Broadband through Radio?!

Apparently it's a broadband service with no connection, it's completely wireless....thus the "wireless broadband" label.

I think you need it LB, it seems very you.

In a lot of places in the US they are using "wireless" internet that is line of site. Basically like Satalite, but instead of using orbital sats, they use towers. You have a dish that points at a tower and the tower has fiber. This type of service has some pretty high pings and is not very good for gaming, but is ok for browsing and file transfers (although I always disliked the lag when typing in Telnet... although real satalite is a LOT worse).

In other areas they are developing large hot spot areas. I think Philly has done this. I believe this is the idea behind WiMax as well. This are like glorified WiFi.

I don't have time to check out the site, so I am not sure which they are offering.

digitalwanderer said:
Apparently it's a broadband service with no connection, it's completely wireless....thus the "wireless broadband" label.

I think you need it LB, it seems very you.

Bitchy doesn't suit you uncle :devilish:

Well i had never heard about this. what worries me, how safe and reliable can it be?

Sounds like Wireless Local Loop. They've been talking about this for years, but no one has a commercial service running on it yet, probably because the wireless speeds have only just caught up with the ever advancing cable and DSL speeds.

You basically stick a base station down the end of your street connected into the local ISP's net, and every house in the street talks to the base station via a wireless antenna. Think of how a wireless home router and a wireless network card works, but on a street scale. It has the advantage of being very cheap to set up, as there is no need to dig up every street to lay cable to every house.

Bouncing Zabaglione Bros. said:
Sounds like Wireless Local Loop. They've been talking about this for years, but no one has a commercial service running on it yet, probably because the wireless speeds have only just caught up with the ever advancing cable and DSL speeds.

You basically stick a base station down the end of your street connected into the local ISP's net, and every house in the street talks to the base station via a wireless antenna. Think of how a wireless home router and a wireless network card works, but on a street scale. It has the advantage of being very cheap to set up, as there is no need to dig up every street to lay cable to every house.

Thanks! Is it stable/secure? :???:

london-boy said:
Bitchy doesn't suit you uncle :devilish:
Twasn't meant as bitchy, more condescending/sarcastic. ;)

It's probably only as secure as you make it, I'd definately check into what kind of security they use/allow.

london-boy said:
Thanks! Is it stable/secure? :???:

Depends how it's implemented. Should be better now with modern technology, but you never can tell. Look at how many cable companies use DOCSIS security - ie not that many. I've not looked at what's going on in WLL for some time since the tech seemed to have stalled.

The only major development I've seen recently is a more efficient way of building networks by using base stations additionally as repeaters, allowing wireless extensions to the master base stations as an when extra capacity is required.

Sprint was just rolling out some wireless broadband service when I moved from houston 4 years ago. It claimed to offer decent rates, but yeah, you had to be line of site of the towers downtown.

Back