Ati has problems with Low-K?

vb

Regular
LINK

Digitimes story said:
The tight supply of ATI Technologies’ graphics chipsets, particularly the Radeon 9600XT line, will ease by the end of March, company chairman and CEO Ho Kwok- yuen said in Taipei late last week.

vb said:
LINK

Digitimes story said:
The tight supply of ATI Technologies’ graphics chipsets, particularly the Radeon 9600XT line, will ease by the end of March, company chairman and CEO Ho Kwok- yuen said in Taipei late last week.

In absence of other evidence, I'd sooner guess that they mispredicted demand.

vb said:
LINK

Digitimes story said:

This link says nothing about low-k - there's no reason here to assume they have any problems. You could just as easily make the thread subject "ATI selling low-k products faster than they can manufacture them".

Entropy said:
In absence of other evidence, I'd sooner guess that they mispredicted demand.

Yup.

I wonder if MSI has something to do with this....perhaps ATI was giving a very heavy allocation to MSI for their product launch this month, causing general shortages all around....

Nothing says production is restrained. It just could be they are already at 100 % production and demand is still higher.

PatrickL said:
Nothing says production is restrained. It just could be they are already at 100 % production and demand is still higher.
Well i don't know how you think, but for me being at 100% of the capacities and not being able to go higher means that the production is being restrained :?

Hum you never worked with an industry before? Your supplier need time between the time you ask them to provide more and the time they can deliver it :)

Don't dream too much evildeus, it would be rather strange to see the chip starting to have production problems six months after launch :)

As I pointed out in the other thread, its about 2 months for a silicon spin and this also applies to production - it'll take at least two months between asking for supply and getting it, and that is assuming there is capacity available on your process.

PatrickL said:
Hum you never worked with an industry before?
Yes some months. But now i'm more in services ;)

Your supplier need time between the time you ask them to provide more and the time they can deliver it :)
Oh, then ati is at fault for the restraining then, bad estimation ;).

Don't dream too much evildeus, it would be rather strange to see the chip starting to have production problems six months after launch :)
Why would i dream? For what? Well, if you can't surpass a certain amount and you were below this amount till now for exemple, then it doesn't seems strange at all.

the point is, ati has some issues with the 9600 XT production, which is the sole one using Low-k. I don't think it's unatural to wonder if the low-k is causing this. I have no idea, and frankly i don't mind. But it seems that you mind it. Now, could you tell me why there'ld be some production limitation on the 9600 XT production? ;)

Evildeus said:
the point is, ati has some issues with the 9600 XT production, which is the sole one using Low-k.

Hmmm...I haven't heard that there's a shortage of Mobility 9600 / 9700 parts...also using Low-K.

Now, could you tell me why there'ld be some production limitation on the 9600 XT production? ;)

Because there isn't unlimited capacity? Because having too much stock costs $$?

Evildeus said:
Now, could you tell me why there'ld be some production limitation on the 9600 XT production? ;)
The problem isn't a production limitation, the problem was the 9600 XT sold like hot cakes and even though they knew it was going to be popular they STILL underestimated how great the demand for it would be. 8)

Joe DeFuria said:
Evildeus said:
the point is, ati has some issues with the 9600 XT production, which is the sole one using Low-k.

Hmmm...I haven't heard that there's a shortage of Mobility 9600 / 9700 parts...also using Low-K.
The tight supply of ATI Technologies’ graphics chipsets, particularly the Radeon 9600XT line, will ease by the end of March, company chairman and CEO Ho Kwok-yuen said in Taipei late last week.

Because there isn't unlimited capacity? Because having too much stock costs $$?
i said said:
being at 100% of the capacities and not being able to go higher means that the production is being restrained

digitalwanderer said:
Evildeus said:
The problem isn't a production limitation, the problem was the 9600 XT sold like hot cakes and even though they knew it was going to be popular they STILL underestimated how great the demand for it would be. 8)
Sure, that was what i said ;)
Ed said said:
ati is at fault for the restraining then, bad estimation

The problem isn't a production limitation, the problem was the 9600 XT sold like hot cakes and even though they knew it was going to be popular they STILL underestimated how great the demand for it would be.

I agree. A popular local hardware shop where I wanted to buy a retail 9600XT from has been sold out for well over a month and they still don’t have any. Many other places like Future Shop and other online shops including NCIX, Dangeo were/are still out of ATI 9600XT’s. Finally got fed up waiting, went to Best Buy and made them price match the lowest online price I could find.

Yeah, 'cause overtaking NVIDIA in sales and marketshare and having high margins equates to problems with the chip and nothing at all to do with an undersupply due to high demand. :rolleyes:

martrox said:
Could it be ......they are selling more 9600XT's then they had originally planed on? DUH!
true. maybe they also dont want to have too much stock when next gen stuff comes out.

later,
epic

Exactly. What Evildeus does not want to acknowledge is that having one chip unsold and in stock costs way more than having sold one chip more.

When you have to make an estimation about the demand you will target 100 % demand satisfied. But if you underestimate the demand it is way less damaging than overestimating it.

Back