ASUS ROG Ally, twice the power of the Steam Deck. 120Hz, 500 nits.

Asus also sells their stuff to more regions than xbox and steam deck combined. So if ally also released on all asus regions, it'll be very good gaming device for lots of ppl
Given most PC games are sold via Steam, this is great for Valve. Which begs the question, was SteamDeck just a project to kickstart this form factor into the maintstream? It costs less money to be the middle-man for game sales than it does to R&D a new hardware platform.

I'm not sure this is for me. Most of the games I play on PCs, which are 4X or RTS, really benefit from a big screen.

Given most PC games are sold via Steam, this is great for Valve. Which begs the question, was SteamDeck just a project to kickstart this form factor into the maintstream? It costs less money to be the middle-man for game sales than it does to R&D a new hardware platform.

I'm not sure this is for me. Most of the games I play on PCs, which are 4X or RTS, really benefit from a big screen.

so steam deck basically served its purpose much better than microsoft surface, i guess.

decent article but I find it odd that they wnat to compare the 512gig deck to the 512 on the ally for pricing but then talk about how its easier to upgrade the m.2 on the ally. It's an odd thing to bring up. Steam deck is a few minute process and if you buy the $400 steam deck for $80 you can put a 1TB nvme in or for $150 you can put a 2TB. So it be $480/$550 vs $700 for the 512 gig ally.

Ally has the better apu of course being over a year newer. I do wonder if Valve will put out a new main board for the deck

Someone need to test a clean windows or steam os.
Without knowing any actual technical details as none were posted that I could read in that link, could it be tied to 7840U desktop product having more memory bandwidth?

Saw this in the replies:

Digital foundry found a glitch that thr ally underperforms when it's connected to a power source as it things it's connected to the xdg mobile gpu. Due this it's apparently putting my power on the cpu than the gpu. That plus z1 specific drivers should hopefully ease things put.

Sorry OrangePal, thought you'd have seen it. I haven't liked Asus for over a decade now, the last boards I had from them all had weird glitchy problems so I've been avoiding them. Steve at Gamers Nexus seems to have gotten sick of them too:

TL/DW - Asus 670 mobos are blowing up AMD chips due to unreported/improperly reported over volting and their fixes/remedies are a study in how not to respond to bad PR.

EDITED BITS: Jay jumped on the bandwagon a bit later and fired Asus as a sponsor.

I have problems with Asus' products, product support, and PR. I ain't giving them any of my monies any time soon.

Sorry OrangePal, thought you'd have seen it. I haven't liked Asus for over a decade now, the last boards I had from them all had weird glitchy problems so I've been avoiding them. Steve at Gamers Nexus seems to have gotten sick of them too:

TL/DW - Asus 670 mobos are blowing up AMD chips due to unreported/improperly reported over volting and their fixes/remedies are a study in how not to respond to bad PR.

EDITED BITS: Jay jumped on the bandwagon a bit later and fired Asus as a sponsor.

I have problems with Asus' products, product support, and PR. I ain't giving them any of my monies any time soon.

now thats the real digi hahaha.

about that overvolting stuff.
other brands also did that too.

my MSI motherboard by default overvolted my Ryzen 5600x to.... uh.... i think it was 1.45v. resulting in overheating even when in BIOS screen.

the fix? simply disable the "motherboard supplied parameter", hidden under overclocking submenu (how ironic...). so now it use the parameters from the CPU.

now thats the real digi hahaha.

about that overvolting stuff.
other brands also did that too.

my MSI motherboard by default overvolted my Ryzen 5600x to.... uh.... i think it was 1.45v. resulting in overheating even when in BIOS screen.

the fix? simply disable the "motherboard supplied parameter", hidden under overclocking submenu (how ironic...). so now it use the parameters from the CPU.
I think however the asus boards are the only ones killing the 3d cache parts from amd

This was the tipping point video that convinced me to preorder. June 13th will be here before you know it.
AVvXsEhjv3X4EBDgpqyl8HGq82ZrCq2VDjWTq_ZYcPYCd3B5YjDamBh9hlUeqgPwuhAp-miqNcHYLJA0Fp1Mbm6TS8veXH2ziw6TJeJZPOshIRdn3Id2LzW6xZ4VB6UKk4nU-mYKyKDslPwpUKO9zK7is3z83xskos_mH53rG9IkOWRDftzt99w9DADDEoMzeA

It's a really nice device.

I am keeping an eye on this, feels like it's just a matter of time before I pick one up.

I am keeping an eye on this, feels like it's just a matter of time before I pick one up.
I'm not a Steam deck owner and I have a decent gaming pc. That said, it's solid in terms of hardware. Both Sonic Generations and Hi-Fi Rush ran at 1080p @ 60fps. Both with options to run at 120fps. I couldn't imagine taking Civilization 6 or Cities Skyline to the couch before in this capacity but now, it is at least possible. I think even with the price, it is punching above it's weight.

I'm not a Steam deck owner and I have a decent gaming pc. That said, it's solid in terms of hardware. Both Sonic Generations and Hi-Fi Rush ran at 1080p @ 60fps. Both with options to run at 120fps. I couldn't imagine taking Civilization 6 or Cities Skyline to the couch before in this capacity but now, it is at least possible. I think even with the price, it is punching above it's weight.
great stuff. How much did it cost if that's not asking much?

Can it run Crysis? :giggle:

Well, actual question is..., how does it run Diablo 4?

Benchmarks and review in german: https://www.pcgameshardware.de/Asus...enchmark-Test-Vergleich-Steam-Deck-1421449/2/

They conclude, although better perf. at high TDP, Steam Deck remains the better option.
Windows seems not ready yet. Updates, new firmware needed... so the launch is not smooth it seems.
I hope this changes until AMDs Strix Point / Halo comes out. If i got it right, it will have massive GPU increase, and most importantly: 200 GB/s of bandwidth.
For me this would be the turning point. Likely, the next dGPU i'll order will be the last one.

Cant you just install steamos to Rog ally?
Good question.
But if this just works, somebody should try it out, mainly to see how much performance we loose with SteamOS by emulating Win32 and DX12. This can't be totally for free.
Has anybody done this?

However, the proposal won't fix the seemingly bad impression from the ROG. Did not watch any YT reviews, but the headlines and faces i see above are quite telling.
So Asus should have made sure all necessary updates are already installed, and eventually add some custom SW to make UX better.
Surely no big problem for power users, but they target mainstream. And MS might give a helping hand too. They surely want Windows gamers, not Linux gamers.

Back