AthlonXP3000+ --> Athlon64 3500+ worth it?

I read somewhere that M2 will have the same processors as 939 does with the only difference being M2 will support DDR2. This has left me wondering if this is a prudent move. DDR2 has faster clocks but higher latency and I am not sure there will be much of a real world performance gain between the two. Intel sure doesn't seem to gain much from DDR2. QDR is probably the next great step for memory seeing as DDR3 is hella expensive.

(I am admittedly not an expert in this area so if anyone wants to correct me, shoot. :p )

_xxx_ said:
Thinking about souping up my rig a bit, how much of a performance gain can I expect? Is it worth it? Gaming is the only area of interest.

2x512MB DDR400, GF6800GT, 2x160 GB WD IDE drives, the rest is uninteresting.

I had a XP @ 1466MHz and then uppgraded to the CPU you have ie Barton 3000+ @ stock 2167MHz. Instead of bying a 6800NU with 256MB i took those money and bought an extra 512Meg to mainMEM(had only 512 before the hollidays). Had pretty good luck as the 6800NU is gone now and i got a ex that did unlock to 16/6. So for my part i will probably stay with this rig for another year or two cause i will go for the S940 for AMD later and a K8L if they have come out, or atleast thats the plan. On the other hand seeing how cheap you can get a monster S939 system with a 7800GT for ex(actually affordable to have them in SLI) i sure get tempted but for now im pretty satisfied. I realize this may not help you so much but it can be good too hear a POV from someone with an almost identical system hopefully :) And i see your happy with your new toy, congratz!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you considering 3800+s, how are Opteron 165s priced near you? You get a lower clock speed, but twice the L2 and supposedly lower voltages, and still s939. You should be able to OC to compensate, and the extra L2 surely can't hurt.

Just relaying what I've heard, don't hold me to guaranteed OCs and all that.

Edit: BTW, speaking of M2 and future memory tech, AMD just signed an agreement with Rambus. :devilish:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back