Asura's Wrath !!!!

More specifically it feels like an anime with intense over the top fight scenes which in my opinion is the best type of anime.

I like it. It reminds of a lot of different Anime's mixed into one and Conan the Barbarian movie for some reason.

After the disappointing Ninja Gaiden 3 gameplay vids, I think this beat 'em up is looking to fill that void.

Yeah ! The art style is so unique and the buddhist music roped me in. Feels like an ANime !
The music threw me utterly. They've used existing classical pieces, to strange effect. The first piece is the second movement from Dvorak's New World symphony, which is supposed to use american negro themes (which I'm not hearing myself), but which is eternally associated in the UK with the North and workin down t' mine 14 hour a day in cloth cap, then on 'ome t' sum bread unt a nice cuppa. It really can't be used in any other context in the UK.

As existing classical melodies are well known and already have interpretations by the listeners, often coloured by advertising, I'd avoid using them in games except something like Eternal Sonata which is about the music, or where the themes are common (eg. Ride of the Valkyries works in any rampaging event in game).

Thanks for that.

I loved Bayonetta, NG and NG2. This game, at least what was shown so far, seems to fit that niche for me.

For people who like Asura's Wrath, Siliconera.com put up a 2-part interview:
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/18/asuras-wrath-interview-part-1-arms-arent-everything/
http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/19/asuras-wrath-interview-part-2-demigods-and-people/

How does that work into the gameplay? Most action games start with a weak hero who grows strong at the end. In Asura’s Wrath you start with maybe two arms, move to six, then to zero, then there’s an ultimate form somewhere in the middle.

Hiroshi Matsuyama, CEO of CyberConnect2: The game progression will have ups and downs. Asura fights based on his anger, so it will be like an emotional roller coaster. We didn’t want to make a game where you were weak in the beginning and strong at the end. Depending how angry Asura is will affect the situation.

You need those ups and downs. When you hit rock bottom from there Asura can explode with anger. So, we wanted those extremes in Asura’s Wrath.

How can you top a boss battle where you fight Wyzen who is bigger than a planet?

HM: It’s not just a matter of size. [Laughs.] Wyzen is a big fight, but there are other demigods with different fighting styles and abilities. Their fights will be as epic, if not more so, than growing larger than a planet. We want everyone to know, whatever your expectations are of Asura’s Wrath we want to surprise you because there are so many unexpected elements in the game. Please look forward to that.

etc.

Anyone try the demo yet? It's completely stupid, but in a good way. It seems to be very heavy on the QTE's though. I'm not always sure that what I'm doing has any relation to what's going on on screen. Or what's going on in general.

I'm not always sure that what I'm doing has any relation to what's going on on screen. Or what's going on in general.

That's how I feel everyday!

Started the download of the demo this morning before heading out. I haven't been keeping up with the title so I was surprised to see its demo on the PSN store.

Anyone try the demo yet? It's completely stupid, but in a good way. It seems to be very heavy on the QTE's though. I'm not always sure that what I'm doing has any relation to what's going on on screen. Or what's going on in general.

Yes. It is qtes boiled down to their most ludicrous and most sublime. No one would complain about qtes if they were all this crazy and awesome.

It's a Cyber Connect title, right? Their games have always been very entertaining, QTE driven style over substance affairs. A Naruto fan will probably try to convince you just how deep the Ultimate Ninja series is, but you can safely discard that as complete rubbish.

So kind of like a modern day Dragon's Lair? :D Well, other than the game actually telling you what buttons to push.

Regards,
SB

More like Heavy Rain, only instead of drinking OJ when you do the input right, you get to punch a divine being to death!

It's a Cyber Connect title, right? Their games have always been very entertaining, QTE driven style over substance affairs. A Naruto fan will probably try to convince you just how deep the Ultimate Ninja series is, but you can safely discard that as complete rubbish.

Heh, I was lost in the sea of missiles, fists and explosions but managed to punch (read: spam) through all the confusion. ^_^

More like Heavy Rain, only instead of drinking OJ when you do the input right, you get to punch a divine being to death!

The over-the-top fighting reminds me more of Dragonballs Z. The characters are all very anime/manga-like, strong personality with powerful focus and will.

Sure, I just mean in terms of a QTE driven design. I thought all the actions you are prompted to do are well designed and make sense. Pushing up with both sticks to lift both arms, spinning the left stick to wind up a punch, and the back and forth battle to build up your overdrive meter by hammering on a button as fast as possible. It's sharply planned and really drew me in to the action. I think it's very comparable to Heavy Rain's thoughtful and deliberate use of QTEs.

Back