Avowed [XBSX|S, PC, XGP]

What an odd narrative. Outterworlds was made before MS purchased them and has an 82 metacritic. Avowed started development before MS bought them and the scope of the project changed.

IF you want a starfield game out of Obsidian you are going to be waiting 8 years or more because that is how long it takes to make such a game . IF you want multiple aaa games out of obsidian at a time you are going to have to wait for them to grow. It doesn't happen over night. I am sure if avowed was an 8 year game people would complain that there are no games and that the games take too long to release. People were already complaining about Avowed not being released before this e3 as it was.
There's nothing 'odd' about my narrative at all. I'm not even spinning any narrative at all really, just explaining observable, general gamer expectations.

Why are you pointing out that Outer Worlds was made before MS bought them? I'm 100% aware of that and it was very directly an important part of my whole comment. If you're trying to argue Outer Worlds was some huge success and lived up to expectations, I dont know what to say, but it's just not true. It having a more limited budget clearly held it back.

My whole point is that after being bought by Microsoft, people got the idea that they'd be able to go beyond the scope of Outer Worlds 1 thanks to a higher budget, bigger team of people and all that. But this doesn't seem like what Obsidian are doing. Both Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed both seem to be more mid-budget scope games again, and I fear that even if they're very good for what they are, their lack of scope is going to lead to disappointment again.

There's also a big difference between something like Outer Worlds and Starfield, with plenty of middle ground between them. I'm not suggesting Obsidian should be matching such an effort, but even something more along the lines of like Fallout 4 in size/scope with Obsidian's quest design and writing would probably please a ton of people. And it's looking like we're probably not gonna get that.

There's nothing 'odd' about my narrative at all. I'm not even spinning any narrative at all really, just explaining observable, general gamer expectations.

Why are you pointing out that Outer Worlds was made before MS bought them? I'm 100% aware of that and it was very directly an important part of my whole comment. If you're trying to argue Outer Worlds was some huge success and lived up to expectations, I dont know what to say, but it's just not true. It having a more limited budget clearly held it back.

My whole point is that after being bought by Microsoft, people got the idea that they'd be able to go beyond the scope of Outer Worlds 1 thanks to a higher budget, bigger team of people and all that. But this doesn't seem like what Obsidian are doing. Both Outer Worlds 2 and Avowed both seem to be more mid-budget scope games again, and I fear that even if they're very good for what they are, their lack of scope is going to lead to disappointment again.

There's also a big difference between something like Outer Worlds and Starfield, with plenty of middle ground between them. I'm not suggesting Obsidian should be matching such an effort, but even something more along the lines of like Fallout 4 in size/scope with Obsidian's quest design and writing would probably please a ton of people. And it's looking like we're probably not gonna get that.
The problem with your point is that MS just buying Obsidian doesn't magiclly make them a 500+ dev studio.

The studio has 200ish employees and has already released 2 titles since being purchased by MS and has a third one planned to launch next year and one more at least in development. All the games now are games that started prior to the MS acquisition and were designed around a 200dev company. We might see a bigger scope with OW2 depending on its release date and I am sure by avowed 2 they will be a much larger dev house and the scope will increase.

Their output is on par with insomniac which has over 400 employees and insomniac is able to increase the scope because this is the third spiderman game in 5 years using largely the same engine and assets. I am sure once avowed is complete a lot of that work can be used for an avowed 2 or using game pass they might just continue to release expansions for it increasing scope of the game over the years.

The problem with your point is that MS just buying Obsidian doesn't magiclly make them a 500+ dev studio.

The studio has 200ish employees and has already released 2 titles since being purchased by MS and has a third one planned to launch next year and one more at least in development. All the games now are games that started prior to the MS acquisition and were designed around a 200dev company. We might see a bigger scope with OW2 depending on its release date and I am sure by avowed 2 they will be a much larger dev house and the scope will increase.

Their output is on par with insomniac which has over 400 employees and insomniac is able to increase the scope because this is the third spiderman game in 5 years using largely the same engine and assets. I am sure once avowed is complete a lot of that work can be used for an avowed 2 or using game pass they might just continue to release expansions for it increasing scope of the game over the years.
Your point would ring truer if Obsidian hadn't already proven they could do a larger scale game(New Vegas).

Their output is also nothing like Insomniac, who seem capable of releasing full scale AAA games on the regular. Not to say the situations are the same, as RPG's are generally more difficult than action games like Spiderman or R&C.

Your point would ring truer if Obsidian hadn't already proven they could do a larger scale game(New Vegas).

Their output is also nothing like Insomniac, who seem capable of releasing full scale AAA games on the regular. Not to say the situations are the same, as RPG's are generally more difficult than action games like Spiderman or R&C.

But did they ? The game was extremely buggy and was just content added on top of an already completed game. New Vegas was FO3 enhanced. FO3 released in 2008 and NV was 2010. Am I missing a Obsidian Fantasy RPG that released in 2022? Or within the last 5 years that they would be able to access all the textures , completed engine , quest systems and so on ?

But did they ? The game was extremely buggy and was just content added on top of an already completed game. New Vegas was FO3 enhanced. FO3 released in 2008 and NV was 2010. Am I missing a Obsidian Fantasy RPG that released in 2022? Or within the last 5 years that they would be able to access all the textures , completed engine , quest systems and so on ?
Yes they did. New Vegas was made in less than two years and was not just 'added content'. What a completely disingenuous sort of claim. lol It was a complete game on its own.

If your argument strategy here is really to try and downplay New Vegas as just some lazy DLC add-on for FO3, then I think most people can see who is resorting to utter desperation.

Yes they did. New Vegas was made in less than two years and was not just 'added content'. What a completely disingenuous sort of claim. lol It was a complete game on its own.

If your argument strategy here is really to try and downplay New Vegas as just some lazy DLC add-on for FO3, then I think most people can see who is resorting to utter desperation.
which used all the assets from a completed game and all the code.

I think NV is a great game that had a ton of bugs but its a lot different than to create a game from scratch vs taking a completed game like FO3 and using it to create NV.

I asked what completed game does Obsidian have that they could have used to make Avowed from and you still never answered. Or can you show me a huge open world 3d wrpg from them that was not built on the ground up and made in 4 years ? Still waiting . Should be easy for you right ?

Back