Bioshock: Anyone think it's overrated

Your Bioshock score?

• Total voters
I think the perception of bioshock is different for those who've planed SS1 and 2 prior to Bioshock vs those who only played Bioshock. Does that seem right?

I think the perception of bioshock is different for those who've planed SS1 and 2 prior to Bioshock vs those who only played Bioshock. Does that seem right?

In what regard??

Are you saying those that enjoyed SS1 and SS2 will or will not like Bioshock.

I have played the SS series and immensely enjoyed Bioshock as well.

In what regard??

Are you saying those that enjoyed SS1 and SS2 will or will not like Bioshock.

I have played the SS series and immensely enjoyed Bioshock as well.

No just saying that people who have played SS1 and 2 might not feel that the game bring out a lot of new things (esp to the 360) and that it's more of an evolution of System Shock series. From what I gather, SS1 and SS2 have a lot of in common with Bioshock.

I'm saying that those who have played though SS1 and SS2 might be a bit harder to impress with Bioshock than those new to the series.

I finally played through the demo for this game, and must say that it looks wonderful and its presentation is top-notch. Taken in the context of the whole FPS genre, it stands out for being different, and that is becoming more and more important in a very crowded market. The style and smooth gameplay alone make me rate this game very highly, and I thought the controls were actually nigh on perfect, very very precise. I highly applaud what they tried to do with this game, and they succeeded very well. If this had been more adventure game and less shooter on rails, then I'd probably buy and play this game. N00b's summary is very valuable to me in that regard, so thanks for that. The demo might just have been exactly enough for me for now. But many props to Irrational regardless, it's a wonderful piece of work.

I finally played through the demo for this game, and must say that it looks wonderful and its presentation is top-notch. Taken in the context of the whole FPS genre, it stands out for being different, and that is becoming more and more important in a very crowded market. The style and smooth gameplay alone make me rate this game very highly, and I thought the controls were actually nigh on perfect, very very precise. I highly applaud what they tried to do with this game, and they succeeded very well. If this had been more adventure game and less shooter on rails, then I'd probably buy and play this game. N00b's summary is very valuable to me in that regard, so thanks for that. The demo might just have been exactly enough for me for now. But many props to Irrational regardless, it's a wonderful piece of work.

n00b isn't quite right on the linearity.

There are actually alot of optional areas in every level that you don't have to explore, and if you do you're rewarded with extra tonics, ammo or money. The game is quite good this way, always rewarding you nicely for exploration. Not to mention you'll discover some very cool/creepy set pieces along the way, which may be the best thing about exploring the environment.

It is a pretty linear game, but to call it totally linear with no discoveries at all, is wrong. It's much less linear than GOW for example, or Halo, or GRAW or any shooter really. It's only linear when compared to an RPG or action-adventure game.

Graphics are so-so, I'd rate it lower than D³ (what happened to the idea of unified lighting and shadowing?)
yeah i think they would of been better served with the d3 engine, instead of the not-to-impressive (technically) graphics engine they used, esp in such a setting (lotsa lighting) unified lighting would be far superior.
art/style wise though the game is great.

Back