Best console for livingroom multiplayer?

Which console is best for livingroom multiplayer?

• GameCube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Vince said:
nonamer said:
(or DDR, a close second)

LOL! You mean that arcade thing? I tried that once... If you can catch my drift.. heh.

Hey, just cuz you have no rhythm, don't be bashing DDR... ;) Back in the day, I was decent. But its been awhile, so I dunno about now. For me a good party game means girls must want to play it too. (No offense to girl gamers here, but you know what I mean) In my experience, no games are better at that then Super Monkey Ball and DDR.

Haven't tried Eyetoy - but it sounds very promising.

For starters, it is a two-horse race between GCN and Xbox. No question about it. Personally, I'd go with the 'Cube.

The Xbox has Halo (dynamite in multiplayer) among others but the GCN has just a slew of 4-player games; currently available and forthcoming. SSBM is by no means the only one, just the first.. and a taste of what was to come.

PS2 has some great multiplayer games, but with the requirement of a Multi-Tap for 4-player action.. 3+-player multiplayer simply never got the same attention that Xbox and GCN gave it with their built in quad-player support.

Nintendo themselves are big advocates of "friends & family" gaming in the living room, banking on it instead of moving forward with online multiplayer. Many of their own multiplayer-capable games are specifically designed for easy 4-player gameplay.. and the same holds true for close 3rd-party friends like Sega's Amusement Vision and Hudsonsoft. (who developed Mario Party 4/5 and Bomberman Generation) In fact, the GameCube may hold easily the biggest multiplayer-focused game of the holiday season with the 16-player capable Mario Kart: Double Dash!!..

I know there's a lot coming for my Xbox too, but I think I'll just go on talking about the GameCube. :) Upcoming titles include Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. How about Pac-Man Vs*? Zelda: Four Swords? Quite possibly the definitive living-room multiplayer game, Mario Party 5? Plus, Iwata's concentration on connectivity is largely focused in the living room with multiple players. I just don't see how anybody can downplay Nintendo in the area of multiplayer.

Yes, they f'ed up on the N64. Yes, the GBA needed an internal light 2 years before it officially got one.. but damnit, their focus on quality multiplayer has been there! Sheesh, this just went from an opinion into a full-on rant.. ;)

* Free

you forgot quite a few good multiplayer games on xbox.

-Kung fu chaos is fun or multiple players
-MogoGp 1 & 2 .4 players are both excellent.
-Project gotham is great multiplayer as well.

Gamecube, no doubt about it. Me and my friends have spent countless hours playing Super Smash Bros, Godzilla Monster Melee, Timesplitters2, BomberMan Generations, Beach Spikers, Mario Party, Super Monkey Ball, Billy Hatcher, etc..

It is not only the sheer volume of multiplayer mayhem, but also the quality of the above mentioned that swing the pendulum towards GCN.

P.S.: 1st post since a long time. Please be gentle.

Quincy: Me? I didn't forget anything, I just didn't care to list my picks on Xbox because I voted for GCN.

Xbox has the advantage on GCN in multiplayer overall.. due to its online play.. but in the living room I'd say it's more GameCube. Still, you can have a hell of a time on Xbox; like SSBM, Halo was the tip of the iceberg. There's dozens of exciting multiplayer games on Xbox.. but the same can be said for GCN (and PS2, less so) except Nintendo has taken the liberty of focusing on one-room multiplayer instead of internet gaming.

I'm surprised no one has complained about the retardly short GC controller cables! Compared to the Xbox ones, they're pretty weak.

zurich said:
a4164 said:
Thats what wavebirds are for :)

I guess, if you don't want rumble and want to deal with batteries :p

Those buggers last INSANELY long. Like 100+ hours.

And rumble? Meh, it's a gimmick. I can live without it, especially in multiplayer where you're paying attention to action and trash-talking, not immersion into the game.

The wavebirds range and functionality (never had any interference problems) is what amazes me. In multiplayer titles I can run to get the door (pizza delivery :LOL:) or to the fridge (beer, soda, etc.). Though this may affect my playing abilities (when I can not see the TV clearly or can only hold the controller with one hand). It serves as a tool for being a great host/hostess. No longer do I have to interrupt the fun by having to pause a game and annoying the other players. Though, I am the only one among my friends to make this sort of sacrifice, in the end, I like being the considerate one in the group. Plus, my house is where those bums drag themselves to play at. I guess you could say I let my friends take advantage of me in this respect...but I always have competition lying around (literally). To me, that is the genius of the wavebird. It serves me well in a unique and special way.

In terms of the rumble feature for multiplayer action in the living room. Ever had 3+ other people, crammed together on a sofa, thats all the rumble you need...

In terms of convenience, and next to the GameBoy, the wavebird is the best thing Nintendo has ever made :)

Few games take good advantage of the rumble packs. All the more love for Silent Hill, which has made extensive good use of it from the very beginning! ^_^

cthellis42 said:
Few games take good advantage of the rumble packs. All the more love for Silent Hill, which has made extensive good use of it from the very beginning! ^_^

Uh... actually, once it became standard in DualShock and once the Rumble Pak proliferated, nearly all N64 and PS1 games had rumble... and every one of my GCN games use it somehow.

"I'm surprised no one has complained about the retardly short GC controller cables!"

Do people actually use controllers other than the wavebird these days? I haven't touched one since I got my wavebird.

Those buggers last INSANELY long. Like 100+ hours.

And rumble? Meh, it's a gimmick. I can live without it, especially in multiplayer where you're paying attention to action and trash-talking, not immersion into the game.

All this reminds of a thread long ago.

cthellis42 said:

Rez! :D

Man, I'd kill to get my hands on one of those TranceSticks.. anyone know if they work with the NTSC/US Rez?

I mean "take advantage" as in "use it well". Really take advantage. Plenty of games use it, but plenty of games distract or annoy me with the rumbling.

Xbox marginally over Gamecube.

Halo
Dead or Alive 3
Kung Fu Chaos
Dungeons & Dragons (don't overlook this one)
Hunter (without the problems on Cube)
Fusion Frenzy
Whacked!
Project Gotham
Rallisport Challenge
Quantum Redshift
Moto GP 1&2

soon.. Top Spin Tennis and Links 2004.

PS: I've never met a girl before who could live without the rumble feature. Especially when in the back of a Warthog. :)

Back