Automatic or Manual gear?

How to you like to drive most of the time? Automatic or Manual gear?

• Automatic. It is comfortbal.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Manual. It is fun.

Votes: 64 70.3%

• Total voters
Just for the ones who dont know what is a manual transmission ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

My car has this one:
Manual_Layout_2.PNG
How do you shift into sixth? :-|

At this moment the poll result is:
Automatic. It is comfortable. 18 votes 30.51%
Manual. It is fun. 41 votes 69.49%
Total 59 votes.
I am really impressed with how many people enjoy drive with manual transmission :oops: :cool:

Thanks all

It's because Automatics don't have true mechanical gears in the same sense that manuals do. Automatics have a series of hydraulically engaged clutches, and these clutches are never fully engaged nor disengaged. There is always some slippage present in them.

We had an 60's, automatic Humber Vogue which used an entirely different clutch system.

IIRC, instead of hydraulics, it used two concentric cyclinders which had iron filings in the small gap between the cylinders. An electromagnet surrounded the unit and, to engage the clutch, the magentic field was then set up which, I guess, aligned the filings and locked the two cylinders together.

Just for the ones who dont know what is a manual transmission ;) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission

My car has this one:
Manual_Layout_2.PNG

eh, here's mine

Code:
    1  3
    |  |
  - N -+
 |  |  |
 R  2  4

(btw drawing ascii on such forums sucks :mad: )

missing that fifth on highways, but it's okay on normal roads and city/town (most of my driving)
(all manual cars have had at least 5 gears for the last 15 years or so)

Last edited by a moderator:
Manual, automatic just eats up to much gas compared and I like the feel of control I get with manual.

But you have two hands, that is what the E-brake is for :)

This has just reminded me of a bit of a pet gripe. Why do they call it an E-Brake in America (and perhaps elsewhere?) my understanding is that it stands for Emergency Brake? What kind of emergency? I certainly wouldn't recommend using it whilst driving (unless of course you want to do a slide).

Just checking online found this reference.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=e-brake

CC

This has just reminded me of a bit of a pet gripe. Why do they call it an E-Brake in America (and perhaps elsewhere?) my understanding is that it stands for Emergency Brake? What kind of emergency? I certainly wouldn't recommend using it whilst driving (unless of course you want to do a slide).

Just checking online found this reference.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=e-brake

CC

It's only called an E-Brake by the ignorant.

It's generally called a Parking Brake. That's what it's called in owners manuals, and is usually written somewhere in the brake or brake release lever.

And that's what it really is, a parking brake. It should NEVER be applied while the car is in motion.

It's only called an E-Brake by the ignorant.

It's generally called a Parking Brake. That's what it's called in owners manuals, and is usually written somewhere in the brake or brake release lever.

And that's what it really is, a parking brake. It should NEVER be applied while the car is in motion.

An emergency brake is a separate brake system in a vehicle for use in case of failure of the regular (hydraulic or air) brakes and commonly used as a parking brake in automobiles. Also called hand brake, many people shorten emergency and call the devices e-brakes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_brake

So I got this Bora with tiptronic and it is not like my manual Golf.

Anyone using it (tiptronic)? Will I ever get used to it?

At this moment the poll result is:

I am really impressed with how many people enjoy drive with manual transmission :oops: :cool:

Thanks all

Or rather, have never drivin a decent car ;) Manuals are crap, only americans and japanese drive them.

Manual, automatic just eats up to much gas compared and I like the feel of control I get with manual.

If any you'll have less controll with a automatic because you cant decide when you want to shift or how you want to engine to run.

The only ''manual'' I'll have is one like in the 430 scuderia, 60ms for shifting is just bloody fast (same as Ferrari 2004 F1 car) and even if it would drive bad I'd still want it for the awsome sound it makes :D

Totally depends on the car.

A Merc must have automatic gear, its a comfort car first and foremost (its also proven that Merc's custumers even second hand buyers are extremely discriminating against manual gears, thus Merc's without manual gear looses its value way faster than automatic gear boxes. The differences are up to 10% in value reduction per year on some models in norway).

A BMW must have manual as most of those are typical drivers cars.

For anything with forward wheel drive you can have an automatic, as automatic gearing is more comfortable, and there is little point in trying to turn a FWD car into a sportscar anyway.

Other than that, i guess it depends on your driving style. If you drive sporty and have a RWD\4WD car, go ahead and get that manual gearbox. If you dont drive like your in a rush to get somewhere all the time, get the automatic.

Personally, considering how good new automatic gearboxes can be, i prefer automatic, good automatic boxes downshifts perfectly every time you want it to, so its all good, and its a total blessing for when your driving in heavy trafic.

So I got this Bora with tiptronic and it is not like my manual Golf.

Anyone using it (tiptronic)? Will I ever get used to it?

Tiptronic is basically an automatic gear box with the option to manually select gears right? Either by the paddle system or through the gearbox. In my opinion its a total waste of time, my Merc had a similar system, and i found it better just to floor the throttle below the kickdown level (so that the automatic gearbox itself downshifts perfectly).

thats what i was thinking......of course, unless there's nowhere for you to go, if you are being tailgated, that means the person behind you wants to go faster, which means you should move over or speed up until you can move over, doesn't matter how fast you are going, if the limit is 70 and you are doing 80 and a guy runs up behind you fast, MOVE!

I disagree. If your at the speed limit and unable to move over then to hell with the guy behind. He has no right to get past you and you have no obligation to let him.

When people do that to me, I slow down more. And if I really take a disliking to the idiot, then when he pulls out to get past me, I speed up so he can't :LOL:

EDIT: Lol, I didn't realise the post I was responding too was 2 years old! I voted manual anyway. Automatics are boring.

Back