ATI/nVidia sales data

Without the Radeon 9000, 9500, and 9500 Pro, would ATI's sales increased nearly as dramatically? I don't think so, and I think that's the point the article was making...

Do you think the 9000, 9500, and 9500 Pro would be as popular, if the 9700 didn't exist?

Joe the reason that they are clawing market share away, as it said is because they have a high end part. And mainly because their mid range part is better (cheaper to produce). What many people fail to see is Nvidia shot themselves, they hyped the GeFX which killed sales on their other units, they might have thought it would stave off ship jumping, but overall people who love ATI don't care, Nvidiots don't care, and rational people don't care, b/c
A. unless they need to upgrade they wont, and
B. Everyone here realizes something great is just around the corner it always is, so there is no real reason to wait.

andyway, I loved the article especially the part about AMD, AMd has lost so much of their momentum, but I guess losing insane amounts of money does that to you. their products are not cheap now, they are performance wise expensive, OEM's dont use them really. I wish they would get their crap together.

Of course on the otherside, at least their 1800+ and thereabouts are a great deal.

According to the article at THG, it says the source is NPD Techworld, who "tracks point-of-purchase graphics card retail sales in the U.S. (100% of the retail channel). " *emphasis mine.

This implies the data is soley demonstrative of less than 10% of the worldwide market (OEM and white box sales account for roughly 85-90%).

Clearly this is interesting data, but hardly representative enough of the overall market to make any judgments about whether one is gaining, much less taking sockets from the other.

Much more worrisome to me as an investor and enthusiast, though little discussed, is Intel and its continued gain in overall market share at the expense of both ATI and Nvidia. Intel is currently no. 2 in overall worldwide market share behind Nvidia and ahead of ATI.

Back