Baseless Next Generation Rumors with no Technical Merits [post E3 2019, pre GDC 2020] [XBSX, PS5]

Discussion in 'Console Industry' started by BRiT, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

Radeon Pro SSG might have been a good starting point for a development environment (SSD + GPU).

function, dobwal, anexanhume and 2 others like this.
  2. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

I think, if there was ~13TF dev kit in late 2018 or early 2019, it had to be Vega 64/Radeon 7.

3. Proelite

Veteran Regular Subscriber

Or 5700XT clocked at 2.6ghz.

function and AbsoluteBeginner like this.
  4. N2O

N2O
    Regular

Kitchen edition?

5. Nisaaru

Veteran Regular

Giving unstable Devkits to 3rd party with alpha APU/GPUs sounds like an asinine approach. I can't imagine any such developer wants to hunt phantom problems and debug hardware than deal with their own software problems.

6. MrFox

MrFox Deludedly Fantastic
    Legend Veteran

Hmmm... That's awkward. I just got off the phone talking to a friend working in the industry, he said ps5 devkits are 7TF and the rumors probably come from the 16bit TF figure. The specs are being announced tomorrow anyway.

PSman1700, disco_ and Proelite like this.
  7. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

Squirrels in my yard arranged all the acorns left on the ground into a giant 14.4TF and taught themselves how to chant, "PlayStation Five."

8. Proelite

Veteran Regular Subscriber

PSman1700 likes this.
  9. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Aw damn, you guys are too intelligent compared to the rest of the internet! I have no power here!

Proelite and disco_ like this.
  10. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Because the devkit software is so mature at that point?

11. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

You can't even get a spawn thread from this thread... pft.

function and Proelite like this.
  12. TheAlSpark

TheAlSpark Moderator
    Moderator Legend

hm

14 + .4 ?
    ಠ_ಠ

13. dobwal

Legend Veteran

Who wants buggy software on top of buggy hardware?

14. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Shouldn't it be exactly the same as the current-gen SDK but targetting different cpu compiler optimizations? Seems like this would be the most stable sdk transitions we ever had with consoles. At least as a starting point back in 2018.

Proelite likes this.
  15. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

I imagine they'll roll to a recent rev of FreeBSD for the native SSD support.

It's a pretty small group of developers getting kits two years out.

Proelite and BRiT like this.
  16. MrFox

Legend Veteran

Oh I could, I just decided to use that specific power only for good, and as a last resort. It's not for entertaiment, or profit.

Proelite likes this.
  17. Nisaaru

Veteran Regular

No but they are on a complete different level than alpha hardware problems and far easier to identify and a workaround/hope for a quick fix is to be expected. But identifying and isolating hardware related issues isn't a trivial thing and can be extremely frustrating. Something a 3rd party dev *should* not want to be bothered with under any circumstance if they aren't naive/stupid.

P.S. I've done serious low level work in relation to OpenFirmware/Kernel/Drivers/Bootstrapping/Emulation and custom Hardware with preproduction samples of CPU/System/IO controllers. *Nothing* is worse than spurious low-level problems which are to be expected with early prototypes.

anexanhume, Silenti, turkey and 2 others like this.
  18. anexanhume

Veteran Regular

Agreed, which is why I pointed out that distribution of dev kits is likely low anyway two years from launch. At some point the hardware has to differ so much that it loses its utility in being representative. At that stage it could just be an off the shelf PC with Sony’s development environment attached. There wasn’t a good off the shelf equivalent for Xenon, Cell, Jaguar, etc, but that’s no longer the case. Given that fact, I wonder how much utility a hardware dev kit would have versus Sony recommending a spec like PC games do.

19. PSman1700

Legend Newcomer

With the specs going to be between 9 and 12TF for next gen, on advanced architectures and hardware ray tracing, with the inclusion of an SSD instead of a mechanical 5200rpm drive, will we see graphics that come close, or even match the UE4 engine tech demo's from last year?
    They were supposedly running on 2080Ti, more powerfull then both consoles, but optimisations and all.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/New-E...reating-photorealistic-graphics.414824.0.html

20. AbsoluteBeginner

Regular Newcomer

Tbh I was very surprised that last summer Sony sent dev kits out, especially what appears to be dev kits with actual early APU inside. I would have thought with consoles being pretty much supercharged PC's, there would be less need to send dev kits 2 years in advance (especially while providing exact specifications you are shooting).

Going from PS2 to PS3, the jump in processing power and rendering philosophy was extreme. Going from PS3 to PS4, it was a big change as well. But from PS4 to PS5? Or XBX to XSX? Devs can probably shoot for ~2080 performance and port/optimize a game for next gen in few months time tops.

PSman1700 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.