Benchmark of LG KS20

hmm... It also fails to run the ES 1.1 demos. So those demos must have trilinear enabled. That explains why the PowerVR MBX phones have relatively low FPS for those tests.

AMD's OpenGL ES 1.1 GPU, as part of Qualcomm's MSM7500 chipset, powers the LG KS20.

GLBenchmark rates it, revealing high polygon performance but trouble with several of the tests, including the trilinear filtering one.

http://glbenchmark.com/phonedetails.jsp?benchmark=pro&D=LG KS20&testgroup=lowlevel

I sure hope the fill-rate tests are that low due to a driver bug. Else any 3D applications would run ideal if they'd contain single-texturing and 2 lights at least.

It is partially bad driver implementation when compared to later non-HTC implementations such as the Toshiba G810. The other half is because it seems Qualcomm never licensed the ARM VFP, so many aspects such as lighting that requires optimized math suffers greatly.

Finally, just looking at the maximum OpenGL FPSes achievable by all current MSM72xx based devices are still quite inferior to the TI/Samsung offerings as well as even the ancient Dell Axim.

I think it's worth mentioning that AMD's OpenGL ES 1.x's GPUs only support 1.0 and *some* 1.1 functionality (or at least that is the case of the version in Qualcomm's chips). So at least some of that is likely not a driver problem, but rather a simple hardware limitation.

I think it's worth mentioning that AMD's OpenGL ES 1.x's GPUs only support 1.0 and *some* 1.1 functionality
For the MSM series so far in my experience, it supports MOST of the 1.1 functionality, so it's surprising they don't finish it off and declare it 1.1 officially. Buffer objects, 2 texture units/bump-mapping/per-pixel lighting, vertex skinning, point sprites, draw texture, etc are all supported, and seems well hardware-accelerated.

Maybe some of that 1.1 functionality is software-emulated, but it doesn't explain the poor swapbuffers numbers or the low GLBenchmark HD ES (847fps HTC-official vs 1606+ hacked or non-HTC device) between the same MSM720x-based devices unless that's the difference between VGA and QVGA.

It's easy to rule out CPU since even the superior Touch Pro cpu does not equate better benchmarks.

Back