Best console for livingroom multiplayer?

Which console is best for livingroom multiplayer?

• GameCube

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Xbox

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

zurich

Kendoka
Veteran
Was thinking about this today..

For me, I think its a two horse race between the Xbox and GameCube (as they have 4 controller ports, and thus games that support 4 players). However, the PS2 gets honorable mention with its slew of exclusive fighters..

In terms of drunken party gaming, IMO the Xbox pulls ahead with its variety of 4 player co-op, FPS, racing, and fighting games. Super Smash Bros is pretty good, but overall IMO the Cube loses out on this one. It doesn't help that most PS2 game's framerates choke and die in splitscreen too..

What do you guys think?

edit: All time classics with my group of friends (and their respective girlfriends..)

- 4 player Halo, Longest Hallway, Rockets-only Slayer. Oh baby, the purest test of Deathmatch skill possible!
- Couples tag team DoA3 (2 on 2)
- 4 player RSC on the tarmac European levels

edit edit: MSG Federation vs Zeon is still immensely popular aswell, if it is only 2 players :) CANT WAIT FOR AEUG vs TITANS!!!

Xbox and DOA3 is a good and fun fighter. very reaction based and you can see everyone going bonazAAAa with a hit or a hitted! :LOL: at least for moi me! :oops:

ps2? nayh..not even close.
gc? hmm..i guess nintendo party games are fine.

my most fun experiences are up until today, TIMESPLITTERS! :D Both part 1 and 2 were so much of fun through splitscreen. Other great experiences include GT3 over i-link and of course Tekken & EyeToy!

btw; a few beers and eyeToy > everything. :D

i vote for eyetoy. It also provides physical exhaustion (spell ?) witch is far better than any mental one.

also :
btw; a few beers and eyeToy > everything.

can't agree more with that. :D

I must vote for PS2 because of EyeToy.

As almost none of my or my bf's friends that visit regularily are much interested in videogames, EyeToy was the game that they liked to play for hours (and without alcohol).

Also BurnOut2, GT3 and Tekken TAG have been played. Driving games still go down well, but more complex games such as Tekken they get bored quickly.

I could imagine the dance mat games and upcoming Karaoke games would be favorites too.

PS2 could not even give us 4 controller ports, even though you can buy an addon games rarely support it, it pretty much shot itself in the foot on that title..

Gotta go with GC
Super Smash Bros Melee
Super Monkey Ball 1+2
F-Zero GX
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles(import)
Mario Party 4(with Rum and Coke)
Mario Golf
and within a month I can add some Rogue leader coop and Mario Kart to the list.

4 player games are good, but only if you can play tem without the screen divided to 4 small screens.
IMO the playing area in those 4-screen games is much too small for enjoyable gameplay. 2 player on screen divided in 2 is still a compromise, but a little more bearable one.

LisaJoy said:
PS2 could not even give us 4 controller ports, even though you can buy an addon games rarely support it, it pretty much shot itself in the foot on that title..

yeah, and Xbox and GC can both let u play in front of a camera playing what is probably THE best and most innovative party game ever made.... :rolleyes:
i mean, come on do we alway have to go the "OH WELL PS2 COULDNT EVEN GIVE US 4 CONTROLLER PORTS..."

out of all those titles, apart from Mario Kart (which aint even out yet) i cant really see ANYTHING that is as much FUN as EyeToy.

oh, and EyeToy is still number 1 selling item for ps2, out of all the games here in the UK...

You really can't beat the Eye Toy for multiplayer fun, you can even have teams. Gets even more fun when you have 'Drinking Forfeits! This is especially true if your friends arn't particularly into Video Games.

Dance mats can be fun for the girls, and after a few pints us blokes find it fun too :p

And of corse the most Blokie game of all ISS/PES with multitap and 4 controllers; make you're own league out of Friendlies, play 2 on 2 or try and with the cup with all on the same side.

And finally when you come back from the pub, take it in turns to make the bigest crashes in Burnout 2, no skill required - everyone's equal after a night of beering it up.

london-boy said:
LisaJoy said:

yeah, and Xbox and GC can both let u play in front of a camera playing what is probably THE best and most innovative party game ever made.... :rolleyes:
i mean, come on do we alway have to go the "OH WELL PS" COULDNT EVEN GIVE US 4 CONTROLLER PORTS..."

out of all those titles, apart from Mario Kart (which aint even out yet) i cant really see ANYTHING that is as much FUN as EyeToy.

oh, and EyeToy is still number 1 selling item for ps2, out of all the games here in the UK...

thats sad, because that sounds like the gayest thng I have ever heard.

Have to go with the Gamecube.
My favorite multiplayer games would have to be
Supermonkey and Soul Calibur 2, although people keep refusing to play me at Soul Calibur :( .
Looking forward to Maro Kart Double Dash, and Worms 3d which will hopfully live up to expectations.

I can see the fun in the eye toy, but I feel it is over hyped, especially as it is not a new idea.

CC

i voted gamecube

super monkey ball (despite it is not the much played now)
super smash bros melee
bomberman generations !
burnout 2

we can spend a whole evening only playing one of these games..

looking forward for:

mario party
timesplitters 2
super monkey ball 2

i'm sure i forgot some...

my second choice would be the PS2 w/ the eye-toy

I'd go with the PS2 if more of my friends shared my tastes, but since they don't the GameCube is a better repository of multi-player fun. (Well, excepting fighting games, because other than Smash Bros. it is entirely dominated by PS2 and Dreamcast games.)

For the present it's definatly XBox as I see Halo as the spiritual sucessor to other greats like Goldeneye and Duckhunt.

But, I must confess that I'm very excited about the prospects eYeToy will bring to the drunken or otherwise silly antics that you can do with a console. Can anyone say... strip-Eyetoy?

So shamless and fun it'll make those Japanese Rez-addicts look like catholic school girls... err.. maybe that's not the best analogy now-a-days.

nonamer said:
(or DDR, a close second)

LOL! You mean that arcade thing? I tried that once... If you can catch my drift.. heh.

I think each console has couple of excellent party titles:

Xbox has Halo, DOA3, RSC
GC has SSBM, SMB, Mario Party
PS2 has Amplitude, EyeToy, War of the Monsters
Multi: Burnout 2 crash mode is good all around.

Of the upcoming games, the following should be great titles of this kind: Karaoke Revolution (from the makers of Frequency & Amplitude, initial impressions are very favorable), Mario Kart, Crimson Skies, Champions of Norrath.

Back