Atari Flashback Classics [PS4, XO] (March 2017). There was a time, at the dawn of gaming

Sure, but they had no depth or content and gameplay is basic. It's the same experience level after level after level with nothing but a high score to push you forwards. Actually that sounds like modern mobile gaming... And you can buy modern substitutes for those games now that are far more entertaining, so why waste money on a less entertaining BRD? eg. Why play Breakout when Arkanoid improved so much on the formula (because tech enabled it to)?

Best animation series ever is Avatar. Modern tech makes it far more visually pleasing and that's coupled with best story telling, characters, plotting, balance between seriousness and humour, and execution. Then go watch something like Danger Mouse with its 6 frames of animation and empty backgrounds, or The Flintstones with their infinitely long corridors, or He-Man with its recycled poses. Even something like Cities of Gold only really compares these days because its shortcomings are filtered through nostalgia's rose spectacles.

Anyone who's ever impulse buought a DVD of an old cartoon favourite like Danger Mouse knows what I'm talking about. You remember it being very entertaining but with adult eyes and the progress of time, it's a barren wasteland devoid of almost all appeal. Anyone who experiences such a draw to this collection, tied to starry-eyed memories of innocent yesterday entertainment, needs our help and support to not succumb, and not arguments defending these products!
I have to partly disagree and partly agree about the animation. First animated cartoons (looney toons, popeye, disney, tom and jerry, Mighty Mouse, the old Superman classic etc) has some amazingly smooth animation without the assistance of good tech. And also were synced with music..Animation literally danced with the sounds and music.. Everything was manually handrawn. It was pure art. Then as they were trying to cut back costs and make more commercial animation we got Danger Mouse and the newer iterations of classics which sucked in everything. 80s and 90s were probably the downfall. Today they are improved but still lack the artistic human touch of the old. Today animation drawings are blocky, flat, and use vectors.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk

160x192 was the effective maximum resolution using sprites, but the background ("playfield") was limited to only 40x192. It wasn't for another good 10 years or so that home consoles could start feasibly doing resolutions around 512x480 and even then it was used very sparingly.
Thank you, I found the information fascinating! I always wondered about the resolution/limitations of the older stuff. :)