Book Suggestions

Isaac Asimov, all of his books are great. He has many other smaller books that he was the editor but didnt write the stories, they are normally very good.
Melanie Rawn, Dragon Prince series.

Cant say Dan Brown impressed me, read a couple of pages of The Da Vinci code and it comes across like a script for an Arnold movie.

mcsven said:
I think Robert Heinlein is much overlooked when it comes to sci-fi. Starship Troopers, if you can get past the hype surrounding the politics, is a great piece of bona-fide science-fiction. Likewise for The Moon is a Harsh Mistress and Stranger From a Strange Land. I'm keen to get into the Lazarus Long stuff, but it's hard to find the earlier books that he appears in.

Of course there's always the first three Foundation books (I didn't enjoy the others as much) which are must-reads, along with Rendevous with Rama and 2001 (which I thought was a better book than film).

If you like Heinlein, I recommend Emergence by David R. Palmer. It's been called the best Heinlien book that he never wrote. That's unfair to the author because he has his own style, but it has that "magic" that a Heinlien novel seems to have.

I just checked on Amazon and it has a customer review average of 5 stars out of 34 reviews. Every single reviewer that bothered to rate it gave it a perfect score! This book is out of print so if you do want to pick it up, it'll have to be a used copy.

If you haven't read it or heard of it, I'd recommend Black House, a collaboration between Stephen King and Peter Straub. Although King (the more well known of the two) is known as a horror story writer, I wouldn't necessarily put the above book in this category (more of a murder mystery than horror) but it was a gripping read for me.

I've arrived too late to this thread it seems, all the books and authors I was going to recommend have already been mentioned! :LOL:

Therefore, I'd like to re-recommend:

*Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress; definitely one of the best classic sci-fis ever written. Also try Have Spacesuit, Will Travel. Some of his other books are a bit sexist and/or pretentious in this day and age, but many are well worth a read.
*Asimov; pretty much anything he ever wrote, at least of the older stuff. Nightfall, the original Foundation trilogy, his robot short stories and so on. You CAN'T go wrong there!
* Ursula K. LeGuin; earthsea is an easy choice. Very good books, except perhaps the last one or two. I seem to remember the series got a little stale in the end, but first three are very good and very unique books. Only read one other title by her, and that one was also very very good, but I can't remember the name.
* Herbert; Dune's a great, great work of literary art and a classic. Must read. Later on the series takes a huge left turn IMO, and some may or may not like them.
* Hamilton; Night's Dawn Trilogy, Fallen Dragon, the Commonwealth Saga. All worth their weight in...well, lira or pesos perhaps, hehe! But, you know what I mean!
*King/Strauss: The Talisman. Authors, but not this book mentioned so far afaik, so whee for me! It's kind of old now, so perhaps hard to find, I'm not sure if it's in print or not anymore.

*Jordan; BLECK! NO!!!! :LOL:

Brimstone said:
If you like Heinlein, I recommend Emergence by David R. Palmer. It's been called the best Heinlien book that he never wrote. That's unfair to the author because he has his own style, but it has that "magic" that a Heinlien novel seems to have.

I just checked on Amazon and it has a customer review average of 5 stars out of 34 reviews. Every single reviewer that bothered to rate it gave it a perfect score! This book is out of print so if you do want to pick it up, it'll have to be a used copy.
Thanks for the recommendation. I checked on Amazon.co.uk and could only find 3 used copies, starting at £35 ($60)! I'll see if I can find something a little more reasonably priced.

Regarding Asimov - Foundation series is ok, but I liked the robot series (the Elijah Bailey books - Caves of Steel, Naked Sun etc.) more, mainly because of the characters, I guess.

But his best are IMO some of the single books, like "The Gods Themselves" (IMO his best), "Nightfall" and "The End of Eternity".

Well on the one hand you have hardcore sci fi
William Gibson - Neuromancer series

On the other hand you have Fantasy sci fi
Ann mcaffee - Dragon riders of pern

And on the Gripping Hand ...
Larry Niven and Jerry Pournell - A Mote in Gods Eye

=P

Also not to miss would be:
Rama series - A.C Clarke and Lee Gentry
Uplift Wars - David Brin
A Canticle for Leibowitz - Walter M Miller Jr
Eon, Eternity, Anvil of the Stars, and Hammer of the Gods - Greg Bear
Shockwave Rider - John Brunner

In additon to all the fine books from Asimov =)

I just read the "Vampire Earth" series.

Way of the Wolf
Choice of the Cat
Tale of the Thunderbird
Valentine's Rising

It was a good read.

BlackAngus said:
Well on the one hand you have hardcore sci fi
William Gibson - Neuromancer series

Yes, definitely a must for every SF-fan! For those who didn't read it, that's where the idea for The Matrix came from.

Back