Black screen after Windows logo

snoplow

Newcomer
I have 2 partitions on my harddrive both have winXPsp2 on them.OS1 is C:working fine and I can view drive D:(OS2) contents while in OS1.I have backed up all critical data (wifes iTunes library)by moving them to drive :C and burning to DVD.MS website states that boot disks will not help with boot problems after Win logo screen.On startup I have option to choose which OS to boot to doesn't this exclude boot.ini as culprit?I have tried safe mode,command prompt,and last good blah blah,to no avail.This setup has been working for a few months .I tried playing audio cd in case it was video related could not hear music.I think that after logo screen is key to troubleshooting this prob am i off base?Any suggestions appreciated

If you get a black screen after login even in safe mode, then something's seriously wrong with your OS, and you are pretty much screwed.

You could try plopping in your windows install CD and do a repair operation.

If that doesn't work, it's probably just as well to do the ol' backup/format/reinstall...

snoplow said:
I have 2 partitions on my harddrive both have winXPsp2 on them.OS1 is C:working fine and I can view drive D:(OS2) contents while in OS1.I have backed up all critical data (wifes iTunes library)by moving them to drive :C and burning to DVD.MS website states that boot disks will not help with boot problems after Win logo screen.On startup I have option to choose which OS to boot to doesn't this exclude boot.ini as culprit?I have tried safe mode,command prompt,and last good blah blah,to no avail.This setup has been working for a few months .I tried playing audio cd in case it was video related could not hear music.I think that after logo screen is key to troubleshooting this prob am i off base?Any suggestions appreciated

This started happening to me a while back. Turned out Windows wouldn't start up with a disc in the DVD drive! Its probably not related to your problem but you never know..... computers can be strange things!

Back