brain teaser thread

While I'm waiting for Uncharted demo, here is another one I find counter intuitive:

There are infinite number of heliports distributed on an infinite 2d plane, each heliport hosting a single helicopter.

At some point all helicopters take off and land on the nearest heliport other than their own.

What's the maximum number of helicopters that can land on a single heliport?

While I'm waiting for Uncharted demo, here is another one I find counter intuitive:

There are infinite number of heliports distributed on an infinite 2d plane, each heliport hosting a single helicopter.

At some point all helicopters take off and land on the nearest heliport other than their own.

Just a quick few questions
Do the helicopters have to land exactly at the centre of each heliport? And if not, do you count helicopters as being on a heliport if any part is on the heliport or only if the centre is strictly inside?

Do you mean land simultaneously?

Is a heliport an open or closed shape?

Simon:
Simon F said:
I think you are meant to treat it as a circle. This should negate the need for the other two questions as well ...but just in case: no and no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Davros:
The helicopters don't all need to land at the same time, and even if they did we can make the helipads as large as we want in relation to the helicopters (we have infinite space after all :p).

Just a quick few questions
In short each helicopter moves to the heliport that is nearest to its original one for which distance is defined by centers (of heliports) only.
Do the helicopters have to land exactly at the centre of each heliport?
No (and doesn't matter)
And if not, do you count helicopters as being on a heliport if any part is on the heliport or only if the centre is strictly inside?
An helicopter can only land on a single heliport. No two heliports share same center.
Heliports don't overlap.
So where exactly it lands and how it lands are not important.
Do you mean land simultaneously?
Not necessarily at the same time, but same heliport.
Doesn't matter.

No. :p All he is saying is that heliports aren't stacked on top of each other, and that no part of one heliport can touch another.

Think of it this way, you can use any shape you want, any placement you want (with the exception of the above), and you can make them any size you want (again as long as they don't touch). The only rules you need to be concerned about is that all heliports must be the same shape and size.

The only rules you need to be concerned about is that all heliports must be the same shape and size.

Doesn't matter :)

The essence of question is that distance is measured from center to center, so basically heliports can be represented by their unique centers only.

It's a "points in a 2d plane" question.

And now for a seasonal metapuzzle: Why do people who people who hang out at places like B3D so often confuse Halloween and Christmas day?

And now for a seasonal metapuzzle: Why do people who people who hang out at places like B3D so often confuse Halloween and Christmas day?
Shouldn't that me more like confusing Hallowmas and Christmas?

In a similar vain:

"To be or not to be?", that is of course the question. What is the logical answer stated in decimal?

Answer 1 why am i right ?
because only a single helcopter can land at a single heliport now of course if you had double heliports you could land 2 choppers but you dont, all heliports are single heliports so im right so there...........

betan said:
Doesn't matter
Sure it does. Otherwise I could land infinitely many helicopters simply by using a shape without a center (imagine a picture frame for example) and making infinitely many infinitely smaller replicas surrounding it. Thus, if I choose a shape without a center and also get to manipulate the size of the individual heliports, I can land as many as I choose.

Back