Automatic or Manual gear?

How to you like to drive most of the time? Automatic or Manual gear?

• Automatic. It is comfortbal.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • Manual. It is fun.

Votes: 64 70.3%

• Total voters
automatic gear is something of a rarity over here in western europe. only big cars with big engines have them
Really? It's the exact opposite over here. Manual is the exception, everyone seems to have an automatic. :???:

A lot of american car makers don't even offer the option of a manual anymore, it's sad. :(

thats what i was thinking......of course, unless there's nowhere for you to go, if you are being tailgated, that means the person behind you wants to go faster, which means you should move over or speed up until you can move over, doesn't matter how fast you are going, if the limit is 70 and you are doing 80 and a guy runs up behind you fast, MOVE!

I think that's pretty stupid advice.

I'm sorry I think I misunderstood the situation...
I didn't realise that you guys were talking about a road that has passing lane...
I thought you were talking about a road that has only one lane per direction. I hate passing lane hoggers as much as anybody, if there is a faster car behind.

digitalwanderer said:
Really? It's the exact opposite over here. Manual is the exception, everyone seems to have an automatic.

A lot of american car makers don't even offer the option of a manual anymore, it's sad.
That's because, by and large, American cars are soft-suspension waterbeds on wheels with low efficiency engines designed to drive long distances in comfort on flat or low-gradient freeways and in an economy where fuel is cheap. European cars, by comparison, are designed for narrow lanes and congested cities, all up-hill and down-dale where the quality of the road surface is generally lower and the price of petrol much, much higher.

That's because, by and large, American cars are soft-suspension waterbeds on wheels with low efficiency engines designed to drive long distances in comfort on flat or low-gradient freeways and in an economy where fuel is cheap. European cars, by comparison, are designed for narrow lanes and congested cities, all up-hill and down-dale where the quality of the road surface is generally lower and the price of petrol much, much higher.

Not where I live in PA. The roads here are so bad compared to Melbourne where I grew up that I'm thinking of petitioning the government for a tax break or subsidy on shock absorbers.

I drive auto because my car doesn't have an option for a pure manual.

But it is a 5 speed automatic that I normally have in the manual shift mode.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in England and I've driven manuals my entire life.
The last couple of years I've had to buy automatics because my other half can't drive a manual, and my commute went from none existent to stulpid and I have to say although I'd rather drive a manual, when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic on my morning commute I really like the automatic.

Really? It's the exact opposite over here. Manual is the exception, everyone seems to have an automatic. :???:

A lot of american car makers don't even offer the option of a manual anymore, it's sad. :(

That's because you have cheap gas. In a few years I'm sure the trend will changes as gas prices continue to rise though.
I prefer manual primarily because of better fuel economy. On rental cars I prefer automatic though because automatics are much easier to drive and each manual car has their own special clutch/gas balance that takes a while learn. Also, for precision driving automatic is really great. If you need to move the car 5cm, that's far from easy to do on a manual since you essentially need to handle all of clutch, gas and brake at the same time (and I only have two feet). On an automatic you only need to care about the brake in such a situation, so it's no problem at all.

Manual here.
I damaged a bearing of my middle differential though. I have to be really careful apparently because of a worn out clutch and an annoying "comfort-gas-pedal" (Audi 100 ´89) which reacts to the slightest tap.

That's because you have cheap gas. In a few years I'm sure the trend will changes as gas prices continue to rise though.

I doubt that. Most people over here have no clue how to drive a manual and don't want to learn.

My current car is a manual, but my last one was a auto and I had it for about 6 1/2 years. The last 6 months driving it were torture, knowing that I would be getting a new car soon and that it would be a manual.

And besides being more fun (at least if the car has some decent power), I think it makes me a better driver because I have to pay attention to whats going on. That and I can't have a cell phone in one hand, a coke in the other and shift and steer all at the same time. When I did have to drive an automatic for a week or two, I found that my mind would wander off and I'd have no real memory of what happened while I was driving.

Meh, manual is overrated imo. Automatic is good to have with all the stop and go traffic and I personally think shifting is distracting when the time would be better spent keeping an eye on the road and your surroundings.

I do have a 5 speed shiftronic transmission though, automatic with the non clutch shifting as an option.

Automatic since 95 or so. Never going back. After spending lots of time in traffic jams you learn to appreciate it.

Also nice since you have one hand free for holding a cigarette or playing with the girl beside you or such.

I visited family in France and they where like: " oh you drive an automatic , well girls drive automatic gear here ..." hah .
Well so far my first automatic gear drive . my BMW drives fantastic with auto gear, just sometimes i wish i could have manual gear.

Automatic since 95 or so. Never going back. After spending lots of time in traffic jams you learn to appreciate it.

Also nice since you have one hand free for holding a cigarette or playing with the girl beside you or such.

automatic + cruisecontrol :cool:

Manual by far. Cant stand autos, tho I imagine those BMW autos would change my mind. Here in NZ autos are for drag cars, businesses and girls. Though younger woman seem to be more into manuals these days with the popularity of rally cars and boy racing.

I loved smoking while driving my manual, it's perfectly possible and it was fun (be it a cigarrette or something else). too bad I quit two monthes ago.

-> Anova : uh, I'm constantly keeping an eye (actually, both) on the road. do you watch your gas pedal?
BTW I'm not distracted by LCD screens, A/C controls, loads of crap or even rev-meter.. my car is old and low end so it doesn't have those things :)

I think stop and go traffic is the best argument. though a hybrid would be even better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back