com.

Believe me. I will recommond ANY other PDA for people who aren't hardcore Linux/gearhead junkies. ANY other PDA. A friend of mine who spends his days hacking Linux for a local ISP bought a 5600 and is constantly telling me of the troubles he has with it. This thing has the craziest learning curve in the history of electronic devices, IMO. And, no it's not cuz Linux is tough. It's because things never work like they are supposed to or how you expect.

My overall opinion after this crazy diatribe:

The Sharp Zaurus series PDA is a very expensive, very powerful geek tool for those wanting a portable PC to tinker with. It is not a worthy information storage tool at all. It is a prototype for what could be the most incredible PDA around, but it needs TONS of work, and significantly better support from its manufacturer and 3rd party companies.

Ok, well looks like the Zaurus is out then.
I think the zodiac is out too. As much as I love the design, I did a bit of research on the Palm and PocketPC oses, and for what I want PPC just totally blows away Palm. Palm is to pocketpc what mac is to windows, except if windows was already severely crippled in functionality and mac was even worse.

I guess the Dell Axim X30 is the best choice for me. I don't care for the design, but I'll probably be using a fold up keyboard most of the time anyway. It has pocket word, which I doubt has spell check but at least it should support formatting. Now, any compilers for it? If it supports Java I can get blueJ to run(though what I can do with java would be limited to the libraries on the pda....can you update them?), but what about other compilers?
PPC also seems to be the only real choice for emulators.

BTW, what about the Ipaq? I've seen some programs that are listed as Ipaq only, are they really though?(my old pda was a black and white sh-3 based compaq btw, but I don't think it was an ipaq...it ran windows ce and had a built in keyboard) Also, I've noticed you can change the OS of the Ipaq from PPC to Linux, but how does its linux support compare to the Zaurus, and can you change it back?

Or should I just wait? I've noticed a lot of people talking about how future pocketpcs will support windows mobile 2005, and will have directx support, and possibly 3d acceleration. When are those coming out, and would they be within my price range of $300-$400 for the PDA?

swaaye said:
I used my Zaurus for playing MP3s and OGGs in the car, reading PDF files in classes (heheheh), browsing the web in pain (2" screens are worthless for web browsing), playing Doom choppily but with good sound, and playing some of the cool game ports at EonGames.com.

Wow, you certainly have a chip on your shoulder with regards to the zaurus :?

Web browsing on a PDA isn't quite as bad as you make it out to be though. The problem with the 5500 (and the PocketPCs) is the low res screen. 320x240 really isn't enough to do much with. Web browsing on my T3 is a much nicer experience, but the software is a bit buggy (it hard locks my T3 on occassion, and it's slow). I imagine browsing on one of the japanese models in 640x480 would be a really nice. Web browsing is actually one of the primary things I use my T3 for.

As far as the other stuff goes, I guess the grass is always greener. I'd love a Zaurus for the programming functionality, but it sounds like the PIM stuff sucks. With my T3, the PIM stuff is pretty good, but the proramming options suck.

So far it seems like no one has quite gotten it right. A stable japanese model zaurus with good manufacturer support and a decent PIM suite would be a lot closer to perfect.

Nite_Hawk

You can get 3rd party programs....

Anyhow, I'll probably be going with the Dell. I was able to find a bunch of compilers for it, a 3rd party word processor superior to pocket word, and it can even run a psx emulator at full speed....though unless you can remap controls to a keyboard then that's worthless.

Fox5 said:

Anyhow, I'll probably be going with the Dell. I was able to find a bunch of compilers for it, a 3rd party word processor superior to pocket word, and it can even run a psx emulator at full speed....though unless you can remap controls to a keyboard then that's worthless.

Cool, good luck with it. Let us know what you think after you've had it for a while.

Nite_Hawk

Nite_Hawk said:
Fox5 said:

Cool, good luck with it. Let us know what you think after you've had it for a while.

Nite_Hawk

Sure, but I'm not getting it immediately, but I plan to have it for the upcoming school year.

Neat.....I notice it says 3d acceleration with 8MB ram, I wonder what chip it has.

I bet that thing costs as much as a good laptop though, probably like $1500-$2000.

Doesn't really look small enough to fit in your pocket though.....at least not in a comfortable way. I'm not sure how big it is, but it looks nearly as big as the original gameboy.

Back