ATI has the A12 stepping of the R420 now (maybe, its INQ).

Re: ATI has the A12 stepping of the R420 now (maybe, its INQ

{Sniping}Waste said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=14302
If its true then it might be a early luanch. :p

It makes more sense for ATI to let nVidia launch first and announce target clocks, which can give ATI a little more room to "fine tune" their own clocks before shipping. (Though I wouldn't be surprised to see both companies "fine tune clocks" after they announce their respective targets.)

It would also give ATI's resellers more time to get rid of current stock before putting the newer cores up for sale.

Because R3xx based products are generally seen as the better product than the NV3x products, it's in nVidia's best interest to announce first. Though I do hope this means that ATI will have a very quick "launch to availability" turn around.

A12 is the stepping of silicon that means that the chip is ready for production and we are told that cards could be available much closer then planned, just depending on the marketing department saying yes.
While it might be A12, and it might be ready, I somehow don't think the two are related.

I guess it could be, though I've never seen that designation used. You'd think they'd use "A1", like the steaksauce, to designate when it was done if there was such a magical moniker.

RussSchultz said:
A12 is the stepping of silicon that means that the chip is ready for production and we are told that cards could be available much closer then planned, just depending on the marketing department saying yes.
While it might be A12, and it might be ready, I somehow don't think the two are related.

I guess it could be, though I've never seen that designation used. You'd think they'd use "A1", like the steaksauce, to designate when it was done if there was such a magical moniker.

I believe the initial tape-out was A10 (as in revision 1.0) and now they are on the third tape-out/incarnation of the original silicon so it is A12 (revision 1.2). I wouldnt be suprised if the refresh products are stepping A2X.

lost said:
I believe the initial tape-out was A10 (as in revision 1.0) and now they are on the third tape-out/incarnation of the original silicon so it is A12 (revision 1.2). I wouldnt be suprised if the refresh products are stepping A2X.
I think at ATi each new chip (R(V)xyz) tape out is called A10, even refreshes (i.e. R350, R360).

cu

incurable

Back