Brothers : A tale of two sons : from Starbreeze studios

A friend of mine told me there was a Japanese (I think) game on PS2 game that had exactly the same control scheme. Can't remember the title. Still, this game looks pretty good.

Looks pretty cute, though I suspect very light on gameplay, mostly (easy?) puzzles. I think my kid may enjoy it though, and could be fun for him to play together with me or a friend ...
Simplified control scheme doesn't mean it's light or easy on gameplay, but this does look like a good all-ages approach.

Started playing this last night compliments of PS+. Very pretty game that has the atmosphere of a "bro" ICO. Good music to boot.

However, if you aren't ambidextrous (which I am not) this game may just give you arthritis. The novelty of the dual stick control scheme is for me at least overridden by constantly fighting to keep positional control. The game is a non-stop session of rubbing your stomach while patting your head while walking forward and looking behind you. Although this is minor, the X axis camera control seems to be reversed (which is unusual) and has no invert option. I doubt my wife could control this game despite the aesthetics being perfect for her.

I realize it might not have left much "game" in the game but it definitely seems like they should have gone with one AI controlled character and let you trade off between them instead of the controlling both at once thing.

Maybe children have an easier time with this? Is the game supposed to be an ambidextrous trainer?

Cheers

I don't think I am ambidextrous, and after like half an hour I managed to adopt to the unusual control system pretty well. The game is also so light on mechanical challenge (or any sort of challenge whatsoever for that matter) that screwing up every once in a while doesn't really matter. As for the A.I. part: the fact that you control both brothers yourself is very tightly married to a late game story twist.

Hey Renegade - what system did you play this on?

An example of stuff that is hard on the hands (using the dual shock) would be spots where one character has to turn a crank (constantly spinning right stick while holding R2) and the other has to do something directionally (point left stick in various directions while holding / releasing L2). The "hold R2 while stick spinning" thing is carpel tunnel inducing so I hope there is not too much more of that.

Cheers

Hey Renegade - what system did you play this on?

An example of stuff that is hard on the hands (using the dual shock) would be spots where one character has to turn a crank (constantly spinning right stick while holding R2) and the other has to do something directionally (point left stick in various directions while holding / releasing L2). The "hold R2 while stick spinning" thing is carpel tunnel inducing so I hope there is not too much more of that.

Cheers

on the ps3. I enjoyed the controls frakly, it was refreshing and , IMO, the game is about the controls. I mean, the fun was in getting those movements done with ur hands, we had a few laughs doing it, the game itself on screen is more of a journey through a story. I didn't find the controls annoying or painful, just fun and new, something we enjoyed doing. We took the controls as the "game", so I enjoyed it quite a bit. And I think the game was made that way too, cos we didn't have to think it, it just happened that controlling them WAS the game :)

Ah yes this was the game that made my eyes bleed after a few weeks of PS4 gaming. What an eye sore. Thing is, I'd have thought it looked pretty good, had I not played through ISS three times, TR: DE a couple of times etc etc...

Back