Bittorrent Analysis - Suprnova Shutdown

silence said:
there is even one that is supposed to be supernova mirrorr.
There are a number of them, but they just allow you to access Suprnova's database....which they stopped updating completely on the 19th and that's all they got. :(

dunno....i got some really good stuff from BT _AFTER_ this sh*t.
suprnova is down, yes, but there wil be sites even better son.

i find it hard to belive that those idiots in RIAA/whatever do not understand what is this all about.

i _AINT_ gonna pay for shit. i rather DL from net, check it out and buy if its worth my money. otherwise?.....FOF.

It seems that Loki____ is raising money and will fight the MPAA in court. They got their letter (even posted it on the site) and are still operating.

It'll be interesting to see how the court works out, but I think they're screwed when it comes to the tracker hosting.

Well i'm desperately looking for episodes 32 to 51 (if 51 is the last one, i haven't seen >51 anywhere so i assume that's as far as it goes)of Full Metal Alchemist. They closed the site down before i could get those. I found them but they have freaking French subtitles, which is cool cause i can speak french, but there is NO WAY i'm sitting through ~20 episodes of an anime with french subtitles...

london-boy said:
Well i'm desperately looking for episodes 32 to 51 (if 51 is the last one, i haven't seen >51 anywhere so i assume that's as far as it goes)of Full Metal Alchemist. They closed the site down before i could get those. I found them but they have freaking French subtitles, which is cool cause i can speak french, but there is NO WAY i'm sitting through ~20 episodes of an anime with french subtitles...
51 is the last one, 'til the FMA movie comes out which supposedly will pick up where 51 leaves off.

Oh, and you got PM. ;)

silence said:
i _AINT_ gonna pay for shit. i rather DL from net, check it out and buy if its worth my money. otherwise?.....FOF.

If Russ hears this you will be in a giant flamewar.
The father and son challenge.

:LOL:

loekf2 said:
Please.. record companies out there why I would have to pay 11 euro's for a piece of coated plastic, some printed paper and a plastic casing ?

you are are aware MP3's are a lossy compressed format?

Suprnova is dead....long live eXeem!

This evening, Suprnova administrator Sloncek made an announcement that the Suprnova team and an un-known partner have created a p2p based bit-torrent distribution system called eXeem. Sloncek said that the company backing the project would remain anonymous for the present time. The announcement was made on Novastream, a radio station loosely affiliated to Suprnova.

He described eXeem as a file sharing program – “Kazaa and bit-torrent altogetherâ€￾. eXeem uses a modified version of the bit-torrent protocol. The program is still in beta testing, and will be available for public beta in the coming weeks. The program will be separate from Suprnova on eXeem.com (not currently online). Sloncek conceded that eXeem, although offered for free, will come with some adverts to help pay development costs.

eXeem will allow users to rate and add comments to files. This system is an attempt to pre-empt the system being flooded with poor quality/fake files, something that plagues tradition p2p networks like Kazaa. He said that users would be able to tell if files were of poor quality or fakes, and consequentially be able to weed out poor torrents from the system. He announced there were no current plans for the suprnova.org website. Interestingly, the administrator failed to comment on the use of the network for pirated and illegal software, and made no comment as to how, if at all, the system would prevent users from sharing pirated software and media.

london-boy said:

Hope you found the episodes you were looking for. FMA is a damn good series. I'm tempted to say even better than Cowboy BeBop. Most of my 32-51 eps were subtitled by Spoon or Sonchou-SHS. As typical in all anime series, you may not like the last 3 episodes.

Lemme take back that happy talk about Exeem entirely, it's a scam. :(

CmdrTaco in a follow-up said:
First, Exeem really isn't an extension of Suprnova as the hype might have you believe: the connection between the two seems more marketing than anything else. Sloncek has been hired to promote their product as the heir apparent to his popular website, but his involvement really seems to be almost entirely PR. It'll work obviously: my headline on this story mentions Suprnova, and so will hundreds of websites around the world in the coming days. "Yet another p2p app" would not create anywhere near the waves that "Successor to Suprnova Announced" will. I hope that people judge exeem by its own merits and not by its (clever) marketing.

Second, Exeem is pretty much what was rumored earlier: a blending of the tracker, the BitTorrent client, and decentralized indexing. It's Windows only. It's in beta now, and will be out at some indeterminate date in the future. It also has a rating and commenting system which appears to be somewhat rudimentary. It's unclear to me if the rating system will be as useless as other attempts, and I think this is the critical thing: Suprnova succeeded because the content available on it was verified and trustworthy. Suprnova was as much the work of a few dozen editors as it was a list of torrent URLs. So far no other p2p system has achieved that level of accuracy. Exeem supports magnet sites which is a start, but not exactly p2p either. And did I mention that it's adware?

Third, there's a mystery company. Someone is paying Sloncek. He won't say who, but there's a history in the p2p world of secretive development. Since Exeem is to be adware, someday it will have a billing address, which means the legal issues faced by predecessors like Napster and Kazaa will be forthcoming, which is of course why we have a mystery company that Sloncek won't talk about in the first place. We definitely haven't heard the last of this.

Personally I was hoping for more: source code and cross platform compatibility never hurts. These are the things that made BitTorrent a huge success. I guess I was hoping for a new protocol instead of just another Kazaa. I guess I was hoping for a monumental leap, and instead Exeem to be a more incremental step. I'm sure we'll learn more in the coming weeks.

Back